A Few Quick Questions

I take it from your forum name that you are a small female. If that is the case the 7/08 Rem IMO is a great combo of power and reduced recoil. It would also be "in betwwen" 30/30 and the 7mm PRC Great round.

At 4'11" and 93 pounds, yes I am smaller than average.
My nickname at work when hired here quickly became 'Small Lady'. Compared to many of my coworkers, I am small. My boss affectionately refers to me as Pocket sized.

Still think the 7/08 would be good except for the big bear thing. For a real big bear stopper it would be hard to get away from recoil. JMO

Having to shoot a bear is likely a 1 in a million chance, but since asked what I would possibly use it for, that is a possibility.
Hopefully if I could put a couple of rounds into it, I would be able to outrun it at least on quad or horseback. If on foot, i will probably end up as a snack. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

I have on order a Leupold scope for my 7mm prc.
No idea if it is moa or not?
I just see the letters moa used a lot on this forum, and didn't know what they stood for.
LOL, it looks like that scope comes with a lot of choices for a reticle. I hope the one you bought has hash marks on the horizontal line so you can learn about holding off for wind.

The other type of angular measure on ranging reticles is the milli-radian, or "mils" . These is a lot of information online about MOA and mils or you can ask for some help in understanding it.

I assume we are talking Grizzly and for something like that at close range you would need something that has a bullet diameter of something like 338 or larger with a mass of at least 225 grs. I can't see anything that would be of light recoil. Keep in mind that a close encounter with a big bear is generally life or death. You should really try hard to get use to something big to protect your self. Just read a few days ago that an old grizzly killed a couple out west. You never know where and when you will come in contact with them. Your ATV could break down and you may have to walk a mile or two.

I assume we are talking Grizzly and for something like that at close range you would need something that has a bullet diameter of something like 338 or larger with a mass of at least 225 grs. I can't see anything that would be of light recoil. Keep in mind that a close encounter with a big bear is generally life or death. You should really try hard to get use to something big to protect your self. Just read a few days ago that an old grizzly killed a couple out west. You never know where and when you will come in contact with them. Your ATV could break down and you may have to walk a mile or two.
Could a massive muzzle brake tame the recoil of a 338 ?

My 11# 338 NM not bad.But I did use poor judgement on a quick single handed hold on my packer, at a wolf ,up hill.Taught me a hard lesson after shooting a 340 wby for 35 years, broke my nose, still my favorite rifle

Grizzlies are extremely rare here, almost all the bears I see are black bears. Since moving here I have seen an enormous amount of wildlife, but 0 grizzly bears. Black bears generally run away, they don't tend to be aggressive.

LOL, it looks like that scope comes with a lot of choices for a reticle. I hope the one you bought has hash marks on the horizontal line so you can learn about holding off for wind.

The other type of angular measure on ranging reticles is the milli-radian, or "mils" . These is a lot of information online about MOA and mils or you can ask for some help in understanding it.
Tag from the demo.
20231004_115602.jpg

Could a massive muzzle brake tame the recoil of a 338 ?

Would prefer something smaller, much smaller.
270, 6mm, 6.5, 280, possibly 308.

From my reading, a 270 or 6.5 are possibilities.
About a dozen times I've gone and looked at the for sale ad on that Sako Greywolf 270, and been tempted to send a PM to the owner. But I think it's so beautiful, I would regret banging it around every day, as my daily carry choice.
Yet in the back of my head I keep going back and looking at it.
Maybe its worth scratching up beauty some.

@Small Lady I can understand your concern about scratching up a nice rifle, but your well being comes first with rifle aesthetics a very distant second. Take care of yourself. By the way what province do you live in.

Something maybe to carry around in the scabbard on my horse or ATV. I spend a lot of time on both, and am forbidden to go out unarmed.
So as a general rule I carry my Henry 30-30 with no scope.
Wouldn't mind something that is fairly cheap since it will get banged around some, but still is of good quality, that has more ooomph than my 30-30, but less than my 7mm prc, but shoots fairly flat and accurately out to say 300 yards, for coyotes and such going after the herd, but also stop a bear if need be in self defense, which would mean close range, not anywhere near 300 yards.
I've shot at coyotes, but so far not hit any, and bears generally run off and hide if I get near them. Shooting a bear would be a last option, before it kills me and/or my horse. We don't shoot bears here unless they become a problem bear. But if I were to ever be put in that situation, a bit more than my 30-30 can only help the situation.

Recoil aka kick is of a concern, as I will be shooting from the saddle sometimes, and at 93 pounds, lack the mass to take a massive recoil from the saddle.
Something pretty much indestructible would also be great, I would never buy something like the beautiful 270 sako greywolf that is currently for sale on this forum, to use in such a manner. That rifle is like art work.
But a cheap plastic stock, yet decent gun, is what I may someday purchase.

Experience has taught me that 200-300 yard shots at a coyote from the saddle, is more of a warning shot to them, than anything lethal.
If your horse is not easily spooked/trained with gunshots, a muzzle brake is the most economical and effective in handling felt recoil. There are plenty of effective muzzle brakes out there in the market that are reasonably priced.

@Small Lady I can understand your concern about scratching up a nice rifle, but your well being comes first with rifle aesthetics a very distant second. Take care of yourself. By the way what province do you live in.

British Columbia.
Central BC Canada to be more exact.

A 50 km drive puts me in Prince George, I was there yesterday, went to Corlane Sports, put in a scope and rangemaster order, ran some errands for work, grocery shopping for my employer, and myself.
I live in an old cabin on the property. When I say old, I mean old, before there was a road to this area, it was a wagon trail. My cabin lacks plumbing, i have an outhouse for a quick tinkle, and otherwise go to the main house, where my employer lives with his family, to shower, #2, and get drinking water that I carry back in jugs on my ATV, and heat on the stove for doing dishes.
Electrical power was ran to the cabin in 2006 they tell me, so i have lights, tv with satellite dish, and electric heat, as well as my wood stove. I pay for nothing but my groceries. My employer has supplied me with my own horse, ATV, 4x4 F150, gas comes from the large tanks beside the main shop, and since I am required to travel the ranch armed, has supplied me with both a 22 and 30-30, as well as free ammunition for both in unlimited quantities. To say that I love it here would be a huge understatement.

Recent Posts