7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Hey Fred,

Thanks, for saying that. At the range, mine shot okay too. I do hear a lot of positive feedback on them. Most everyone swears by them. I am still going to try some as if they shoot well they certainly have the reputation of getting the job done on the other end.

My 27" barrel STW has no muzzle brake, and is fine if you have your shoulder behind it but I have been bit by the scope acouple of times out in the field when I've layed behind it at an awkward body angle, most times I can regain the sight picture and watch the animal fall.

I've had some tips fall off 160gn AB Noslers as well but they still work.

To you guys that are shooting 140gn bullets how does your load get on in the wind?
Bear, I have been shooting 140 CT's, and BT's in my first sendero since day one, back in 97.I have made some shots with that rifle that I don't even believe, and there was a little wind, but not enough that you would not shoot. I have never understood it myself, but those Noslers buck the wind pretty well, even though they are only 140 grain. Don't be afraid to shoot them, but a deer at long distance had better be! I have one that shoots, 140's, another that shoots 150's, and my Sako has a affinity for 160's. I am building another, that I don't know what it is going to shoot. Another thing about the 140's, they are easier on the shoulder!!!!!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL...lightbulb gun) 7 STW.

Hey.....Got a steal today,bought a VX2 3x9x50 Leupold for a buck fifty:D......any way ran home and put it on the STW,loaded my first series of ammo-77 gr of RL 22,Barnes 140's and 215M's.........100 yd,no wind......2 three sot groups .258 and .301.........needless to say....ButterBean much Happygun)

Hey.....Got a steal today,bought a VX2 3x9x50 Leupold for a buck fifty:D......any way ran home and put it on the STW,loaded my first series of ammo-77 gr of RL 22,Barnes 140's and 215M's.........100 yd,no wind......2 three sot groups .258 and .301.........needless to say....ButterBean much Happygun)

Good deal man, GREAT shooting! Now you know why people like me and obviously a lot of others are hooked on this cartridge. I truly never get tired of them, they always amaze me, and they flatten deer at almost any distance. Recoil IS manageable, even in a light gun. In a Sendero or equivalent, it is even more tolerable. Welcome to the Brotherhood, and a lifetime love affair with an awesome round! :)

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.gun) lightbulb 7 STW.

P/ S, that is an awesome load that you tried today. If there is a classic load for the STW, that is it. You probably have headroom for 1or 2 more grains, but if not, who cares with accuracy like that. ( the deer won't care for it none)!

Good deal man, GREAT shooting! Now you know why people like me and obviously a lot of others are hooked on this cartridge. I truly never get tired of them, they always amaze me, and they flatten deer at almost any distance. Recoil IS manageable, even in a light gun. In a Sendero or equivalent, it is even more tolerable. Welcome to the Brotherhood, and a lifetime love affair with an awesome round! :)

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.gun) lightbulb 7 STW.

P/ S, that is an awesome load that you tried today. If there is a classic load for the STW, that is it. You probably have headroom for 1or 2 more grains, but if not, who cares with accuracy like that. ( the deer won't care for it none)!
Thanks for the load info .......recoil was was really not bad at all,I've had Winchesters butnever the Laredo LRH......as good or better than my sendero so far.......I just cant believe firdt load shot so good.....was worried had to really shorten the seating deapth to get it in the mag.......guess it didnt matter........

Hope this works LRH 001.JPG

LRH 002.JPG

Thanks for the load info .......recoil was was really not bad at all,I've had Winchesters butnever the Laredo LRH......as good or better than my sendero so far.......I just cant believe firdt load shot so good.....was worried had to really shorten the seating deapth to get it in the mag.......guess it didnt matter........

Yea, that is probably the one and only " downfall", if there is one, and that is that they have a shorter mag . In the grand scheme of things, it probably not going to hurt you at all. One thing you are going to have to do, ( or I do anyway), is keep your brass separated. You may even want to pick up another set of dies, and "Tune" each set of dies to each gun. I have all of my dies slightly backed off, so I get a little shoulder bump. Once you find that sweet spot, it is set forever, but usually can not interchange with another gun. I have two rem.chambers, and one Sako. They are quite different from each other. Now I have another barrel,( which is awesome BTW) , so I will be picking up another set of dies soon. That Winchester is awesome dude! I'd own it!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL:) gun) 7 STW

When I first got my 7STW,I began trying different powders and bullets working up loads for it.I was getting great accuracy,but I was not getting the velocities I knew it was capable of.The guy I bought my 7STW from gave me a box of factory Winchester Power Point 150gr ammo,so just for the heck of it,I shot a round over the chronograph.It read 3450fps for that 150gr factory round!Now that's what I was hoping for.I pulled the bullet out of one of the factory rounds,weighed the powder,80.0grs.I did a little research and found Winchester was using WXR powder.I went down to the local gun shop and bought a pound to try it out to see if I could duplicate that load.It did.I use that load for my bullets 139-150grs.It's close to max load for the 150gr bullets in my rifle.I dropped down to 77.0grs for 154-160gr bullets,getting 3300fps with the 154gr and 3200fps with the 160gr.WXR is a discontinued powder.I bought quite a bit of it while I still could.From what I researched,it is the same powder as Reloader-22 and they were lots of Norma MRP that didn't meet the specs.I was only getting 15fps less velocity with Reloader-22 than I was getting from WXR and the powders grouped the same,so I guess it may be so.

