7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

The only question I would have with the Noslers would be close range shots under 150 yards.
I like the Hornady Interbond and Interlock better on "close work" but the AB's hold together pretty well, heck I've even seen SST's blow up at close range hitting a twig so that tells me what I've always known which is that at very close ranges and high velocities most bullets are going to have a rough time holding together.

Fortunately hide is not as tough as mesquite.

Hello All!
I don't often post on-line, however this thread caught my eye recently. I have read every post in this thread and have found it to be quite entertaining and enlightening.
I had purchased a 7mm STW when they were brought out in the Remington 700 SS-DBM with muzzlebrake (24") way back when. I had already been shooting a very accurate 7mm Rem Mag. which had a very "fast" barrel. Long story short, the STW only managed approximately 40fps more velocity with 140 Nosler BT's. I couldn't see using all of that powder for a few more fps, so I sold it.
I had more recently been thinking about building a 6.5x284 Norma on a Remington 30-06 action I have sitting around. My nephew wanted me to building a 7mm Ultra Mag.. Well, that made me start thinking about the STW again. Then I learned that Remngton had chambered some of their SPS rifles in the 7mm STW.
This past weekend I picked up a Remington 700 SPS, 7mm STW. After cleaning it, I switched out the liability trigger for a Shilen I already had. I topped it with a 4.5-14 Leupold and bottomed it with a B&C Alaskan Ti stock. The dies won't arrive from Midway until Thursday (1/3/13).
I am so looking forward to working with this rifle!

Hello All!
I don't often post on-line, however this thread caught my eye recently. I have read every post in this thread and have found it to be quite entertaining and enlightening.
I had purchased a 7mm STW when they were brought out in the Remington 700 SS-DBM with muzzlebrake (24") way back when. I had already been shooting a very accurate 7mm Rem Mag. which had a very "fast" barrel. Long story short, the STW only managed approximately 40fps more velocity with 140 Nosler BT's. I couldn't see using all of that powder for a few more fps, so I sold it.
I had more recently been thinking about building a 6.5x284 Norma on a Remington 30-06 action I have sitting around. My nephew wanted me to building a 7mm Ultra Mag.. Well, that made me start thinking about the STW again. Then I learned that Remngton had chambered some of their SPS rifles in the 7mm STW.
This past weekend I picked up a Remington 700 SPS, 7mm STW. After cleaning it, I switched out the liability trigger for a Shilen I already had. I topped it with a 4.5-14 Leupold and bottomed it with a B&C Alaskan Ti stock. The dies won't arrive from Midway until Thursday (1/3/13).

Welcome to the brotherhood!

Could you please let us know how your modified 700 SPS 7mm STW performs at the range after you have done some fine tuning with a few loads you have worked up.

pd410, welcome to the group, again. Hope everything works out for you. It sounds like you are starting a nice foundation for the rifle.

There is a lot of good info here, with some very knowledgeable people.

Thank you Gamehawker and Black67. Glad to be here!
I am not sure when I will get to shoot or post again, however I will do so. My nephew has me hooked on developing some type of a long range (300-700 yard by my definition) rifle. He shoots a 16lb 338 Edge, which is fine by me, but a little too heavy for how I hunt. I like "walking" rifles!
Between work and family, I will be trying to find time to work some loads soon. It's about 25 degrees here with 5" of snow. Just the kind of weather I like to shoot in anyway.
Pretty sure I'm going to have to single load this rifle, as every bullet I've measured with a comparator is way too long for the box magazine.

Bob Hart replaced the barrel of my Remington Model 700 7 MM Mag with a Remington 7 mm STW stainless steel barrel and muzzle brake, 26 inches long. He also replaced the beautiful Remington wood stock with a beautiful custom Kevlar stock with pillar bedding. He also accurized the action and lapped the lugs. It has a titanium firing pin.

He recommended Nosler 150 grain Hunting Ballistic Tip bullets, 81 grains of IMR 7828 powder, Federal 215 primers, and Remington brass. I am pondering Accubonds and CT Ballistic Tips. What is your experience and recommendation?

My Remington stock and 7 mm mag. barrel are for sale. Interested? Bill

I also have a 24" barreled Remmy 700 7mm RM. I presently shoot 150 Bal Tips in front of 67 grs of IMR7828 with Fed 215 primers. My 7 RM shoots that bullet very well. I will be trying that bullet first in the STW, even though it would probably be a veritable bomb under 150 yards.

