940 Yard Whitetail Buck

Well done... Question for you as I've been thinking about trying some matrix. What kind of expansion did that matrix have at that distance? Did you by chance anneal the tips or shoot them as they come from matrix?

cowboy - Thank you. I did not recover the bullet. It passed through. The exit hole was about 2 inches in diameter (the bullet hit a rib as it exited). I did not anneal the tips.

So much of this country can look alike. I watched twice thinking "I know that spot". Seeing you're from Idaho I'm guessing it was on your side of the line.

Valuable lesson, at that distance study deer and have a good spotter that knows what he or she is looking at. That deer tell tailed long before the step the spotter should have called HOLD, and take it as soon as it stopped settled or dropped its head.

If you mark the crease behind the shoulder or a high shoulder at the time the round is let go, at time of impact it is off the rear of the deer. Clean miss or a little piece of ***.

Sorry but the truth and a valuable learning experience.

Great job!

Also a great example of why I mention flight time as being a factor when considering taking any given shot.

When your flight time exceeds 1 second an animal can move a long time between the time your brain sends the signal to squeeze the trigger and the bullet arriving on target.

Congrats on a nice buck and a great shot.gun)

Filming a hunt can resolve potential unknowns. One of which is the possibility of catching shot placement. This can be important to confirm an accurately placed shot. Place the computer cursor over the center of the vitals just as the shot is released. Watch for the impact. Does the cursor center with shot placement at time of impact? If not how far off center? What should be the outcome if the bullet impacted near where the cursor was centered at the time of the shot? These are some of the questions that may be answered by filming a hunt and reviewing the video.

Filming a hunt can resolve potential unknowns. One of which is the possibility of catching shot placement. This can be important to confirm an accurately placed shot. Place the computer cursor over the center of the vitals just as the shot is released. Watch for the impact. Does the cursor center with shot placement at time of impact? If not how far off center? What should be the outcome if the bullet impacted near where the cursor was centered at the time of the shot? These are some of the questions that may be answered by filming a hunt and reviewing the video.

+1
I was starting to wonder if there were any experienced LR hunters on here that actually saw what happened / went wrong.

HUH, apparently not everyone made it to the end of the video where shot placement was through the back of the lungs which last time I looked was still in the vitals and the buck was recovered. It's his shot, he managed it and by his including the fact that he hit a little back from POA due to the step he's reflected on the shot and knows why and what happened to put him of POA.
I see no need for added personal BS commentary!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.