A Few Quick Questions

That recoil is tamed but that horse is going to go ape-s**t

And is why I do not shoot my 7 off Sam, it does have a muzzle brake.
Pretty flat out to 300 yards, and lever action are both advantages.
243, 270, 6, 6.5 all sound viable. Browning or Henry, both are great in my humble opinion.

If I were to buy the used Sako 270 for sale on here, it would likely spend more days hanging on my cabin wall, than in use.

Ive had Weatherby mark v's and broke them in half horse hunting the mountain of mtn.There a tool to get the job done My main rifle the scope was more than my first car
IMG_3369.jpeg

Small Lady, you are right to be asking a lot of questions before a rifle purchase. Glad to hear your boss and coworkers have been helping you out and letting you try whatever they use. The more handling time you can get, the better informed will be your choices. The advice given so far has generally been pretty good, but as another small statured person, I can tell you that rifle fit is an important part of the selection process. You are even smaller than I am, so fit is going to be very important for you. The rifle use you are describing for this one sounds like you want this one for quick shots that are not super long, and for which you need to get it into play quickly. For that kind of use, fit matters a lot. So does balance, especially for someone your size.

There are not very many "pocket sized" selections of rifle models out there, regardless of caliber. Whatever you get may still need to have the stock shortened before you can do effective fast work with any rifle. Things affected by an oversized rifle or shotgun include time getting into battery, quickness of mounting the firearm, felt recoil, improper butt positioning on shoulder, ability to see out of a scope, sight picture on iron sights, ability to work the safety, ability to effectively cycle the bolt (or lever or pump), and a few other things average sized men won't even notice.

Hopefully your Christensen Ridgeline in 7mm PRC was fitted to your size. From your questions on bipods, I am guessing that you are not going to be using it for offhand or unrested shots, so hopefully you can compensate for excessive stock length with extra setup time. If it is to be a long-range hunting rifle, there are ways to work around the fit. Also hoping that whatever scope you choose allows considerable eye relief so you are not struggling to see out of the scope properly.

Most of the new rifles that are presently built are on stocks even longer than when I first started shooting myself. Guys have gotten bigger over time, and I guess several manufacturers have therefore increased their length of pull (LOP) accordingly. For us smaller people, that makes stock fit even more of a challenge.

My own rifles are older Ruger M77 tang safety wood stocked rifles. The higher comb on that model's stock allows me to get my short face up where I can align properly with the scope on low base rings. That allows a good cheek weld and much more consistent shooting, equaling smaller groups with consistent placement. The other part is that with the wood stocks I was able to shorten the stock and thus the length of pull. That got me behind the scope better and also allows me to cycle the bolt from my shoulder without having to lower the rifle. A good recoil pad also tames the recoil of anything, but particularly my .338 Win Mag so it is OK for a limited number of shots at a time. Still not a range toy, but a little less punishing. I have put Limbsavers on all mine, but you do have to calculate in the thickness of the pad into your length of pull so you don't add length back on.

Caliber would be secondary to fit, but in your circumstances something around a .270 Win. would be a good middle of the road cartridge/caliber to think about. A .270 also has a number of factory loadings available for a variety of game, and can be found almost anywhere. There are also reduced recoil loads that would be appropriate for deer sized animals and would be more pleasant for practice shooting. And you will need to practice. Like many others here, I have killed elk with a .270 it works fine on elk as long as you make good shots. A .270 is a fine, versatile, proven hunting cartridge.

Unfortunately the beautiful .270 Sako Geywolf you are eyeing would likely be a very poor fit for your small frame. Even if you have a skilled gunsmith who could shorten the stock, the proportions would likely be unbalanced, and the change in the center of gravity might make quick handling difficult. Balance can be more important than overall weight. Considering a shorter overall length (shorter barrel and shorter stock/LOP) of a youth or women's model would be a prudent place for you to start. Your 30-30 already gives you this smallness and slenderness.

I will send you a PM (personal message) so we can discuss more in personal detail if you would like. Good luck in this search.

