7WSM COL question

PrimeTime

I wanted to have a 7WSM built for a carrying rifle on a remington short action. My gunsmith said that if I load the 160 grainers out far (bullet loaded to base of neck) that they would be too long for a short action. Does this seem right??? What is the oal of this round with something like a 160 Partition? Maybe I could lengthen the magazine box?
Any answers or opinions would be great.

That's correct Prime.

It seems to be the norm for a short action.

If you load them (the bullets) out far enough to utilize the case capacity, they won't fit in the magazine. If you push the bullets down in the case to fit the magazine, there's less powder capacity.
Possibly your smith can lengthen the magazine box.

That's exactly why the 284 wasen't as popular as it could have been when Winchester came out with it. They put it in a semi auto rifle with a short magazine box and action. Had to seat the bullet so far down in the case it never had a chance to show what it was really capable of.
The 284 is as good as any for a carry gun if you have a long action and can seat the bullet out where it should be. It will stay with the 280 anytime. As a matter of fact, the 284 has proven to be the wildcatters DREAM but, you must put it on an action where you can seat the bullet out where it shoud be.

DC

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Prime Time,
I just read an article in Petersons Rifle Shotter (Jan/Feb2002) by Jon Sundra on this. Good article and very informative. Sundra states that the Rem 700 SA magazine will accept cartidges loaded to an overall length of 2.82 inches, Ruger SA @ 2.89 inches but the Winchester 70 SA (.308Win family chamberings and now .300WSM) will accept cartidges up to 3.050 inches.

I've always thought I might just fill in the magazine and make a single shot in that situation? If done right I've heard it will stiffen the action. I like those handy cheek pads that hold a few extra rounds. Never thought it would be much of a disadvantage to load a quick follow up shot that way?

Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.