7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I had good speeds and accuracy with wc872 with a Barnes 195 original. I dont remember the exact load but I got over 3100 f.p.s. out of a 27" Hart.

Dano, 41 mag, Wild Rose, Butterbean,

That is two votes so far on the 26 length. It is now at 27 inches, but is designed to be reduced by 1/2 inch on both ends, to finish at 26. I was going to AT LEAST go 24 inches, but was undecided as to whether to cut it to 24, or to finish it at 26.
I am going with a standard 280 case, no AI. I don't want to fool with fire forming, and special dies or whatever. I have a light to carry 7 mag, and Dano' I love ANYTHING seven millimeter. ( go figure). The #4 contour is plenty stiff enough, and I'm sure she's gonna be a shooter. I had one years ago, and it shot like a house on fire. This gun is going to be for areas that the don't need the extra power, so I think the standard 280 will be just fine. So, that being said, will 26 inch be ok, or too long?
Man, I love this group, and this thread..thanks guys.
26" is the ideal length. You can really maximize your case volume and get peak speed and stability. Remember RPM is a function of three things, barrel length, barrel twist, and velocity. RPM = stability. With the new offerings in 7mm bullets it's a no brainer.

Just looking around.... I noticed that Nosler has come out with their 2013 Catalog online in pdf form. They have the Accubond Long Range bullets listed.
I'm pretty excited about this as the 175g bullets have a higher listed BC than the 180g Berger VLDs. Looking forward to shooting these when they come out.

Dan

Just looking around.... I noticed that Nosler has come out with their 2013 Catalog online in pdf form. They have the Accubond Long Range bullets listed.
I'm pretty excited about this as the 175g bullets have a higher listed BC than the 180g Berger VLDs. Looking forward to shooting these when they come out.

Dan
I posted those new offerings earlier in the thread. With our velocities, those BC's and especially the SD's of those bullets we may well see the STW taken far beyond what even the most die hard lovers of the caliber though possible a few years ago.

I already have a 1230yds 2 shot kill with my original Remington Custom 7mm STW and I can only imagine what will be possible once we get some loads for those worked out.

I posted those new offerings earlier in the thread. With our velocities, those BC's and especially the SD's of those bullets we may well see the STW taken far beyond what even the most die hard lovers of the caliber though possible a few years ago.

I already have a 1230yds 2 shot kill with my original Remington Custom 7mm STW and I can only imagine what will be possible once we get some loads for those worked out.

Yeah, I remember you posting them.I didn't look too closely at the BCs or SDs until I saw them in the catalog. Wasn't sure if they were real or not (Nothing against you, you just hear rumors sometimes),..... I hate getting my hopes up, kind of like those 195g Bergers that I have heard about but haven't seen out yet.

Either way, it's really nice to see the bullet manufacturers pay attention to us as long range shooters. And for us to have more options than just the few we have now.

Dan

STW guys or we may lose our following. If 7mm bullets go to 195 grains should we be ordering 1x8.5 barrels?
A little digression never hurts. We're all in it for the long haul with this round and recoil, etc. play a part in why some of us like the round.
I personally like the 7stw simply because it delivers 300 win energy downrange with equal recoil and flatter trajectory. It's the only 7mm I'm serious about, though I always seem to have a 7rem lying about. My rifle will be made to shoot one way or another. I've got a moa rifle in 7mmstw at present, but to be sure of it in the field I want a sub 1/2 moa rifle. I'm also going back to 140 grain slugs. The time of flight is lower by a bit and that means something to me on running game.

I like The 7mm STW for these reasons,
it ain't to hungry to feed, can produce find accuracy, has a great selection of bullets, doesn't need a brake or supressor and has the energy to kill deer sized game out to a 1000yds.

Only improvement i would like is to have Lapua manufacter the brass.

Seasons greetings to all and best wishes for 2013:)

Regards Steve.

I was looking at the Nosler site, and it appears that they have some good news on the Accubond Long Range bullets. Per their documents, it looks like they all will work in a 1:9.5 twist barrel. Also, the bullets will work all they way down to 1300 fps. Hopefully they don't have problems up close.

If you don't handload, they will also be offering the 175 gr bullet in the STW in the Trophy Grade line. They have them rated at 2900 fps.

Now, we just have to wait till they come out.

I wish everyone a Happy New Year:)

Attachments

• IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 13
I'll second that notion, but first I'd like a shot at that beast! Gooosebumps!!!

I took that photo on Baby Jesus Day near my Property in Colorado, Seen five mule deer before this one, 3 bucks and two does, and the bucks were bigger then the one in the photo.:D