7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Has anyone tried the 143 gr Hammer Hunters with H-1000? (Finally found a couple of lb cans the other day) Steve suggested I start with 81 grs as a starting point. My gun is a factory Remington 700 S/S with quite a bit of engraving on it, came from Remington that way, with a muzzle brake. Love to shoot it. It shoots the Hornady 162 gr ELD X pretty respectfully.
I had trouble getting the 143 to shoot in one of mine which has a 8.7 tw Bart. Velocity was low and groups weren't great. Tried different seating depths and powders. Tried the same load in a different gun with an 8 tw Brux and more FB and they shot 1/4 MOA at 200. Not sure if the first gun just doesn't like the bullet, or if it was a stability, or FB issue, but maybe a 131 HH would work better in a factory chambered barrel?

I had trouble getting the 143 to shoot in one of mine which has a 8.7 tw Bart. Velocity was low and groups weren't great. Tried different seating depths and powders. Tried the same load in a different gun with an 8 tw Brux and more FB and they shot 1/4 MOA at 200. Not sure if the first gun just doesn't like the bullet, or if it was a stability, or FB issue, but maybe a 131 HH would work better in a factory chambered barrel?
I'm not sure, but I think my 700 has a 9 twist. I have not checked it, that's what various twist charts list. What's the best method to check it?
Thank You for the input.

I'm not sure, but I think my 700 has a 9 twist. I have not checked it, that's what various twist charts list. What's the best method to check it?
Thank You for the input.
Put a mark on your cleaning rod, push a patch through until the rod does a full rotation and then mark again, and measure the distance between the 2 marks. You might need to do it a few times to make sure you get the same number, sometimes it doesn't follow the rifling just right

My rifle started life as a 7RM, I re-chambered it after doing the blueprinting and truing. It also has a 264WM barrel on the same action.
The standard twist for the 7RM is 9.25", so it's gonna be either a straight 9", even though I am yet to find any rifles offered in 7mm with that twist, all have a 9.25" twist in the literature I can find.

Cheers.

My rifle started life as a 7RM, I re-chambered it after doing the blueprinting and truing. It also has a 264WM barrel on the same action.
The standard twist for the 7RM is 9.25", so it's gonna be either a straight 9", even though I am yet to find any rifles offered in 7mm with that twist, all have a 9.25" twist in the literature I can find.

Cheers.
You've done the work on the action , now you just need a new barrel.

I assume you're 264WM is on a separate action , not some sort of switch barrel.

You've done the work on the action , now you just need a new barrel.

I assume you're 264WM is on a separate action , not some sort of switch barrel.
No, it's a switch barrel, as are most of my rifles. The beauty is that having a thick .250" pinned recoil lug, I can utilise the factory barrel if the threads need minimal work by adjusting the tenon length to suit the thickness of the lug.

Cheers.

Whose running 8133 with 160 accubonds? I have the hodgdon update (which echos the load data on hodgdons website) but it seems pretty hot on the top end when I look at powders that I'm familiar with.
Where are you guys starting with this powder?

Attachments

• 20211005_193734.jpg
    20211005_193734.jpg
    892 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211005_193723.jpg
    20211005_193723.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Whose running 8133 with 160 accubonds? I have the hodgdon update (which echos the load data on hodgdons website) but it seems pretty hot on the top end when I look at powders that I'm familiar with.
Where are you guys starting with this powder?
Haven't ran it in my 7 STW but did work up a load in my 300 PRC with 220 ELDx had all kinds of pressure issues. When it gets close to maximum 1/10th of a grain took it from no pressure signs to flattened primer and bulge at the base no early warning signs

H50bmg and 175 partitions, 215 match primer at 3.666 coal in 8mm rm brass. 84-86.5 grain ladder for testing. I typically shoot 86 grains at 3k fps at sea level but I wanted to run a ladder in the mountains this weekend.
I know 71.7 grains of 7828 behind a 175 eldx goes into the 3k fps but I want a partition or accubond bonded for this season. I was not impressed with the eldx last year.