Welcome aboard!

Yes, that can be a sticky distinction around here.

Cartridge vs Caliber - know the difference!

You've got pretty good intuition then. Intensity wise, the .270 Win is right about the middle between 30-30 and 7PRC. Technically the .270 diameter is smaller than either though, so it depends how you look at it.

Don't rush it - there is a lifetime of learning, enjoy the journey!

I think about cartridges differently than I once did.

I start by defining what I'm trying to do.

Then I find a few bullets that match up with my needs (weight, diameter, construction plays a big role too)

Then I'll try to define a muzzle velocity. Generally faster is better, but there are always tradeoffs (mostly in the recoil.department!)

The other factor is barrel length - a 20" barrel is a lot easier to lug around, but a 30" barrel will have a huge velocity advantage - so there are always tradeoffs.

All cartridges hold a primer and a bullet - what separates them is the amount of powder they hold, or their 'Case Capacity'.

Only you can decode which one is going to give you the performance you are looking for!

270 Win is a great cartridge - flat shooting, relatively high power and relatively moderate recoil (a 6lb gun is going to kick a lot more than a 9lb rifle, all else equal!)

Beautiful part of the world you are in, I used to get up to Wells annually, but times have changed and I'm spending most of my time in Saskatchewan these days!

That whole Quesnel, Wells, Barkerville, Bowron lake area is gorgeous.
Awesome snowmobiling in winter, love riding Yanks Peak area.

And yes the weight does make a recoil difference, and I won't be hiking with it, so some heft is good.

It seems most are a 22"-26" barrel.
A heavy scope can help a little.

Ive had Weatherby mark v's and broke them in half horse hunting the mountain of mtn.There a tool to get the job done My main rifle the scope was more than my first carView attachment 501056

That photo is screen saver worthy.
What a beautiful snapshot of Mother nature.
Spending money on good guns, scopes, and ammunition seems worth it in my opinion.
Compared to many other things, good guns are still relatively cheap.
Homes, cars, furniture, travel, ATVs, Horses, all make guns seem like a bargain.

Small Lady, you are right to be asking a lot of questions before a rifle purchase. Glad to hear your boss and coworkers have been helping you out and letting you try whatever they use. The more handling time you can get, the better informed will be your choices. The advice given so far has generally been pretty good, but as another small statured person, I can tell you that rifle fit is an important part of the selection process. You are even smaller than I am, so fit is going to be very important for you. The rifle use you are describing for this one sounds like you want this one for quick shots that are not super long, and for which you need to get it into play quickly. For that kind of use, fit matters a lot. So does balance, especially for someone your size.

There are not very many "pocket sized" selections of rifle models out there, regardless of caliber. Whatever you get may still need to have the stock shortened before you can do effective fast work with any rifle. Things affected by an oversized rifle or shotgun include time getting into battery, quickness of mounting the firearm, felt recoil, improper butt positioning on shoulder, ability to see out of a scope, sight picture on iron sights, ability to work the safety, ability to effectively cycle the bolt (or lever or pump), and a few other things average sized men won't even notice.

Hopefully your Christensen Ridgeline in 7mm PRC was fitted to your size. From your questions on bipods, I am guessing that you are not going to be using it for offhand or unrested shots, so hopefully you can compensate for excessive stock length with extra setup time. If it is to be a long-range hunting rifle, there are ways to work around the fit. Also hoping that whatever scope you choose allows considerable eye relief so you are not struggling to see out of the scope properly.

Most of the new rifles that are presently built are on stocks even longer than when I first started shooting myself. Guys have gotten bigger over time, and I guess several manufacturers have therefore increased their length of pull (LOP) accordingly. For us smaller people, that makes stock fit even more of a challenge.