Butter bean,
SWEET rig, that is a keeper if it shoots that good and the model 70 is a fine action. I dare to say that my m70's have a tad smoother action and a better trigger than my Rem. 700's and I like the 3 position safety better because it locks the bolt and blocks the firing pin.
You can't beat a Leupold at that price, to me, they are the best all around scope for the money, own ten and have had no problems in 25 years so far.:D
FE

Butter bean,
SWEET rig, that is a keeper if it shoots that good and the model 70 is a fine action. I dare to say that my m70's have a tad smoother action and a better trigger than my Rem. 700's and I like the 3 position safety better because it locks the bolt and blocks the firing pin.
You can't beat a Leupold at that price, to me, they are the best all around scope for the money, own ten and have had no problems in 25 years so far.:D
FE
Fred,I also like that you ncan take the bolt a part with no tools on the Winchester........Ive got a couple other brands of scopes and they are fine and I wouldnt be afraid to take them anywhere.........But they aint a leupold.......Thanks to you and 7STW for all the info

Butter bean,
The model 70 is probably the most under appreciated rifle since it got a bad rap when it changed things after 1964. Down here in the south, it is like a disease, no one wants them and they are scarce, but I happen to like them very well and my gunsmith likes them too. A friend of mine had a m70 express in 7stw and I liked it better than my Rem. 700, he was going to sell it to me, but it got stolen. I haven't seen one since.
There is a lot of good scopes out there now because they have to be good or no one will buy even one. A co-worker of mine has 3 Nikon Prostaff's and they are as clear as the Leupold's I own and were a good bit cheaper, I am just partial to the Leupold vari-x 2 and 3's with 50mm lens. I used to pick them up at gun shows a lot cheaper than new ones, but here recently, they are selling very well and you can't find any for sale much anymore at a bargain. You did very well with your buy, saw 2 a few weeks ago and they were asking 300 for them.
FE

Butter bean,
The model 70 is probably the most under appreciated rifle since it got a bad rap when it changed things after 1964. Down here in the south, it is like a disease, no one wants them and they are scarce, but I happen to like them very well and my gunsmith likes them too. A friend of mine had a m70 express in 7stw and I liked it better than my Rem. 700, he was going to sell it to me, but it got stolen. I haven't seen one since.
There is a lot of good scopes out there now because they have to be good or no one will buy even one. A co-worker of mine has 3 Nikon Prostaff's and they are as clear as the Leupold's I own and were a good bit cheaper, I am just partial to the Leupold vari-x 2 and 3's with 50mm lens. I used to pick them up at gun shows a lot cheaper than new ones, but here recently, they are selling very well and you can't find any for sale much anymore at a bargain. You did very well with your buy, saw 2 a few weeks ago and they were asking 300 for them.
FE
Fred I know what your saying.....I was told the scope was a vari x 2 got my hands on it and it was a vx 2........Fred I have two vari x 3 4.5x14x50's and i know this dont sound right but i swear the vari x and vx 2 3x9x50's draw light better........ maybe its just me

Fred I know what your saying.....I was told the scope was a vari x 2 got my hands on it and it was a vx 2........Fred I have two vari x 3 4.5x14x50's and i know this dont sound right but i swear the vari x and vx 2 3x9x50's draw light better........ maybe its just me
As for the model 70 I agree with you but I like them all........I've got Rems but Im also a big Ruger Mk2 target series fan( I love the take up target trigger on that model)

Bear, I have been shooting 140 CT's, and BT's in my first sendero since day one, back in 97.I have made some shots with that rifle that I don't even believe, and there was a little wind, but not enough that you would not shoot. I have never understood it myself, but those Noslers buck the wind pretty well, even though they are only 140 grain. Don't be afraid to shoot them, but a deer at long distance had better be! I have one that shoots, 140's, another that shoots 150's, and my Sako has a affinity for 160's. I am building another, that I don't know what it is going to shoot. Another thing about the 140's, they are easier on the shoulder!!!!!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL...lightbulb gun) 7 STW.
Thanks for the response, I had some 140gn Noslers ABs going out at 3240 fps in my old 7mm rem mag which killed well but didn't handle the wind very well even at 400yds. In my experience accuracy is #1 but it must be backed by a good B.C. to buck the wind down range which in return will deliver higher energy to the animal. 160gn - 180gn bullets are the better bet in 7mm STW in my mind.

Can't believe the reponses to 7mm STW Brotherhood, it appears that the 7mm STW is alive and well and will be for quite some time.

Recent Posts