A Forever Caliber for my Daughter

I've never owned a 7mm-08, but based on your situation I would not change it up at this point. If she understands the limits of the cartridge, she can harvest any game she wants. Sharing reloaded rounds will be a much simpler process. I'm a Browning fan myself, but there are so many options out there that will serve her well. When you start moving up in chambering she will obviously start feeling more recoil. My daughter really enjoys shooting my 308 Win. She shot a braked 7RM one time and just said it was not for her.

Chances are your boy will want to join dad soon with a 270, I'd buy another one of those and let sis go with the 7-08, have a son and daughter myself started them with 308's, daughter still shoots her 308 sons up to a 300 win, your mileage may vary

To each his own but my "forever" caliber is the old 270 Win. I can't think of any hunting I do here in Wyoming the the ol' 270 can't handle. Mild recoil and great accuracy.
I agree with you myshootinsinks , I think a 270 Win is an excellent forever caliber, she can almost always buy loaded ammunition or components to reload with. In 1977 I bought a Remington 700 LH BDL and the good old 270 has done everything I have asked it to do in flying colors !

IMHO the 270 WSM is greatly underappreciated. 116gr Absolute Hammers or 126gr Hammer Hunters should have light recoil and great performance at the ranges you mention.

OP look at these two models the Weatherby ,Vanguard Camilla , Or Savages model 11 Lady hunter,hopefully still made in 708 👏🥳👏🥳👏🥳 ,yes I Love the 708 ,keep up your Traditions ,👏👍🥳 if prices to high on my suggestions Your Md7 Remington can only be improved by a Custom barrel 24 inch's minimum,and a trigger tech trigger .yes i own a 708 semi-custom ,& a newer style Md 7 Remington,Cheers 😉

Hi there,
I'm hoping to get some of your Years-Long Wisdom for what is probably a simple answer.?!
My 12 year old daughter shot her 1st Buck last year at 256 yds and her 1st Cow Elk this year at 330 yds.
Both were with her mom's Remington seven in 7mm-08 using factory 140 gr corelokts. (I can't for the life of me get any of my hand loads to shoot better than those in this gun…..but that's a different story.)
I also have a Ruger American in 7mm-08 for my son that does like my hand loads.
MY QUESTION IS..
Should I buy another 7mm-08 for my daughter to use on many hunts to come?.., Or should I buy her a 6.5 Creedmoor?…. I Know There I Said It!!!
We mostly hunt Whitetails and Elk from 50 to 400 yds.
Which caliber would you buy her and which out of the box not to expensive rifle would you get it in?.. Keep in mind she's the oldest of my 4 kids and it can't cost much because I, well, have 4 kids.
Thanks!

Have used the 7mm-08 for over 35 years now, have also used 270 Win, 7 RSAUM, 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, and have always gone back to the 7mm-08.

For the distances you mentioned and even further, loaded up with bullets from 120gr to 168gr, the 7mm-08 is the way to go. I see the 7mm-08 as a more suitable hunting round than the 6.5 CM.

I am just building my daughters "forever rifle" she is getting a 6mm Creedmoor. We have killed cow elk down with the 6mm Creedmoor no issues. We also use it for p dogs and coyote.
If we can ever draw a bull tag she will just take my 280 AI or 28 Nosler. Its just so hard to draw a bull tag that it's something we don't stress too hard.
In your situation I see not a thing wrong with the 7-08. Keep the tradition going.

A 7mm/08 is ABSOLUTELY a forever rifle. I bought each of my son's a 7mm/08 when they started hunting elk, at 12 years old. They are wonderful rifles that they still use on occasion. Not only do they use them, but they have accounted for many animals when friends and relatives start hunting and need a "good" rifle. It's the best "junior" elk rifle on the planet. My sons have graduated to larger calibers for longer range hunting, but they still love the 7mm/08s. My wife has hunted with a 270 for 42 years, and loves it.

If your daughters decide to "graduate" to something different when they get older, so be it. The 7mm/08 will be loved, and last a lifetime!

Hi there,
I'm hoping to get some of your Years-Long Wisdom for what is probably a simple answer.?!
My 12 year old daughter shot her 1st Buck last year at 256 yds and her 1st Cow Elk this year at 330 yds.
Both were with her mom's Remington seven in 7mm-08 using factory 140 gr corelokts. (I can't for the life of me get any of my hand loads to shoot better than those in this gun…..but that's a different story.)
I also have a Ruger American in 7mm-08 for my son that does like my hand loads.
MY QUESTION IS..
Should I buy another 7mm-08 for my daughter to use on many hunts to come?.., Or should I buy her a 6.5 Creedmoor?…. I Know There I Said It!!!
We mostly hunt Whitetails and Elk from 50 to 400 yds.
Which caliber would you buy her and which out of the box not to expensive rifle would you get it in?.. Keep in mind she's the oldest of my 4 kids and it can't cost much because I, well, have 4 kids.
Thanks!
Welcome to LRH, and enjoy! This boils down to personal choice/preference. If you purchase a new rifle, you might consider the rifle maker first that fits her, i.e., Weatherby Camilla, Savage Lady Hunter, etc., or do a father-daughter budget semi-custom project build and get her involved in the decision-making process.

One of the advantages of the 6.5 CM is the abundance of factory ammunition choices loaded with a variety of bullets, most of which are on-the-shelf inventory. As noted by @340Wby-4-everything forever is a long time. I have two chamberings that stood the test of time, the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser (produced in 1894 and still going strong). There is something nostalgic about this chambering; I started my sons shooting/hunting with it at 10. The other chambering is our venerable .30-06 (produced In 1906 and still going strong). Like the 6.5 CM, the .30-06 has plenty of factory ammo choices, including heavy bullets.

Having plenty of choices to choose from is always a good thing. We can all make recommendations, but the ultimate decision is up to you and your daughter. Good luck.

Ed

I don't want to assume that my adult kids now would someday reload like I do. Son will, daughter pretty for sure will not. So her rifle needed to be good for antelope to elk and have ammo typically available on the shelf. I went 6.5 creedmoor with no regrets, but a 7mm-08 would be a close second.

In the OP shoes, I'd lean 7mm-08 since he sort of committed to it. Stock up on more brass and bullets just in case.