A question about custom actions.

BigSkyGP

No problems my friend - I really appreciate your apology.

I did actually get fairly knocked around on my fall/slide but luckily only surface wounds - grazes, bumps, bruises and a dented ego etc.

My Blaser was unusable after that and so I used my friends rifle for the next 10 days or so. Paradoxically, in retrospect I probably would have done more damage to the Blaser ultimately had I not had the fall and continued to use her for those 10 days - every cloud has a silver lining!!

Cheers.

M's L

I am planning on shooting 168 Bergers out of her, But I ordered the barrel with a 1:9 twist so I will be able to shoot the 180 Bergers if I ever wanted to.

I will get you some pictures a little later in the day.

DSCF1331.jpg

DSCF1332.jpg

DSCF1337.jpg

DSCF1333.jpg

Hi greener280

That thing is gorgeous. Congratulations.

As you say - if I build mine with a slightly thinner barrel profile and have no bottom metal I should be down to my target weight hopefully.

Who makes DE rings and bases? I googled that term but nothing came up.

Thanks again.

M's L

Im not really sure if having a ADL style magazine box over a BDL style floorplate is going to reduce the weight of a rifle enough to make that big of a difference (but shaving a bit of weight here and there will add up)

Ok if I was looking to take my rifle and reduce the weight a little bit I would probably do several things.

First thing would be a change in caliber and barrel. I would switch to a 7mm WSM; the shorter fatter case is going to get me the same performance as my 7mm Rem Mag but it is going to do it with a 24in barrel, saving some weight. (Also I would still build on a long action remington because I like to have room in my magazine to play with my seating depth)

Second thing I would do is change the stock to a McMillan EDGE stock, they weigh justo over a pound.

That setup should be able to get your 8lb mark.

Also the rings and bases are made by Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge. They are spendy little buggers but I feel they are worth it. Shawns products are some of the best and I can install an ACI/ACD mount to them. Talley also makes some of the same style of ring/base combo.

Another thing to possibly consider is a Carbon Wrapped Barrel,
ABS, Inc. Products Page

These have had enough time now that quite a lot of folks are saying that they really are the Real Deal. I had the opportunity to shoot a 300 wsm with one of these barrels and it was very accurate indeed.

My next build will have one of these with a Bartlein. Not sure if I will go with some kind of custom 7mm or just say heck with it and roll up a 30-375. With something as big as the latter, I think an APA Fatbastard, or a JP Enterprises comp brake may well be on the list as well. I hate getting the ever-luvin beejesus beat outta myself :)

I have been sorta thinking along the lines of a RCM 7mm, or just maybe a 7mm-375 Ruger. If I do the latter I will probably end up shortening it up a little to get the case capacity back in line with what would be optimal for H1000. The only real reason would be to ditch the "evil" (haha) belt. Well, that and just to say - hey look mah, no belt! I was reading up on the 7mm-300wm a bit ago, have to admit that one really has my attention. I am not dead set against one of those evil belts :)

Have a good one,
Gary

Murphys Law

I did not mean to offed either, however I was serious about my rifle recomendations and method of carry. Google where I live, all of my hunting is mtn hunting in the heart of the rockies. Personally my fav is Mtn goat, exciting hunt with great scenery.

If you are in truely steep terrain my best advise no matter what you build is start jogging a few km a day everyday. It makes the hills look and feel much smaller. And make a 9 pound rifle acceptable.

Greener280

That is a sweet looking rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.