A Few Quick Questions

You guys have to remember she is in Canada. So you have to remember that a lot of things are not available up there like they are in the US. That being said I think the 7 prc will do about all you need till you get to grizzly. If you want a cheaper gun to run around with I would go with a savage in a 308with a a 3x9 scope great truck atv horse gun cheap to shoot 165 to 180 grain bullets

You guys have to remember she is in Canada. So you have to remember that a lot of things are not available up there like they are in the US. That being said I think the 7 prc will do about all you need till you get to grizzly. If you want a cheaper gun to run around with I would go with a savage in a 308with a a 3x9 scope great truck atv horse gun cheap to shoot 165 to 180 grain bullets
Easy on us Canadians...we do have EEEELECTRICITY....Y'ALL! And a year or so ago....we heard about y' all's CELL PHONES! But I weren't ready to go to JAIL...just to git me one!

Not familiar with Tikka rifles, so will look them up.
My ammunition comes in a box from a store.
Remington for 22, Federal for 30-30, Hornady for 7mm prc.
If you're using factory ammo, I suggest you stay with the more common cartridge, like 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC, .308, 270 Win. During normal times (non-Covid), you'll always find ammo for these cartridges on the shelves.

If I was carrying in a horse scabbard for mainly bear protection and coyote killing, I'd be carrying an AR in .308 or 7.62x39. These AR rifles are much faster for follow-up shots than a bolt action rifle and ARs are accurate to 500 yards. Are you super confident you can hit and kill a moving bear with one shot or do you think you might need more shots? Another option would be a pump action for quick follow-up shots.
Justin- curious here. Have you easily carried an AR in a saddle scabbard? I haven't tried, but would think the magazine would be problematic. If not, it would be a good choice in .308. Reason I suggested the Henry was that there are few actions as comfortable and easy to carry in a saddle scabbard as the lever gun. In practiced hands, can be operated nearly as fast as semi-auto. I am a bolt gun guy myself, but can't deny that they are not nearly as comfortable under the leg as a lever gun. They can be carried butt backward to help- but I've known quite a few carried that way that ended up hooked on brush or otherwise out of the scabbard without the rider realizing it.

I haven't carried an AR in a scabbard, but instead I used a chest carry sling since I was hunting and wanted it in the ready position with the scope in the up position. Another reason I like an AR is the sling can be attached on the top of the stock/chassis using quick releases instead of on the bottom of the stock like conventional bolt stock sling studs. They make a 5 round .308 AICS magazine that is almost flush and I'm sure in ranch country you could find a saddlemaker to make a custom scabbard. The biggest scabbard I've made was for a 3 knife set. I'd make a scabbard that has a slot open for the hand grip to stick out for a quick draw and a bulge on the other side for a scope. Similar to the polymer pistol holsters. I'd also prefer to mount the scabbard in the front part of the saddle with the rifle butt sticking straight up beside the saddle horn in front of the knee, not parallel to the ground under the leg. Straight up behind the saddle might work well also.

Attachments

• e82e69e909d78b546859e855fd52b3be.jpg
    e82e69e909d78b546859e855fd52b3be.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 45
  • long-gun-scabbard-1_2.jpg
    long-gun-scabbard-1_2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I haven't carried an AR in a scabbard, but instead I used a chest carry sling since I was hunting and wanted it in the ready position with the scope in the up position. Another reason I like an AR is the sling can be attached on the top of the stock/chassis using quick releases instead of on the bottom of the stock like conventional bolt stock sling studs. They make a 5 round .308 AICS magazine that is almost flush and I'm sure in ranch country you could find a saddlemaker to make a custom scabbard. The biggest scabbard I've made was for a 3 knife set. I'd make a scabbard that has a slot open for the hand grip to stick out for a quick draw and a bulge on the other side for a scope. Similar to the polymer pistol holsters. I'd also prefer to mount the scabbard in the front part of the saddle with the rifle butt sticking straight up beside the saddle horn in front of the knee, not parallel to the ground under the leg. Straight up behind the saddle might work well also.
Viable options when hunting. Usually, I was carrying in a scabbard while working cattle- chest carry is a trip to the hospital in a wreck, and upright in front of the leg doesn't work when working cattle or roping. Also at times carried a Contender in a scabbard I made, but it would seem a single shot is not practical for small lady's situation.

No ARs? Communists! LOL Yes, hard to find a solution when working cattle, but for just joy riding or hunting it would work. Since no ARs, a pump in 308 is probably the best since it's easier to keep it on the shoulder while inserting another cartridge. Lever actions tend to pull the rifle down off the shoulder, at least my .22 lever does that for me. Can Canadians buy any type of autoloader rifle like a Browning?

Last edited:
No ARs? Communists! LOL Yes, hard to find a solution when working cattle, but for just joy riding or hunting it would work. Since no ARs, a pump in 308 is probably the best since it's easier to keep it on the shoulder while inserting another cartridge. Lever actions tend to pull the rifle down off the shoulder, at least my .22 lever does that for me. Can they buy any type of autoloader rifle like a Browning?
Yup...and Kodiak defense 223, Tavor, Black Creek 223s....just not any AR platforms

Would prefer something smaller, much smaller.
270, 6mm, 6.5, 280, possibly 308.

From my reading, a 270 or 6.5 are possibilities.
About a dozen times I've gone and looked at the for sale ad on that Sako Greywolf 270, and been tempted to send a PM to the owner. But I think it's so beautiful, I would regret banging it around every day, as my daily carry choice.
Yet in the back of my head I keep going back and looking at it.
Maybe it's worth scratching up beauty some.

i grew up on a ranch in Wyoming, USA. A rifle is a tool, we deserve nice tools. We just take good care of them maintenance wise and any sign of use is character added. If you keep going back, buy what is going to make you happy. Get the .270, don't comprise in life.

For what you are wanting - a rifle that will be big enough for protection against bears - and yet can be used for coyotes at distance, I would think the 308 is the best option with the limitations you set. The Henry Long Ranger is intriguing to me - it seems to have that compromise of a good scabbard gun, yet can reach out with accuracy. I don't own one (yet) so can't comment on personal experience. The best "fit" may be the Ruger American in its compact youth configuration. The 12.5" LOP and 18" barrel might make a great carry gun for saddle or 4 wheeler. Again, I haven't shot one of the youth models, but the regular models shoot really well. My first choice tho more expensive (but you didn't indicate that cost was a limiting factor and you're purchasing a fairly pricey scope, so cost may not be that big of an issue?) would be the new Springfield 2020 waypoint. I have one of those in 6 creedmoor and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite rifles. I like it better than some of my custom rifles that cost 2-3 times as much. The only thing I don't like about it for a walk around hunting rifle is that the safety doesn't lock the bolt, which can be aggravating when walking thru brush. The Tikka lite veil is another great choice, but it has a little longer barrel, so maybe not quite as handy. It also has a 1:11 twist, vs the 1:10 in the others, so might not shoot the heavier bullets, but for what you are after, that probably won't matter. The Sako lone wolf is not a bad choice either - I was actually looking at a used one in 270 WSM. But, like you, I would be hesitant to bounce that one around in a scabbard or ATV.
By the way, what is your 7 PRC? Maybe you said, but I missed it...
Also, love your pics and a little envious of your situation. Sometimes, I think all of us feel like just getting away from the hustle and bustle and back to a simpler life. You just had the nerve to do it!! Well played!!!