What caliber for my needs?

I really like the 6.5X47. For deer out to 500 it would be great. Super accurate, low recoil and will shoot a 130 Berger at 3000 fps or just under. I Have a R BROS build 6.5X47 I use for practice and am now building a light weight X47 for a carry rifle. Barrel life of 2500-3000 rounds and the Lapua brass is awesome.

Never heard of the 6.5x55 but a little research shows it may fit the bill. Thanks I will have to look real hard at that one.

The 6.5x55 has been around since 1894.

If you're considering the 6.5X55, which is a great cartridge, you may want to consider the Tikka T3. I think you can get their lightweight rifle in that, and I'm certain the standard rifle is available in that chambering.

Excellent recommendation!

There's something nostalgic about the 6.5x55 Swede, it's been around longer than our venerable .30-06 and still going strong in EU and constant here in the US.
In both Europe and Africa it has a huge following. I didn't realize it until recently but there's also a 6.5x57 and 6.5x62 that are very popular as well.

For some odd reason the 6.5 diameter just has an almost magical balance you don't see in the larger or smaller diameter rounds. We learned a lot in WWII with all of the 6.5's that were used against the Allies but it seems we as a nation have just been very slow to come around to them. Probably just goes back to the "bigger is better" mentality most of us grew up with which was passed down to us and by us.

The more I shoot the .264 and .260 the better I like it.

I have a 308 for longrange shooting and like it alot but it's too dang heavy for hunting so I am going to get a gun just for hunting. I will be hunting deer and hog and 500 and under should be most shots. I don't want a magnum due to the barrel life issue. So what would be a suggestion for a round that shoots flatter than the 308 and hits hard on deer size targets out to 500 that won't burn up a barrel? Thanks in advance for the suggestions. I need to decide on the bullet before the rifle.

Starting with the bullet/s is the right way to go about this. There are a couple that I think stand out, the 130 JLK and the 147 ELD-M. Also check out Alpha brass for top shelf Creedmoor and 260 brass. Lapua makes both as well. Hornady factory ammo is excellent and cheap for the Creedmoor and they started making 260. If you use a 260 in a Tikka the 147s, throat length, magazine length issue will be a moot point, because the mags are easy to modify to accept a longer case. As mentioned in the Tikka the 6.5x55 will really shine. Let us know what you pick.

In both Europe and Africa it has a huge following. I didn't realize it until recently but there's also a 6.5x57 and 6.5x62 that are very popular as well.

For some odd reason the 6.5 diameter just has an almost magical balance you don't see in the larger or smaller diameter rounds. We learned a lot in WWII with all of the 6.5's that were used against the Allies but it seems we as a nation have just been very slow to come around to them. Probably just goes back to the "bigger is better" mentality most of us grew up with which was passed down to us and by us.

The more I shoot the .264 and .260 the better I like it.

Yep, IIRC, it's Varberger757 that often reminds me of it. :):Dgun)

As mentioned above, I woulds suggest the 260, 6.5 x 55 or 270.
All would be very good. Make sure that the rifle barrel you get has a twist rate suitable for the bullet weight you want to use.

Starting with the bullet/s is the right way to go about this. There are a couple that I think stand out, the 130 JLK and the 147 ELD-M. Also check out Alpha brass for top shelf Creedmoor and 260 brass. Lapua makes both as well. Hornady factory ammo is excellent and cheap for the Creedmoor and they started making 260. If you use a 260 in a Tikka the 147s, throat length, magazine length issue will be a moot point, because the mags are easy to modify to accept a longer case. As mentioned in the Tikka the 6.5x55 will really shine. Let us know what you pick.
If one wants to shoot factory ammo in a .260 for plinking, targets, varmints etc look hard at the ammo put out by Prime Ammo.

Far and away the most accurate factory ammo I have ever laid hands on and it has good Norma Brass along with Norma's 140gr VLD.

I've run a total of 9 boxes from 3 different lot numbers through two bolt guns and my LR260 AR and they all shoot bugholes with it.

They produce and sell it direct to the consumer over the internet and they are some of the nicest people you'll ever do business with. Shortly after my first purchase from them their customer service gal called me and asked me if I'd give her my thoughts on the ammo's performance, experience dealing with their sales people, promptness of shipping etc.

That kind of service alone will keep them in business for a long time, that the ammo is just excellent top to bottom is just gravy on top.

The 260 Prime is awesome stuff for the purposes you mentioned. I wouldn't hunt with it, just because of the bullet used, but for anything else, GTG.

The 260 Prime is awesome stuff for the purposes you mentioned. I wouldn't hunt with it, just because of the bullet used, but for anything else, GTG.
I'm not going to shoot them at game animals but for varmints and predators I won't hesitate.

I'm still pretty much in awe over the accuracy and that's the biggest factor for me when shooting varmints and predators more than anything because often the shots are at 400+ at relatively small animals that are moving out from pretty quick to warp nine.

At right around 2750fps with a very flat shooting bullet that resists the wind well it's not to hard to catch up to the runners.

If you are going for factory ammo to shoot in your rifle, I would take a look at the .270 and the 30-06. There are factory loads from everyone with enough variation to get you the best shooting load from either rifle. There is a reason that the 30-06 is the most popular rifle in America.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.