7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

How can you tell the new ones from the old ones?

The older design was much longer, and has a huge polymer tip, versus the newer one, that has a abbreviated tip, and is much shorter. The BC on the older ones is actually HIGHER than a Berger 168. That being said, the jury is still out as far as if they shoot better or not. I shot some yesterday, and today, and so far, I can't get them to shoot as well as the newer ones. They shoot ok, but not as good. IMHO. At least in my gun.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. lightbulb :) 7 STW.

RANGE REPORT, 3-25-12. Well, I went to the range again today, and took chrono, and plenty of batteries. Most notable loads were, 80-rl22-140 TSX. Get this, average speed, 3411. ES 25' SD, 16. Very tight group at 100, ( cluster) and the group at 200 was just 1.09. The second " notable " was 76-RL22-162 A- Max, @ 3.702. Average was 3154. The SD was 20, ES was 45, most were relatively close, but one was way off, but it did not break up the groups. These grouped ok, but not as good as yesterday. I was blown away with the 140 speed, as that is as fast as some 7 RUM' s get. I had NO pressure signs, easy extraction, primers still rounded, and they resized easy this morning. I used these same cases yesterday. I shot the 140's just to see if yesterday's group was a fluke, it wasn't. I don't think that these older A- Maxes are as consistent as the newer ones. They don't seem to group as tight. The same applies to my sons 7 mag. He thought the same thing. Maybe that is why Hornady changed the design. Because of there length, it could be that they need a tighter twist to get them to stabilize. ??????. Any way, those are my " stats" for the day, and just to pass some info on to all of the Brotherhhood of the 7 STW.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, lightbulb :). 7 STW.

I wonder if the plastic tip degrades? I only say this as I've bought some tipped ammo before and I don't know whether it was cold out or not, but I dropped one and the tip hit the pavement and broke off as I remember it. It kinda made me wonder what the shelf life was.

Let's face it, if the tip of a copper bullet were cockeyed, the bullet would lose accuracy. I intend to point my bullets at some point. But I guess you don't have to with plastic tipped now do you!

I want to take a quick poll on those who have the 7mm STW.

How many of you have a muzzle brake to tame the kick on this caliber?

I think I want to put muzzle brakes on the two recently acquired Senderos that I have.

And, if you do have a muzzle brake, what kind and recommendation?

I'm thinking about the "CSR 3 Port Muscle Brake" for my Senderos.

Thanks!

No brake on my Sendero.I think it kicks less than my Rem. 700 CDL 300 Win. Mag and I don't have a brake on it either,but if one is recoil sensitive,I could see where a brake might help.

Don't have a muzzle brake. I have a mercury recoil suppressor in the stock. I know some say that they don't work, but after a buddy was able to tame a 300 dakota I took notice.

No brake on my Sako M995 (TRG-S). As a hunter, I would not use anything I need a brake to shoot. Too much hearing loss already. I have found that some guns in the same chambering kick much harder than others. Using 160 Gr bullets, I was pleasantly surprised to find the recoil of my 9.4 lb (with scope) Sako was not bad at all - similar to a 300 Win Mag, maybe a little gentler.

No brake on any of mine, and there probably will never be. WAY to much muzzle blast and noise. A few of my friends have them, and don't care for them, I can't imagine having to wear muffs while you are hunting. I suppose you can take them off when you hunt, but sometimes it changes POI. No thanks, I'll pass.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.:D 7 STW.

Guys, I think that I may have figured out why the ols style A Max did not shoot as well as the new ones. Like I said yesterday, the old style are much longer than the newer ones. I noticed tonite, that on the new boxes, it says, use in 8 twist or faster. The old style box does not have a twist recommendation on it, but I am thinking that the old style is twist sensitive, more so than the new ones. I has shot new ones very nicely. That may be one of the reasons that thet changed the design, so most factory twisted barrels would shoot them. Theses bullets were originally National match bullets, where custom twists are the norm, but the most widely excepted twist in MOST 7 mm barrels is 1-9 to 1-9.5 or so. Just my thoughts!!!!!!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL,lightbulb lightbulb 7 STW.

My first 7stw was magna-ported and was nice to tame recoil, but the noise was just too much and I refuse to carry hearing protection while hunting, my bag is full and plus in Alabama, you don't have time to put hearing protection on, you have to take quick shots, even when hunting big fields. These deer down here are pretty crafty.
I think it is great for target and special needs, other than that it is a waist of money. Please date me, don't quote me. I could change my mind when I get older, I am sure the recoil will be felt more later and I still will not be able to hear.:D
FE

I have a suggestion for you Fred. Walkers Game Ear. I'm in Louisiana and know what you mean about quick shots. I started using game ears to save what little hearing I have left and I really like them.