7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I would try the simple answer first. Quit cleaning it. My 300 wsm will open up to 2" for about 15 shots after cleaning. Shoots .5" with a dirty barrel. It's strictly a hunting rig, so he don't get cleaned very often after that revelation. My buddy has 2 300 winnies that are the same way.

Is 50 BMG too slow for 160 Accubonds? I'm out of Retumbo and did not care much for it. Would H1000 be the next logical choice? Thanks in advance.

Kreiger says long, heavy bullets sometimes won't group at 100 yrds, and to try them at 300. I've heard this before, that some long heavy bullets will group 1-2" at 100 yrds and group 2" at 600 yrds. Has anyone personally seen this before? What is the technical term for this?

Been going through my 7STW stuff and found a box and half of WW Ballistic Silvertip factory loads. They came with an STW I got from a friend.

Any of you guys used these loads? What's the black coating on the bullets? Looks and feels like teflon........I'm concerned that it will foul my bbl. and be hard to remove. I don't do moly and have no desire to get into coated bullets.

Should I just pull the bullets and salvage the brass??

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

The Black stuff is called Lubalox, it's Winchester's proprietary coating that is supposed to reduce pressures and not foul the bbl.

I wouldn't think that 1, 20ct box would foul the barrel enough to cause issues.

I used to use moly coated bullets in all of my rifles and now I use them in only one of them. I realized that It wasn't worth the hassle.

I don't think it's a big deal, I'd just shoot them for practice and reload'em.

Dan

Thanks for the quick reply. I had checked the Win. ammo site concerning the coating, didn't really give much info, so thought I'd ask....

Jim

Gamehawker,

That's a good price for brass, is shipping free? I paid .72 but with 2000, they came drop shipped free, insured.

Let me know though, I will call my wholesaler and give him hell. But I'd like to know the net cost. You're and talking around .60 per case without shipping. That's the lowest I've ever seen. Someone bought a small lot last week I read at the same price, from Graf's so it's important to me as I will be buying again this year.

Is 50 BMG too slow for 160 Accubonds? I'm out of Retumbo and did not care much for it. Would H1000 be the next logical choice? Thanks in advance.

" Tank" , the 50 BMG is waaaay to slow even for the 160's. H1000 is a great choice, and probably is the best choice powder for 160 class bullets. Very accurate powder, and fast too. Just right!!!

E R Shaw Barrels?? I have been offered a 7mmSTW Barrel made by E R Shaw, it is a heavy varmint contour. has anyone ever used a E R Shaw Barrel? I personnal know nothing of them, except for their website that looks real good??

If the price is right , grab it. I have heard good things about them, but you know that there is a dog in every bush , though! Is it stainless or CM? Either way, if the price is right, go for it.

Gamehawker,

That's a good price for brass, is shipping free? I paid .72 but with 2000, they came drop shipped free, insured.

Let me know though, I will call my wholesaler and give him hell. But I'd like to know the net cost. You're and talking around .60 per case without shipping. That's the lowest I've ever seen. Someone bought a small lot last week I read at the same price, from Graf's so it's important to me as I will be buying again this year.

Yea, you tell um' Ed. That is very reasonable!! Someone in the reloading section was looking fir brass, I sent him over here, cause now, he must be a "Brother". HAA.

Kreiger says long, heavy bullets sometimes won't group at 100 yrds, and to try them at 300. I've heard this before, that some long heavy bullets will group 1-2" at 100 yrds and group 2" at 600 yrds. Has anyone personally seen this before? What is the technical term for this?

Yes, there is quite a bit of truth in that statement, and I can agree, in principal. Particularly if you are shooting 168 VLD, 180 VLD, etc. I have tons of targets that prove it as well. It never made sense to me until I saw some repeated shots on video, that you could actually see the " vapor trail". I noticed that as the bullet leaves the barrel, it " corkscrews", for about 130-140 yards. Then AFTER that, it settles down and more often then not, will group BETTER than what it does at 100. So, now, when I sight in a gun, I put it on the paper at 100' then move to the 200 to do my testing. In " our " world, that is where the bullet is on it's way, and is USUALLY stable at that point. I was told that Walt Berger, doesn't even care what the bullet is doing at 100', but more importtantly what is it doing AFTER 100 yards, and to be exact, more like 130-140 yards.
So, all of that being said, if you have access to a longer range, try doing some shooting at 200 or so. The only thing that needs to be considered when shooting at a longer distance, and particularly shooting for group size, I hope that your scope has adj. Parallax. Otherwise, you will lose what you gained in parallax issues. If you can not " dial out " parallax, the group that should be smaller, may be bigger due to movement. I hope I am not loosing you here. Take care, and don't give up, She'll come around, or you will figure it out. I think you may be on the right track now.

Recent Posts