A thank you

Rich Coyle

Good morning, gents. One of our .com friends suggested for sighting in I should fire one shot. Then try not to move the rifle and twist the turret to center the reticle on the bullet hole. After bore sighting today I used his suggestion. I fired five more. The group was only 1/2" low and 1/2" left of desired zero.

So a hearty "Thank you", my .com friend. Very sorry I didn't note your name at the time.

Good morning, gents. One of our .com friends suggested for sighting in I should fire one shot. Then try not to move the rifle and twist the turret to center the reticle on the bullet hole. After bore sighting today I used his suggestion. I fired five more. The group was only 1/2" low and 1/2" left of desired zero.

So a hearty "Thank you", my .com friend. Very sorry I didn't note your name at the time.
Happy you learned something, which is how I do it also. Minimizes the number of rounds needed to zero. Now go shoot something.

I helped many a neophyte shooter by pulling the bolt, looking through the barrel & centering the rifling around the target, then glance up through the scope without moving the rifle and dial the reticle to center on the target. You can get any rifle on the paper without firing a shot.

Once you're on paper, the method mentioned by Rich works great.

Or, shoot, put the reticle on the bullet hole, and dial the crosshairs to the bullseye...and as VH mentioned, start by pulling the bolt and centering the bore on the target. It will usually get you on the paper at 25yds.

Or, shoot, put the reticle on the bullet hole, and dial the crosshairs to the bullseye...and as VH mentioned, start by pulling the bolt and centering the bore on the target. It will usually get you on the paper at 25yds.
I think if you put the reticle on the bullet hole and dial to the bullseye, you will end up twice as far from the bullseye on the next shot.

I helped many a neophyte shooter by pulling the bolt, looking through the barrel & centering the rifling around the target, then glance up through the scope without moving the rifle and dial the reticle to center on the target. You can get any rifle on the paper without firing a shot.

I figured this out years back as well. Saved me a ton of frustration and ammo cost ever since!

+1

I think if you put the reticle on the bullet hole and dial to the bullseye, you will end up twice as far from the bullseye on the next shot.
Exactly correct.
The method is know as the " one shot zero ".
Fire a shot at the target, then hold steady on ( the aiming point ), and dial the reticle to the hit.
It is also used by quite a few long range hunters on follow up shots.
True story.
About 6 years ago my son had only a half day left to hunt with his then 15 year old daughter before taking her back home for school that afternoon.
So they needed to glass from a location close to the camp.
The spot they chose was already occupied with hunters when they arrived there, so he drove to another spot nearby that he had never hunted before.
He made several trips from the vehicle getting 2 sets of glasses, the gun, and the portable bench to the location.
He then remembered he didnt bring a rangefinder along.
With just a few hours remaining to hunt he figured he wouldnt be needing it anyway, so they got setup and started glassing.
Within about 5 minits he found a buck alone and laying down.
He got the gun on the deer and told his daughter to get on the gun. He figured he would be better guessing long rather than short for fear of spashing dirt on the bedded deer with a shot.
So he dialed for 900 yards, and watched thru his glasses as the bullet sailed over the deers back, but good for windage. The deer jumped to its feet but didnt run off. He got back on the gun and held on the deers shoulder and dialed to where he thought the bullet was when it sailed over it. Second shot dropped the deer, but it got back up due to being hit where the leg joins the body, but again it didnt run off. He told her to hold on top of its back and shoot again right now.
That ended it, 3 shots total, 2 hits, no rangefinder.
All it takes is knowing how, and the one shot zero is one of the ways.
And no, they didnt make it back home that day.

This is the same thing as the old adage for sighting in a bow,
Chase your arrow.
Works for scopes also.
I've been trying to sight in a thermal.
Thing is, I can't see where I hit with it.?
Anybody have advice on this?