7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

DSCN0524.jpg

This is my Model 70 7mm STW. I have a 4-16 X 50 Vortex Viper HS LR scope mounted on the Rifle. It's pillar bedded and the barrel is free floating and has well tuned trigger. The rifle is fueled with 154 grain Hornady SST bullets. The rifle has several kills on it including a 935 yard shot on a mule deer in Idaho.

View attachment 28565

This is my Model 70 7mm STW. I have a 4-16 X 50 Vortex Viper HS LR scope mounted on the Rifle. It's pillar bedded and the barrel is free floating and has well tuned trigger. The rifle is fueled with 154 grain Hornady SST bullets. The rifle has several kills on it including a 935 yard shot on a mule deer in Idaho.
Nice pipe!! It's good to see that a win ss stw can be made to shoot. My Pops had one and the tupperware stock was flaky enough accuracy wise that he grew frustrated and sold the rifle.

Hi STW Brothers!

I'm looking to load 150 TSX with my STW. Hodgdon's manual's max loads are 3 grains lighter than what I use with 160 accubonds. Barnes loads much higher.

Need help

Thanks
Johnny
I'd guess differences between test rifles. Start low enough to be safe in the event your rifle needs the lower charge and walk her up.

Nice pipe!! It's good to see that a win ss stw can be made to shoot. My Pops had one and the tupperware stock was flaky enough accuracy wise that he grew frustrated and sold the rifle.

I agree the stock on this model is disappointing. That is why I pillar bedded the stock first thing. I got lucky because this is a shooter. It likes just about every load I tried. It shoots sub minute groups at 100 yards and if I'm shooting well it it will shoot 1/2 inch groups.:)

View attachment 28565

I like it!

I had the same rifle in 7mm Rem. Pillars installed, bedded with Marinetex and it shot bug holes with the Winchester premium 140's.

I also stiffened the forend by epoxying in a steel rod running the full length back to the recoil lug.

I still miss that rifle, but my ex wanted it and it was a small price to pay to seal the deal to be rid of her.

I also have one in 300wm in a nice laminate stock I did the same way that is a fantastic shooter that I got lucky enough to pick up in an estate sale for 500.00 new, unfired and still in the original box with a decent Leupold matching silver Leupold 3-9x50 VXII installed.

I had the same rifle in 7mm Rem. Pillars installed, bedded with Marinetex and it shot bug holes with the Winchester premium 140's.

I also stiffened the forend by epoxying in a steel rod running the full length back to the recoil lug.

I still miss that rifle, but my ex wanted it and it was a small price to pay to seal the deal to be rid of her.

I also have one in 300wm in a nice laminate stock I did the same way that is a fantastic shooter that I got lucky enough to pick up in an estate sale for 500.00 new, unfired and still in the original box with a decent Leupold matching silver Leupold 3-9x50 VXII installed.

The steel rod in the stock is an interesting idea. Getting new ideas is one of the reason I go to these forms.

View attachment 28565

Nice set-up!

I would love to have a Win Model 70 sharpshooter classic SS in the 7mm STW caliber!

Sounds like you'll have a good rifle when you get her set up! I'm more of a burris/weaver/leopold guy for rings but it seems everyone has their favorites. Do you have a line on brass? That seems to be the hardest thing for a lot of the stw guys lately; most that don't have a stash are reforming other la belted brass to stw.

Lefty, the brass situation is no better up here, I did find some brass but didn't buy it because I have some for now, the brass was R-P., I wish I could buy a bunch of WW brass, that is what is hard to find. I did get my EGW #42400 picatiny rail but I am not happy with it, the fit is not right, the base fits the reciever beautifully but the clearance cut under the base does not match the reciever port opening, the rear part overhangs the ejection port by 1/2" or so. this is going to be a problem since it will make loading a bugger, tried to work things out with EGW but they tell me that the only thing they can do is send it back for a refund or for modifications, funny thing is it is labeled as made for H&H actions! It actually fits my standard 300 WM fine but not the STW, not sure which direction I will go from here.
We got to put pressure on Winchester to make another run of brass, there seems to be enough demand.
BB

The steel rod in the stock is an interesting idea. Getting new ideas is one of the reason I go to these forms.
Trust me it works. I've also used 1/2" wide 1/8' thick aluminum welded together in a T or a small piece of aluminum L metal laid in with the apex up to really stiffen up a cheap plastic stock.

Just be sure whatever you put in there you run all the way back to the recoil lug and you'll be good to go.

If you want to add a lot of weight and really stiffen it up I mix Devcon and tungsten powder till it's thick as paste, warm it and lay it down with a putty knife after removing as much material in there as I can.