A question about SMKs

wyomingblizzard

Will the SMKs shoot good in a rifle that has alot of freebore, as in a factory weatherby? I have a 340 weatherby that shoots barnes ttsx 210s very well. I am trying to find a higher bc in around the 250 grain that have more expansion than the barnes. Tried berger 250 otm, never did get them to group better than a shotgun. Is there any thing with good bc and expansion that will work with the free bore of the weatherby? Thanks for your help.

I have shot 168' and 175 SMK's in 300 RUM, long and short action. They were the most accurate bullet I fired in those rifles. I have HEARD from a few that they work well on game also. I haven't verified it, but have been tempted to try them myself. My 300 Win Mag, 700P loves them.

I have shot 168' and 175 SMK's in 300 RUM, long and short action. They were the most accurate bullet I fired in those rifles. I have HEARD from a few that they work well on game also. I haven't verified it, but have been tempted to try them myself. My 300 Win Mag, 700P loves them.

They work on game if the velocity stays pretty high, but that kind of defeats the purpose for taking advantage of the high b.c. (long range). The tangent ogive bullets with the identical jacket do not expand as well as a secant because of the angle of entry. (this is given the same size meplat).....Rich

Some folks have decent perfomance with Sierra's HPMK's on game. Others don't as those bullets sometimes don't expand relably which is why Sierra discourages such practices.

My Tikka T3 300WSM has a lot of freebore and shoots 180gr SMKs very well. Groups 5-shots .63" at 100 yards using RL22 .170 to the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.