A Few Quick Questions

Small Lady

What does MOA stand for?

Are all bipods that attach to the front of a rifle stock pretty much the same, or does any one brand stand out as superior?

What caliber is closest to being exactly half way between 30-30 and 7mm PRC?

Best rifle strap for walking?

Last edited:
MOA stands for Minute Of Angle

All bipods are NOT created equal, there come small and light all the way up to ''f-class".

Small and basic bipods will mount to a swivel stud

Many mount to a Picatinny Rail

And some mount to an ARCA plate.

Check out MDT - they cover most bipods from basic all the way to their groundbreaking Ckye-pod

Caliber is the size of the hole in the barrel, and as far as I know there is nothing in-between a .284 (7mm) and .308 (30cal).

Cartridge might be the word you are looking for, and if so a 30-06 or a .280AI probably falls inbetween there somewhere

Depends on the walking - 'walk around rifle' usually implies having one's rifle in their hands.

Biathlon slings are pretty nice because they keep you 'hands free'!

MOA stands for Minute Of Angle

All bipods are NOT created equal, there come small and light all the way up to ''f-class".

Small and basic bipods will mount to a swivel stud

Many mount to a Picatinny Rail

And some mount to an ARCA plate.

Check out MDT - they cover most bipods from basic all the way to their groundbreaking Ckye-pod

Caliber is the size of the hole in the barrel, and as far as I know there is nothing in-between a .284 (7mm) and .308 (30cal).

Cartridge might be the word you are looking for, and if so a 30-06 or a .280AI probably falls inbetween there somewhere

Depends on the walking - 'walk around rifle' usually implies having one's rifle in their hands.

Biathlon slings are pretty nice because they keep you 'hands free'!

Thank you very much!

And yes cartridge.
Was having a discussion yesterday with a few people about what's halfway between a 30-30 and 7mm prc.
I told them my wild guess was 270, but it was purely a guess.
The discussion arose after being asked if I was to ever buy another rifle, what would it be.
I said not sure, but something halfway between my 30-30 and 7mm prc possibly someday.
Then we got around to discussing what is halfway.
I don't know that much about rifles yet, but am learning.

Jokingly my boss keeps suggesting a 416, 375, or at a minimum 338, which I find funny. He thankfully has a great sense of humor, and I don't see myself going larger than my current 7mm.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to what you would like to do with your "in between" rifle? When I think 30-30, I think lever gun for quick shots in the woods and when I think 7mmPRC, I think long range. I think a .270 or 30-06 would fit the bill but I guess when you consider velocity, bullet weights and kinetic energy, the world might be your oyster in the in-between category.

Oh, yeah I forgot to say that I like Harris bipods that typically attach to the swivel stud.

Hand skills addressed most of your questions.

Harris Bipods are another time tested option just make sure you look at one that has a swivel head to allow you to level the rifle.

Slings are completely personal preference so expect to go through a few or a few hundred before you find one you like. I prefer two point rifle slings with a quick adjust.

A 7mm-08 would be a solid option. Won't kick as much as a 7mag but still plenty lethal for most things in North America.

6.5 prc is a good easy button.And a Safari sling is great for front carry, hands free to glass or grab things.Atlas bipod ,buy once, cry once.Then put it on whatever rifle with a QDmount and pic rail

If you're wondering about cartridge energy levels for hunting I would consider the 7mm PRC the mid to high power and consider something more powerful for the high end. The high end would be for moose, elk, brown bear sort of critters.

Is the scope you're getting in moa?

I'm curious as to what you would like to do with your "in between" rifle? When I think 30-30, I think lever gun for quick shots in the woods and when I think 7mmPRC, I think long range. I think a .270 or 30-06 would fit the bill but I guess when you consider velocity, bullet weights and kinetic energy, the world might be your oyster in the in-between category.

Oh, yeah I forgot to say that I like Harris bipods that typically attach to the swivel stud.
Something maybe to carry around in the scabbard on my horse or ATV. I spend a lot of time on both, and am forbidden to go out unarmed.
So as a general rule I carry my Henry 30-30 with no scope.
Wouldn't mind something that is fairly cheap since it will get banged around some, but still is of good quality, that has more ooomph than my 30-30, but less than my 7mm prc, but shoots fairly flat and accurately out to say 300 yards, for coyotes and such going after the herd, but also stop a bear if need be in self defense, which would mean close range, not anywhere near 300 yards.
I've shot at coyotes, but so far not hit any, and bears generally run off and hide if I get near them. Shooting a bear would be a last option, before it kills me and/or my horse. We don't shoot bears here unless they become a problem bear. But if I were to ever be put in that situation, a bit more than my 30-30 can only help the situation.

Recoil aka kick is of a concern, as I will be shooting from the saddle sometimes, and at 93 pounds, lack the mass to take a massive recoil from the saddle.
Something pretty much indestructible would also be great, I would never buy something like the beautiful 270 sako greywolf that is currently for sale on this forum, to use in such a manner. That rifle is like art work.
But a cheap plastic stock, yet decent gun, is what I may someday purchase.

Experience has taught me that 200-300 yard shots at a coyote from the saddle, is more of a warning shot to them, than anything lethal.

If you're wondering about cartridge energy levels for hunting I would consider the 7mm PRC the mid to high power and consider something more powerful for the high end. The high end would be for moose, elk, brown bear sort of critters.

Is the scope you're getting in moa?

I have on order a Leupold scope for my 7mm prc.
No idea if it is moa or not?
I just see the letters moa used a lot on this forum, and didn't know what they stood for.