A Few Quick Questions

Thank you very much!

And yes cartridge.
Was having a discussion yesterday with a few people about what's halfway between a 30-30 and 7mm prc.
I told them my wild guess was 270, but it was purely a guess.
The discussion arose after being asked if I was to ever buy another rifle, what would it be.
I said not sure, but something halfway between my 30-30 and 7mm prc possibly someday.
Then we got around to discussing what is halfway.
I don't know that much about rifles yet, but am learning.

Jokingly my boss keeps suggesting a 416, 375, or at a minimum 338, which I find funny. He thankfully has a great sense of humor, and I don't see myself going larger than my current 7mm.
I think the Henry Long Ranger in .308 would be a good fit for you and your needs. Manageable recoil, decent trajectory, great ammunition availability. Would also be much more comfortable for saddle scabbard carry than any bolt gun (and have carried both in scabbards a great deal). Would not be the cheapest option by any means, but would be a solid choice. I wouldn't want to use anything with a muzzle break out of the saddle- even a horse trained to stand and be shot off of will have hearing damage or issues if a muzzle break is used.

Would prefer something smaller, much smaller.
270, 6mm, 6.5, 280, possibly 308.

From my reading, a 270 or 6.5 are possibilities.
About a dozen times I've gone and looked at the for sale ad on that Sako Greywolf 270, and been tempted to send a PM to the owner. But I think it's so beautiful, I would regret banging it around every day, as my daily carry choice.
Yet in the back of my head I keep going back and looking at it.
Maybe its worth scratching up beauty some.
Buy a Savage....cheap but darn accurate, light, stock that will take abuse and still look good, can fall out of your scabbard, get stepped on by a Bull and you're only out 450.00

500 S&W, or even 44 Mag are good choices for an experienced handgun shooter. Poor choices for the novice, as the recoil makes accuracy a real problem.

Also hand guns are not widely used in Canada, due to our laws restricting them.
Walk into a gun store here, and you will see 0 of them for sale.
As far as I know Prince George has 5 stores that sell guns, and I have been to all 5 numerous times, and never seen 1.

Also hand guns are not widely used in Canada, due to our laws restricting them.
Walk into a gun store here, and you will see 0 of them for sale.
As far as I know Prince George has 5 stores that sell guns, and I have been to all 5 numerous times, and never seen 1.
Complete ban on sales since October 2022

To any Canadians who wander in here and read this.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Beautiful holiday Monday here, warm, sunny, and about perfect.
Going out now, its time to saddle up my horse, put my 30-30 in the scabbard, some extra ammo in my fanny pack, drinking water, snacks, and hit the trails. I did a loop ride last year that was stunningly beautiful, took me about 7 hours, going to do it again.
I have time to do that, come back, shower, change into clean clothes, and make it to dinner for turkey on time, as per my invitation.
My boss has invited me to join his family at their house @18:00 hours.
Have a great day everyone!

Grizzlies are extremely rare here, almost all the bears I see are black bears. Since moving here I have seen an enormous amount of wildlife, but 0 grizzly bears. Black bears generally run away, they don't tend to be aggressive.
I would consider a 308 Win or a 30-06. Those 2 cartridges are the easiest to find ammo for and in the lowest price range. It shouldn't be too hard to find an older Remington 700. If you can find an ADL, I would prefer that over a BLD simply because it will be handled rough and with an ADL there is no chance of the floor plate opening at an inopportune moment and dumping the ammo in the magazine, leaving you with a single shot. 150, 165 and 180 grain bullets will all do the job that you require and should all be easily obtainable. My preference would be a 150 or a 165 grain bullet. 180's will work but tend to be more punishing in the recoil department. With you being pocket size, and having a dauntless heart, it would be to your advantage.

Would prefer something smaller, much smaller.
270, 6mm, 6.5, 280, possibly 308.

From my reading, a 270 or 6.5 are possibilities.
About a dozen times I've gone and looked at the for sale ad on that Sako Greywolf 270, and been tempted to send a PM to the owner. But I think it's so beautiful, I would regret banging it around every day, as my daily carry choice.
Yet in the back of my head I keep going back and looking at it.
Maybe its worth scratching up beauty some.
I've been using a .308win for years. It serves me well. It can take most all game up to 600 yds or so comfortably. It can go further, but I've never had the need. It is at the edge of capability for taking bear or moose every year. It's a soft-mid level recoil caliber. If I needed a bigger caliber for, I would move to a bigger/more capable caliber. Because of your size and weight, I would be very careful getting the magnum class calibers. You could, but be prepared for the recoil. If you intend on taking bear or moose regularly, you may want to consider the 30.06 or possibly a 7mm mag. These two will do the job and not beatup your sholder too much. (There will be increased felt recoil.) They can do any job for game in North America. If your wanting overkill, any of the larger calibers will do, but at a recoil price. Another thing to consider is the frequency your shooting it. If your only shooting less than 10 rounds at a time or 100 rounds annually, it may not make a difference. The 30.06 and 7mm mag are usually available at most ammo suppliers. And they won't break the bank. Good luck with your choice.

If I was carrying in a horse scabbard for mainly bear protection and coyote killing, I'd be carrying an AR in .308 or 7.62x39. These AR rifles are much faster for follow-up shots than a bolt action rifle and ARs are accurate to 500 yards. Are you super confident you can hit and kill a moving bear with one shot or do you think you might need more shots? Another option would be a pump action for quick follow-up shots.

Last edited:
Small Lady, MOA and MIL are very similar terms. MOA is a measurement in English standard (inches) and MIL is measured in the metric system (miliradians). Both divide a circle into small angles radiating out from the center of a circle. Both are just measurement references to make calculations with. Think of both as a compass. It really does not matter which one you use. Some find visualizing inches/yards/miles better and some visualize a millimeter/meter/kilometer better. A MOA scope turret or reticle is usually annotated with 1/4 inch markings with 4 marks equalling 1 inch of angle. A MIL scope is marked with 1-10 numbers designating tenths of a miliradian degree. MOA is a finer measurement than MIL, but some find the coarser MIL faster to adjust -- take your pick. One is not better than the other, they are just different ways of measuring the same thing.

Last edited:
Grizzlies are extremely rare here, almost all the bears I see are black bears. Since moving here I have seen an enormous amount of wildlife, but 0 grizzly bears. Black bears generally run away, they don't tend to be aggressive.
Not sure where you are in Canada ? But read a story grizzly killed a couple & their dog. Banff National Park was the location. You can read a few articles on Ammoland how black bears are killers also. Not usually I suppose. But at times they have been known to do weird things. https://ammoland.us7.list-manage.co...1bd879ef93102b3011&id=d3a070e47c&e=2bb4039108