7mm Weatherby: Why so little attention?

In all fairness had I known about the 7wby and it's real potential before discovering the 7mm STW I'd probably still be shooting one and have a couple of spares just in case.

Unfortunately my Dad had some sort of inborn prejudice against the WBY's and convinced us young they weren't worth messing with.

Eventually I learned he just couldn't tolerate the recoil.
That's funny because my one of my big game mentors did the same thing to me with the 300 win. Told me the 7stw was the only big game rifle to own. Couldn't afford one at the time ended up with a 300 rum.

Finding ammo and brass has always kept me from going to the Weatherby magnums, plus very few factory guns chambered for them when compared to whatever Win or Rem magnums. I want a 340 really really bad and have for 20 years but I haven't jumped yet.
I wouldn't jump at your age....climb down slowly!

Just tossing this out there to generate discussion and probably ruffle feathers but the more I see about this old cartridge the more I can't understand why it's so far removed from the commercial success of 7mm-"anything else"magnums. It's what the 7mm rem could have been but wasn't. It nips right on the heels of the STW, Nosler, and RUM cartridges out of ordinary hunting rifle barrel lengths with waaaay less powder. Whatever about the curvy shoulder voodoo, I don't know that there's anything to that, but it hasn't been crippled by an arbitrarily low SAAMI pressure and hooray for freebore. (Also the .270 weatherby comes to mind for the same virtues…).

So what are your thoughts? It wouldn't be hard to fire form brass, and we love tinkering with things enough that the weatherby case design and expensive factory ammo can't possibly be all there is to why this round isn't more popular…can it?

If I ever get a 7mm of any kind this will probably be the one.
I'm pretty sure twist rate which limits shooting the heavy high BC bullets is a main drawback. If you are going to go custom, build a barrel with a 1-7 to 1-8 twist and you will probably be happy so long as those heavy bullets shoot well with lots of freebore. Otherwise get a custom reamer and shorten up that "jump" and build it around the bullet you plan to shoot.

From what I understand what ever difference there is between the 7 Weatherby and the 7 RM will never be seen in the field on game. Kind of the same situation between the 308 and the 30-06. Then there's the cost of operation thing.

I just bought a 7mm WEA not long ago. Classic lines to the stock with beautifully figured dense, heavy wood. Don't know where it was stocked. It was the former owner's 2x African plains game and Rockies rifle, without a scratch. The deal maker was that it came with 17 BOXES of Weatherby brand ammo.
Carried it this past season when I wanted a step up from my usual .308. Terrific rifle. Yes, I'm still giggling like a teen girl.

Just tossing this out there to generate discussion and probably ruffle feathers but the more I see about this old cartridge the more I can't understand why it's so far removed from the commercial success of 7mm-"anything else"magnums. It's what the 7mm rem could have been but wasn't. It nips right on the heels of the STW, Nosler, and RUM cartridges out of ordinary hunting rifle barrel lengths with waaaay less powder. Whatever about the curvy shoulder voodoo, I don't know that there's anything to that, but it hasn't been crippled by an arbitrarily low SAAMI pressure and hooray for freebore. (Also the .270 weatherby comes to mind for the same virtues…).

So what are your thoughts? It wouldn't be hard to fire form brass, and we love tinkering with things enough that the weatherby case design and expensive factory ammo can't possibly be all there is to why this round isn't more popular…can it?

I had Shilen rebarrel a Sako action with a 1x8 twist, I just need to get rolling as I have lots of brass and ammo. This should be a good combo from 160 grains up thru the heavies.

Yes! I've long thought a vanguard in .340 wby would be just my kind of thing, an affordable sledgehammer with flair…
I think...That's the Whole reason Weatherby doesn't have too many of their PREMIUM Calibers in Vanguard....they don't want to cheapen their line and be another "me too". There is still a great amount of pride in owning a Mark V....at least for me!

I bought 400 pieces of new Remington brass in 7weatherby for forty dollars about 15 years ago (can you say OMG) with the intention of building a rifle to go with it finally 3 years ago I had pacnor rebarrel the action and I put it in a McMillan stock and have not had one regret about not building a different 7mm it does everything you could ask of it

I often thought being buried with my custom 460 Weatherby I bought when I was 25, a 1200.00 bottle of scotch, and a 100.00 bill in my pocket would be the way to go. Then I thought...nope...can't deny my sons that gun! So now I'm going to choke down a 3 lb. Bag of Popcorn kernels....and be Cremated...It will be EPIC! 🤣

I never like the free bore in the WBY rifles. They are a petty rifle, but kick like a mule. I shot my uncle 300 WBY. Couldn't get it to group. I felt that the free bore, and light weight barrel contribute to the poor grouping. I knew there velocity was above my 300 H & H at the time. I could get the 300 H & H to group just fine. The cost was above my pay grade at the time too. The twist rate were standard at that time, which isn't the case anymore. heavier bullets required faster twists. So now it's up to what you want to shoot down the tube. All my rifle are the older twists, and I have only one that will have the faster twist barrel. So nothing against them, but nothing for them either. Now in today time, and faster twist barrels they have great velocities.

It's a great cartridge. But I went with 7mm Dakota. Outshines it a fair amount and better case design. No belt, straight case walls from the parent .404 Jeffrey. But the 7mm Wby should have bumped up to the larger .300Wby case.
As for the .270 Wby….it's a beast. I had 3 customs built but without freebore and a 1:9 twist and MB. Perfect case size for the .277" Love mine. But check the 7mm Dakota if you reload.

Last edited: