7MM STW Powders

norm82

I am currently using H1000 which is becoming harder to find. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on different powders I could try that might be easier to find. My current load is 76gr. of H1000 shooting a 180gr. Berger at 3045fps.

Hello! I am new to this site and own an 7mm stw. I have been doing alot of reading hear and am amazed at the amount of quality information. I have been reloading mine with nosler 140g Accubond's , 82g of H1000 with good results. I believe this is about a max load for my rifle. I was in the gun store today and saw Hogdon US869 and was wondering if anyone hear has used it? I was looking at working up a 160g Accubond load. Any help is always appreciated.

Hello! I am new to this site and own an 7mm stw. I have been doing alot of reading hear and am amazed at the amount of quality information. I have been reloading mine with nosler 140g Accubond's , 82g of H1000 with good results. I believe this is about a max load for my rifle. I was in the gun store today and saw Hogdon US869 and was wondering if anyone hear has used it? I was looking at working up a 160g Accubond load. Any help is always appreciated.

If you have a 1:9 twist, don't be afraid to go for the Berger 168 or 180's. Won't be as fast, but magic happens when you shoot 180+ grain bullets out of a case with a capacity to handle it.

I've used both aa8700 and wc872, which are very similar to 869. I'm not terribly fond of either. I'd burn one of the slower rl or hodgdon stick powders long before I burn a ball powder.... I'm not saying ball powders have no uses, but they are far down my choice list for most of what I do.

Muddy is always pushing for 7828 in the stw; I think it's a bit fast but I'd got there long before I went to 869 in my rifle.

Don't be hatin John... :D It's workin well for me pushin the heavies... So I don't have any complaints.

7828 sits directly above RL-25 on the burn chart, so it's a fairly slow powder. It's alot slower than 22, but it's still not quite as slow as H1000.

Thank you for your replies. I am shooting a m70 classic that started life as a 7mm win mag around 1995. It has a 26 in bbl with 9.5 twist, fluted,muzzle brake,crown and glass bedded. My paperwork shows the gun was built by a place called the shooters shop in butte mt. I can't find any info on this shop?? It may be the the Montana rifle co now. I think I will start with a 168gr as suggested. What can I expect to see with my setup and what do you guys think would be a good starting point? As posted before I have only loaded 140s to this point.

Thank you for your replies. I am shooting a m70 classic that started life as a 7mm win mag around 1995. It has a 26 in bbl with 9.5 twist, fluted,muzzle brake,crown and glass bedded. My paperwork shows the gun was built by a place called the shooters shop in butte mt. I can't find any info on this shop?? It may be the the Montana rifle co now. I think I will start with a 168gr as suggested. What can I expect to see with my setup and what do you guys think would be a good starting point? As posted before I have only loaded 140s to this point.
With a 9.5 twist, I don't think I'd even try the 180's. I'd stick with the 168 VLD's.

Many years ago the 7x300 Weatherby was a very popular cartridge where im from
in PA. Later, the 7 stw came along and ultimatly became a factory chambering.
That led to its becoming a very popular 7mm cartridge. There is essentually no
performance differences between the two cartridges. Back then there were far fewer suitable powders for these type cartridges. 4831 is a bit fast although it works well in the 7 rem mag. H870 was about the best available at the time. WC872 is almost identicle to h870 as for loading and velocity. My load of both those powders were 89 gr with a 162 gr hornady in a 700 action and was pretty much a max load. Very poor performance in cold weather however. When other powder choices came along we were all over trying them. 7828 was my choice and also of others i know mainly because of velocity increases and better cold weather performance.
Ive been using 81 gr again with the 162 hornady. A word of caution however in that 7828 will slam the door very quickly on the max load. You can go from an easy bolt lift to a heavy one with a half gr increase. Its my intent to be trying other powder like retumbo in my gun. I have a friend who uses 80 gr in his 7 stw with the 168 berger. He claims similar velocity to my gun and load.
I think there could well be friendlier choices than 7828 although it does perform.

H1000 is what I use in all of my reloads for my twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs.

It has never disappointed and I've tried a lot of powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.