A Forever Caliber for my Daughter

Hi there,
I'm hoping to get some of your Years-Long Wisdom for what is probably a simple answer.?!
My 12 year old daughter shot her 1st Buck last year at 256 yds and her 1st Cow Elk this year at 330 yds.
Both were with her mom's Remington seven in 7mm-08 using factory 140 gr corelokts. (I can't for the life of me get any of my hand loads to shoot better than those in this gun…..but that's a different story.)
I also have a Ruger American in 7mm-08 for my son that does like my hand loads.
MY QUESTION IS..
Should I buy another 7mm-08 for my daughter to use on many hunts to come?.., Or should I buy her a 6.5 Creedmoor?…. I Know There I Said It!!!
We mostly hunt Whitetails and Elk from 50 to 400 yds.
Which caliber would you buy her and which out of the box not to expensive rifle would you get it in?.. Keep in mind she's the oldest of my 4 kids and it can't cost much because I, well, have 4 kids.
Thanks!

7-08 sounds like the logical choice. Forever is a long time and there are a lot of things you'd be a fool to hunt with a 7-08 or a needmore and many guides/govts won't let you use those. If you think she'll ever want to hunt bigger stuff or shoot from greater distances at animals, both of those are quickly ruled out. When I hear/think of a forever gun, my mind goes immediately to 300 Win mag, even though I am huge Wby fan and have 2 300s, I also have 2 300 WMs. Recoil is less and cheaper to shoot / reload. So many choices these days.

Hi there,
I'm hoping to get some of your Years-Long Wisdom for what is probably a simple answer.?!
My 12 year old daughter shot her 1st Buck last year at 256 yds and her 1st Cow Elk this year at 330 yds.
Both were with her mom's Remington seven in 7mm-08 using factory 140 gr corelokts. (I can't for the life of me get any of my hand loads to shoot better than those in this gun…..but that's a different story.)
I also have a Ruger American in 7mm-08 for my son that does like my hand loads.
MY QUESTION IS..
Should I buy another 7mm-08 for my daughter to use on many hunts to come?.., Or should I buy her a 6.5 Creedmoor?…. I Know There I Said It!!!
We mostly hunt Whitetails and Elk from 50 to 400 yds.
Which caliber would you buy her and which out of the box not to expensive rifle would you get it in?.. Keep in mind she's the oldest of my 4 kids and it can't cost much because I, well, have 4 kids.
Thanks!

She may be a bit young for this, but something to consider especially with elk on the menu, once she puts on a little size……a 338 Federal.

Pretty tame recoil, enough hp for 400 yard elk….."kills out of it's weight class"!

I started my daughter about 35 years ago, at about 13 years old with a 30-06! If I were doing it again today…..I'd look seriously at the 338 Federal! memtb

Also a welcome from Eastern Wa!
Have spent a lot of time in your neck of the woods, have great friends in SandPoint.

Recent Posts