More "affordable" digital precision scales: A&D GF series

jeremy.b

I wanted to start up a discussion around a set of more budget friendly precision scales/balances I've dug up.

Now, if you want the easy button, the A&D FX-120i fits the bill, but that's over $500 at CE products. The new Creedmore sports TXR 925 is getting good reviews as well but is still $350 for a load cell scale (but again, a good load cell!).

This post isn't for those that want a guaranteed new, retail product. This is for folks that interested in deal shopping and are aware of the challenges around shopping for quality used equipment.

10-15 years ago there were a number of recommendations for the OHAUS TS/TP 120/200/400D balances. They have decent readability, and were very affordable on ebay, sometimes as low as $100. Unfortunately they have been harder to find in the last few years.

In that time I dug around and stumbled into the A&D "GF" series (200, 200P, 200N ,300, 300P, 300N & 400 models) balances/scalse. They seem to be a version or two older than the FX-120i, BUT performance wise they are VERY similar to the FX series:
  • 0.001g readability
  • 1s stabilization times
  • magnetic force reduction technology (not a load cell)
  • * Supports grains (special note on the "P" & "N" versions below)
  • Support an older (but functional!) 25 pin serial/RS 232 port.
    With the correct adapter they can be connected to an auto trickler (they output the same data format as the FX series).
I have a GF-200P and a GF-400 balance and I'm REALLY pleased with them up to this point. I've used them both without the "breeze" break and while touchy, they are very usable in my reloading space without the break.

There ARE couple smallish things to note with the "P" (pharmacy) and "N" (ntep) versions of the GF series:
  • The factory configuration may not include the Grain unit on the "P" & "N" versions. BUT there is a "maintenance" manual for the GF series that shows how to easily get to the factory settings and enable ANY unit, including grains.
  • Secondly, the "P" & "N" versions also only send data out to the serial port down to 0.01g or 0.1 grains. This means the "P" & "N" versions are not the best option for use with an auto trickler or diy trickler setup (this is why I have a GF-400 now).
    As far as I can tell this is because these versions are certified for "trade" down to 0.01g rather than 0.001g. I have a note into A&D about being able to change the output to the serial port, but no luck getting a response yet.
I've seen the GF balances on ebay from $100 and up (plus shipping). There are some out there for quite a bit more, BUT from what I've seen, they are not selling fast. I've had offers come in from several sellers for less than half of what they are asking in their listings.

Here are some tips on dealing with ebay listings (for those so inclined):
  • Its ebay, be smart!
  • Its a good idea to look at balances that include a power adapter, power on and don't have a strange error code (although the maintenance manual DOES provide all the info on how to deal with differen error codes, IF someone is so inclined to dig into it).
  • The "breeze" break is not necessary, UNLESS your reloading space has a bit of air movement.
  • Don't be afraid to make an offer on more expensive listings, you'd be surprised what some sellers may take!
  • To solicit an offer FROM a seller you can add an item to your cart or watch list, and see if anything comes in.
The GF balances also show up at various laboratory/pharmacy surplus sites for reasonable prices. I never got around to dealing with those sites though, so I can't comment on how reliable they are to purchase from.

Anyway, that was alot of words, thanks for reading it this far! Hopefully this gives deal hunters out there a more affordable option to consider for precision scales.