7mm Ultra Mag or have you seen any similar ballistic performance?

superlite17

Hi all! I have been looking at the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag for some time now... and man does it seem hot. I originally liked the STW and watched it, but this ultra performs a lot better and seems less volatile.
Anyway, here is where i offend a lot of people, but while i love Rem calibres I cannot stand their firearms. I have had three and NONE of them shot groups for me no matter what load i tried! Plus they will not jump on board with adjustable trigger pull or set triggers.
So, have any of you found the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag produced by any other rifle makers??? IF SO PLEASE HELP!

Thanks - Rod

What BD said in caps.

Will worth the extra dollars for the craftmanship. By the time the barrel is broke in you're ready for prime time.

Otherwise, you spend the $ + time hunting for the correct powder, bullet, primer, seating depth etc. I'm getting to old for that.......

I'm not so sure the 7mm RUM is better than the STW. It may seem so when you look at numbers, but it is a thin case and very innefficient.

Rifle: Custom built is the way to go. SS, M700, Shilen #5 contour barrel finished at 28". Bedded into a Classic McMillan Stock. Jewell trigger set at 1 lb. Zeiss Glass on top.

Load: 140 grs Nosler Accubonds, on top of 103 grs of H BMG50, GM 215 primers, Remington cases.

Results: 3600 FPS into .03 - .17 inches at 100 yards, .76" at 400 yards, and 1.7" at 600 yards.

With a fluted barrel and break, the rifle weighs a mere 9 lbs fully rigged. It generates minimal recoil as well.

Too sweet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Better is very subjective. If all you want is the max velocity, go with the 7 RUM or a necked down 30-378 or the Lazzeroni. I agree that the RUM's are VERY ineffecient, but velocity is velocity, if thats what you want, you will get more with the RUM and other wildcats than the STW.
Plus you can factor in 23% more energy at 300 meters... with the ultra mag

If you are thinking about shooting several hundred rounds through it better think about factoring in barrel replacement costs. This caliber is a barrel burner. So is the STW. For that reason alone when I found one like you I quickly sold it and went back to a custom 7mm Remington Magnum. You will want to build a 7mm with a 8.5 twist as larger BC bullets keep coming out. Maybe not, I forgot about your interest is in speed, not accuracy. Oh, you should consider using a Remington 700 action in your custom unless your wallet is unlimited. If you plan on reloading, the 7mm RUM eats cases like powder. About 2-3 reloads a round at best and one mess extracting from your chamber. I only use Nosler brass but it doesn't hold up because of the thinner wall of this calibers casing. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.