7mmSAUM vs 7mm Rem

7ultra

First off, this is my first post on this forum. Seems like a great place, with some good info. Anyways, my cousin is in the market for his first hunting rifle. Personally, I want to steer him towards the 7mmRem, because both me and my uncle shoot it. On top of that, I've been reloading for it for over 2 years now, and am pretty comfortable with it. However, I do see that there is a new kid on the block. Given similairly priced rifles, which one should he go with, the new 7 or the old.

7Ultra

Of the two I would recomend the 7 Rem mag. First you said you and your uncle shoot it and you load for it. Being familiar with it is a bonus and in a pinch everyone using the same thing could be an advantage. Who doesn't know someone that forgot their ammo at home? Another problem is that the short action ultra mags may not survive against winchesters versions. I say if he needs that level of performance and can handle the recoil then go with the tried and true.

7ultra

think I would look at the 7 WSM also. that is getting so popular now that ammo is readily available and fairly reasonably priced. The new winchester coyotes are shooting very well and make great hunting rigs at about 8-9 lbs with scope normally. Pretty reasonably priced in the $560-580 range normally.

BH

Thanks all for the responses,
Thats pretty much what I was thinking, in terms of having everyone using the same ammo. One other question though, I was browsing through my reloading manuals, and found that given equal barrel lengths, the old 7 mag pulls around 125-200 fps faster than the short mag
confused.gif
Looking at the data further, in terms of % cartridge used, the old 7 achieves higher velocities with comparatively less powder and capacity used(with same powders used). When introduced, I thought one of the big advantages to the short mags was that they were efficient. Any explanations?

Well being just a kid i cant say for sure or that i know from any certain experience, but to me the explaination is marketing. Why not release a new line of cartriges on aa concept that hasnt really been widely intruduced before, little short fat magnums, and make a bunch of believeable but not necisarily true claims about what it will do to get people interested? It worked for them, as they have really sold alot of them and they have become pretty popular, but in reality, as far as i can see, there really is no gain in effeecientcy in short mags, at least not enough to make them any better from a practical standpoint, they really offer no gain in velocity, and like you said are often slower, and the fraction of an inch in action length that you cut off when useing a short mag is really negligible in overall length of the rifle and weight. Like i said, just a marketing thing, something cool and new for people to buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.