A&D scale users? ( Newton EJ-123 series)

Hi. I think the magnetic dampened one of this accuracy ran another $200.00+. To me another second or two more time to weigh a cartridge wasn't that big a deal to me to justify that extra cost. But thats just me. I wasn't sure so I just threw a charge to qualify my comments. It took 5 seconds. As far as the amout of ammo you're going to reload? I just finished 4K Winchester .308 rounds for my AR-10 and 1500 for my 300 WinMag. I set my measure to throw a short charge and trickle in the difference. I didnt find it a "big deal" to be within .020 of a grain for each cartridge. I want EVERY one of my cartridges dead tits on the money. And guess what... they ALL are. Good luck
Based on the lack of magnetic dampening, I suspect that you don't feel this is a good buy for reloading a LOT of ammo. Is that a fair assessment?
The reason I ask is because when I am doing load development or even building a fair number of rounds for a given rifle once I've settled on a charge weight, I spend prodigious time in the powder weighing arena just to ensure that each cartridge fits my Cindarella criteria of being "just right."
I don't throw charges then pour them into each case as fast as possible, but I also don't want to have to take a sammich break in between weighing individual loads, either.
Obviously I'm being facetious in my comment but I'd surely like to have a scale that allows me to build my rounds in a relatively fast manner but not so fast as to be tossing TLAR (That Looks About Right) charges into the case.
So speed is important but not ALL important as opposed to accuracy in weight accountability IMO.
Which brings me back to my original question: is the time it takes to dampen out each weigh process so onerous and long that I should consider another scale altogether or is this scale (and its attendant and not-insignificant-price tag) worthy of my consideration?
TIA for any helpful suggestions and comments.
Overnout

I have spent a lot of time weighing my charges, probably 50% of my load time. The ad 120 is one of the best nobody questions this, but it costs $700.00 give or take. If you are loading inside of an accuracy node, where .1 of a grain is the norm, is that much standard deviation raised by powder charge?

I have measured to .02 on multiple occasions with a scale that drifts, which ruins confidence, still do it. Does measuring to the kernel .02 really help the node or confidence of the shooter?

I read about people loading consistently in single digit extreme spread and low standard deviations using charge masters because they are in a node. I have loaded single digit es, but will never shoot over 1000-1100 yards. Would I get much out of it?

Ps. If it's hard to understand I'll reword

Hi. I think the magnetic dampened one of this accuracy ran another $200.00+. To me another second or two more time to weigh a cartridge wasn't that big a deal to me to justify that extra cost. But thats just me. I wasn't sure so I just threw a charge to qualify my comments. It took 5 seconds. As far as the amout of ammo you're going to reload? I just finished 4K Winchester .308 rounds for my AR-10 and 1500 for my 300 WinMag. I set my measure to throw a short charge and trickle in the difference. I didnt find it a "big deal" to be within .020 of a grain for each cartridge. I want EVERY one of my cartridges dead tits on the money. And guess what... they ALL are. Good luck

Thank you. That is the answer I was looking for and which will help me to make an informed decision.

Fast Weighing Speed and High Resolution Deliver Repeatable and Reliable Results - Stabilization time as fast as 1 sec means increased productivity in your facility. Equipped with advanced weighing technology, the Scout also ensures repeatable and reliable weighing results .

I finally invested in the fx-120I with auto trickle, it will load to .00 in 10 seconds, makes my RCBS chargmaster about obsolete, did cost 849 though

Last edited:
it will not load to .00.
.02 with a .03 tolerance.
even the 1500 dollar scale is .01
,00 would require a .000 scale.
I finally invested in the fx-120I with auto trickle, it will load to .00 in 10 seconds, makes my RCBS chargmaster about obsolete, did cost 849 though

^^^^^ I was told a while ago if you want grain accuracy get a scale that reads to tenths. If you want tenth grain accuracy get a scale that reads to hundredths. That was from a guy that chambered 73 world record setting rifles.

yep
balance beams and most electronics are tenths....0.1
the better electronics(fx120i) are .02....not .01 but great for all but those with deep pockets
the 0.01 scales are around $1500
and by the way building and shooting are not the same.

^^^^^ I was told a while ago if you want grain accuracy get a scale that reads to tenths. If you want tenth grain accuracy get a scale that reads to hundredths. That was from a guy that chambered 73 world record setting rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts