7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I was up at Hendershots in Hagerstown, MD and saw a SS Winchester w/ claw extractor in 7 STW for $1000.00, seemed a little high for a used rifle but did not get a look at the barrel. I have taken my Hawkeye to gunshops to look at barrels before buying them.
Happy New Yr guys

Yeah, that does seem a little high, but I'll bet it was nice. I'm sure the price is largely due to the caliber. Happy New year, and talk to you SOON.

I know very little about the Winchester actions, so are you saying a claw extractor Win action can only be a Pre 64?

Yup, if it had " the claw", similar to a Mauser action, that is a pre-64 remake. Or sometimes, they are referred to as classics. The Winchester is a awesome action, in either of it's three configurations . They have the Pre-64 action, the post 64 push feed which is similar to a Remington, and now, they have the CRF,( controlled round feed). That action is designed to engage the round from the magazine, and slips over the rim BEFORE it engages the chamber, rather then " bump over" when it is pushed in, and seated into the chamber. The pre 64 did the same thing, but it had a larger extractor, known as the " Claw". Impressed Butterbean?

I know very little about the Winchester actions, so are you saying a claw extractor Win action can only be a Pre 64?

The Claw extractor is the original Pre-64 model 70. They changed to a push feed-flat bottomed reciever for a while and it's the same style of reciever that they use for the WSSM actions. They have, for quite a while made mo 70s with the original claw extraxtors thus making them just like the pre-64 actions.

Dan

AFAIK, there are three different "types" of Winchester 70 actions, not counting long/short actions:

The actual pre-64 and pre-64 type (so-called "Classic") actions with the long extractor and blade ejector.

The push-feed action with the small extractor (similiar to AR-15 extractor) with plunger ejector. Bolt face similiar to Rem. 700, but with better extractor.

The "CRPF" (Controlled round push feed) actions with a bolt face similiar to, but not exactly the same as the CRF actions, but with the push-feed extractor and blade ejector.

I have examples of all three on hand and will post pics if you guys are interested.

Happy New Years all!
I would like to keep posting on here, but I think I will need to learn some things about how to function here first. If someone would be so kind as to direct me to where I can do some reading to learn how to properly post, add friends, use the "quote" button, etc..
Thanks in advance!!

Please post pics, there are a lot of winnie after market parts similar to rem 700 and winnie actions and guns are undervalued for building on as gunsmithing requires less skill and takes less time on rem 700's. So, I think winnie's of various heritage are quite interesting to consider a build with. A savings of a few hundred for any one looking to build quality for the best value. There are some of us that still think that way! Once I saw Jewel making a trigger for winnie's, i got sold on winchester actions as a base.

AFAIK, there are three different "types" of Winchester 70 actions, not counting long/short actions:

The actual pre-64 and pre-64 type (so-called "Classic") actions with the long extractor and blade ejector.

The push-feed action with the small extractor (similiar to AR-15 extractor) with plunger ejector. Bolt face similiar to Rem. 700, but with better extractor.

The "CRPF" (Controlled round push feed) actions with a bolt face similiar to, but not exactly the same as the CRF actions, but with the push-feed extractor and blade ejector.

I have examples of all three on hand and will post pics if you guys are interested.

Yep, Jim's right. The .223 WSSM I had was a controled round push feed. Had a blade extractor with a blade ejecter. It worked really well for those short stubbys.

I'll be looking for a M70 Coyote this year chambered in the .223 WSSM as I still have the Brass and dies from that light weight rifle.

Jim, please post the photos for clarification for the others....

My gunsmith works on a lot of m70s of all types, He charges more for the claw extractor because the barrel needs to be head spaced and indexed with a cut made for the claw extractor in the barrel. Remys and the push feeds don't need this cut and some gunsmiths aren't willing to tool up for it.

Dan

Hello 7mm STW brotherhood
I want to know if it would be possible to build a7mm STW using a Stevens 200 7mm Remington magnum rifle? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Recent Posts