Thank you Gamehawker and Black67. Glad to be here!
I am not sure when I will get to shoot or post again, however I will do so. My nephew has me hooked on developing some type of a long range (300-700 yard by my definition) rifle. He shoots a 16lb 338 Edge, which is fine by me, but a little too heavy for how I hunt. I like "walking" rifles!
Between work and family, I will be trying to find time to work some loads soon. It's about 25 degrees here with 5" of snow. Just the kind of weather I like to shoot in anyway.
Pretty sure I'm going to have to single load this rifle, as every bullet I've measured with a comparator is way too long for the box magazine.

Wpd410, Welcome to the Bro' hood, and the addiction to the STW. It sounds like you are on your way, and the trigger swap was a good idea. Those Pro Mark triggers are a little cantankerous at best. Some good, some bad, most not good. I remember those 700 DBM models. And the only thing wrong with them at the time was the barrels were TOO short. I am sure you've read enough by now, or know that a STW can't " throttle up" unless she's got a 26+ launch pad. Anyone of " us " here will be glad to steer you in right direction, including myself, if you feel something ain't right.
And, yeah, I feel your pain on the snow, and temps. I too live in the Northeast, and have the same issue now myself. It's been in the teens here the past few days, which isn't ideal shooting weather.
One bit of advice on your rifle, especially initially, is to be diligent with your break in process. Shoot, clean, shoot clean, bla bla, bla, etc. She will come around. The STW is an awesome round, and with the bullet selection that is out there now, it is even better. The STW is a lot less finicky then the RUM, and your barrel will last a lot longer as well. Have fun, enjoy the ride, and don't be afraid to ask a question or two!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

P/ S, the STW is free bored, and engaging the throat, and fit into the box is impossible. Actually, all of mine fit into the box, and print great groups. And depending what bullet you choose, some of them like to " jump" anyway. FWIW.

Bob Hart replaced the barrel of my Remington Model 700 7 MM Mag with a Remington 7 mm STW stainless steel barrel and muzzle brake, 26 inches long. He also replaced the beautiful Remington wood stock with a beautiful custom Kevlar stock with pillar bedding. He also accurized the action and lapped the lugs. It has a titanium firing pin.

He recommended Nosler 150 grain Hunting Ballistic Tip bullets, 81 grains of IMR 7828 powder, Federal 215 primers, and Remington brass. I am pondering Accubonds and CT Ballistic Tips. What is your experience and recommendation?

goodmanCPA, congrats on your new rifle, and if you are talking about the Hart, in Nescopek PA, they do great work. My uncle had a rifle built there, and has killed a box car load of deer with it, and it keeps on shooting.
Your combo sounds awesome, and should not be hard to get to shoot.
His recommendations are sound, and is a good starting point. The Accubond bullet is a good performer, but now, we have a new variation of them coming out now, which are the " Long Range " version of them, ( spelled higher BC). They should prove to be the ticket. You can't go wrong with a Nosler bullet. Some of us here are having great success with the Barnes line of bullets, and Hornady is putting out some fine projectiles now as well. So you don't have a bullet choice problem. Also, some of the newer propellants that are avail now, really make em' purr!
Welcome to the " Brotherhood" and share your experience. Don't be afraid to ask a question or two either.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I would stay away from Nosler 150 grain Hunting Ballistic Tip bullets they won't stay together

Hello All!

P/ S, I like that BC Alaskan stock as well. I am building a rifle now, and IF I had gone with a Remmy action, that was one of picks. I went with a Winchester action, and haven't looked back.

Hello All!
It's a simple matter of physics. In order to maximize the gains from the case size without dangerous pressure levels you need longer barrels with the STW than the 7mm mag.

You just can't properly utilize that much case capacity in barrels under 26" and really to get the greatest benefits you need to go to 28" or longer.

Have fun and welcome back.

My experience with the NBT's is that they will not hold together at these velocities for anything other than long range shooting.

The Accubond and Hornady Interbond along with the Swift Sirocco are much better choices. Stick with the 150gr or heavier bullets and you'll end up very happy.

I was up at Hendershots in Hagerstown, MD and saw a SS Winchester w/ claw extractor in 7 STW for $1000.00, seemed a little high for a used rifle but did not get a look at the barrel. I have taken my Hawkeye to gunshops to look at barrels before buying them.
Happy New Yr guys