My own rifles are older Ruger M77 tang safety wood stocked rifles. The higher comb on that model's stock allows me to get my short face up where I can align properly with the scope on low base rings. That allows a good cheek weld and much more consistent shooting, equaling smaller groups with consistent placement. The other part is that with the wood stocks I was able to shorten the stock and thus the length of pull. That got me behind the scope better and also allows me to cycle the bolt from my shoulder without having to lower the rifle. A good recoil pad also tames the recoil of anything, but particularly my .338 Win Mag so it is OK for a limited number of shots at a time. Still not a range toy, but a little less punishing. I have put Limbsavers on all mine, but you do have to calculate in the thickness of the pad into your length of pull so you don't add length back on.

Caliber would be secondary to fit, but in your circumstances something around a .270 Win. would be a good middle of the road cartridge/caliber to think about. A .270 also has a number of factory loadings available for a variety of game, and can be found almost anywhere. There are also reduced recoil loads that would be appropriate for deer sized animals and would be more pleasant for practice shooting. And you will need to practice. Like many others here, I have killed elk with a .270 it works fine on elk as long as you make good shots. A .270 is a fine, versatile, proven hunting cartridge.

Unfortunately the beautiful .270 Sako Geywolf you are eyeing would likely be a very poor fit for your small frame. Even if you have a skilled gunsmith who could shorten the stock, the proportions would likely be unbalanced, and the change in the center of gravity might make quick handling difficult. Balance can be more important than overall weight. Considering a shorter overall length (shorter barrel and shorter stock/LOP) of a youth or women's model would be a prudent place for you to start. Your 30-30 already gives you this smallness and slenderness.

I will send you a PM (personal message) so we can discuss more in personal detail if you would like. Good luck in this search.

Thanks, awesome post.
Yes fit is important, and nothing too big.
Being small has advantages, but also disadvantages.
In a perfect world I would be 5'9", but that wasn't in the cards for me. But I've learnt to adapt pretty well to being small, and keeping my strength up relative to my size has helped immensely. My reactions are quick, which I believe is at least in part to being little, and 4 years of taking Hapkido didn't hurt either.

Small Lady,

I happen to know where there is a Stainless Remington Model 7 7mm-08 if you are interested. I have no idea what the export - import issues would be for you.
I've got grand kids your age.
My GF was was born in B.C.
PM is fine.

Last edited:
Is the 30-06 pretty flat to 300 yards?
If zeroed at 200 yards with Federal 150 grain factory ammo at 1600' elevation with a 5mph wind as an example..........
30-06
RANGE (YD)DROP (IN)WIND DRIFT (IN)VELOCITY (FPS)ENERGY (FT-LB)
0-1.5-0.029102820
250-3.23.222451678
300-8.04.721241502

308 Winchester
0-1.5-0.028202648
250-3.43.321681565
300-8.64.920491398

A lever is definitely an advantage in the scabbard.
Several coworkers have Brownings, and some others Henrys.

Having shot both, they are both wonderful, but I slightly prefer the BLR, and in a 6.5 creedmoor it was not much kick at all.
Wasn't a fan of the 45-70, 300, or 338 I've had a chance to shoot, they kick.
Never shot a 243, 30-06, 280, and I'm sure many others.
If you can find one a Savage 99 in .308 would serve you well also. It took me a while to find the one that I have, but don't believe I will ever part with it until I leave this earth. You would want to install a butt pad to reduce recoil. Happy trails.

If zeroed at 200 yards with Federal 150 grain factory ammo at 1600' elevation with a 5mph wind as an example..........
30-06
0-1.5-0.029102820
250-3.23.222451678
300-8.04.721241502

308 Winchester
0-1.5-0.028202648
250-3.43.321681565
300-8.64.920491398
The .30-06 is a very good round, and trajectory to 300 yards is no problem. The rule of thumb I've always followed with standard cartridges for hunting purposes is- sight in 3" high at 100 yards. You can use a dead on hold out to 250, upper 1/3 of chest at 300, top of back at 400. For those of us who grew up before the advent of optics with adjustable turrets, etc. this gives a quick, effective hold pattern for in the field hunting. Again, yes, the '06 is perfectly adequate in both trajectory and energy for the ranges you are talking about for any N.A. game. Shot placement is key.