A&D scale users? ( Newton EJ-123 series)

Deputy819

Hey guys! Was considering one of the A&D Newton EJ-123 series scales. Wondering if anyone here has experience with this particular A&D scale? My GemPro250 found its way to a garbage can about a year ago and I haven't looked at "precision scales" since. I know there's probably quite a few here using the A&D fx-120i....

I have one I got about a month ago. The only thing I don't like about it is, I can't wrap my brain around the calibration process. It will respond to a single kernel of powder. I haven't timed it but, I'm guessing it takes about 5-8 seconds to weigh a single kernel. I don't know if that's fast or slow. I'm not in any hurry, speed isn't on top of my list. I have noticed "zero" drifting. I do have it plugged into a Tripp Lite Isobar isolator. Here's a target I shot with ammo loaded with the EJ 123.

Attachments

• DSCF1154 (2).JPG
    DSCF1154 (2).JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 236
Not the scale your asking about but similar and worth a look. https://www.phantomscales.com/buy/tree/hrb103.php
I just got one a few months back and really like it, I've loaded over 2000 rounds with it to this point. Easy to use and calibrate, has a built in bubble level and it will resolve a single kernel of H4821SC. No drift issues, and it settles very quick. I leave it plugged in to a voltage regulator and powered on all the time and with both it and my chargemaster it's a fast and fluid process. Figure I'll add in if people haven't heard of doing it, I gently brush a dryer sheet across all parts of both my scales before I start my reloading process to help reduce static build up, started doing this 10 or so years ago and haven't had issues with drift since!

I bought mine 3 years ago. Weighs charges to the third decimal. Like others have said, it can measure down to a single kernal of 4831sc. (0.02gn!!!) I dont need to take it any further than that. Good luck!

without mag dampening i would pass
it will take 'TIME' to settle every time and move easily

Based on the lack of magnetic dampening, I suspect that you don't feel this is a good buy for reloading a LOT of ammo. Is that a fair assessment?
The reason I ask is because when I am doing load development or even building a fair number of rounds for a given rifle once I've settled on a charge weight, I spend prodigious time in the powder weighing arena just to ensure that each cartridge fits my Cindarella criteria of being "just right."
I don't throw charges then pour them into each case as fast as possible, but I also don't want to have to take a sammich break in between weighing individual loads, either.
Obviously I'm being facetious in my comment but I'd surely like to have a scale that allows me to build my rounds in a relatively fast manner but not so fast as to be tossing TLAR (That Looks About Right) charges into the case.
So speed is important but not ALL important as opposed to accuracy in weight accountability IMO.
Which brings me back to my original question: is the time it takes to dampen out each weigh process so onerous and long that I should consider another scale altogether or is this scale (and its attendant and not-insignificant-price tag) worthy of my consideration?
TIA for any helpful suggestions and comments.
Overnout

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts