7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

The really scary part is that 5 of 12 people found the review helpful.
Shows the lack of mental capacity in the world today. Also, shows how many moron newbies are now reloading for the 7mm STW thinking they're gonna get 4000 fps...

Just imagine how many idiots are out there now playing with gunpowder, since all the SHTF stuff has been going on... Scary stuff man.

Shows the lack of mental capacity in the world today. Also, shows how many moron newbies are now reloading for the 7mm STW thinking they're gonna get 4000 fps...

Just imagine how many idiots are out there now playing with gunpowder, since all the SHTF stuff has been going on... Scary stuff man.

Natural selection dude!!!!
If they bow up, one less moron!!! HahahHh

Thanks, y'all.

I just drove through Farwell, BTW!

This is the second Model 70 in my family. The first is a .270 W. C. F. -- at least that's what it was called in 1949. It was my dad's rifle and it's taken more deer than the law allows. Literally!

I went ahead and bought that Weaver Grand Slam scope. If it doesn't work out, I can replace it easily enough, and my mother's .270 Mauser needs a new scope anyway.

Still waiting on paperwork over at the LGS. Getting anxious.

I'm thinking I might just settle on 160-grain bullets for everything. It's too late to get on an elk hunt this year, so I have time to figure out how to load for this rifle. The brass sure seems to dwarf the 7mm Rem Mag, does that mean an incredible amount of recoil?
The recoil is significantly higher than the 7 Rem but totally tolerable especially if you put a decent muzzle brake on.

There are lots of arguments made about not using MB's and none of them trump the value in being able to see your impacts from 100yds on out as far as I'm concerned. The Snowy Mountain Rifles MB is my favorite although I'm fixing to have several Norwest Precision MB's installed on some of my rifles. They are very similarly designed and you can't beat the price of the Northwest Precision LLC brakes.

Thanks, y'all.

I just drove through Farwell, BTW!

This is the second Model 70 in my family. The first is a .270 W. C. F. -- at least that's what it was called in 1949. It was my dad's rifle and it's taken more deer than the law allows. Literally!

I went ahead and bought that Weaver Grand Slam scope. If it doesn't work out, I can replace it easily enough, and my mother's .270 Mauser needs a new scope anyway.

Still waiting on paperwork over at the LGS. Getting anxious.

I'm thinking I might just settle on 160-grain bullets for everything. It's too late to get on an elk hunt this year, so I have time to figure out how to load for this rifle. The brass sure seems to dwarf the 7mm Rem Mag, does that mean an incredible amount of recoil?

I am on my 2nd STW (neither had brakes) and I have found the recoil to be surprisingly mild. On the other hand, I had a 7mm RM that wasn't much fun to shoot. I 'm not particularly recoil sensitive but all things being equal, I find the 338 win mag w/250 gr bullets to be the limit of what I call fun.

I believe the stock design has alot to do with "felt" recoil. My first STW was a Sako M995 in their factory synthetic stock and my current one is a semi-custom with a Rem action in a B&C medalist stock. It is much lighter than the Sako but felt recoil is definitely less. The 7mm RM had a beautiful european style walnut stock.

Because I don't hunt with ear protection I will not use a rifle with a brake. Have lost too much hearing already.

The recoil is significantly higher than the 7 Rem but totally tolerable especially if you put a decent muzzle brake on.

There are lots of arguments made about not using MB's and none of them trump the value in being able to see your impacts from 100yds on out as far as I'm concerned. The Snowy Mountain Rifles MB is my favorite although I'm fixing to have several Norwest Precision MB's installed on some of my rifles. They are very similarly designed and you can't beat the price of the Northwest Precision LLC brakes.
I've shot big magnums for so long, that I have no issues seeing my impacts without using muzzle brakes. When you find a good brake, they work great, but for someone who's not recoil sensative (like me), they're not a "must have" item.

I am on my 2nd STW (neither had brakes) and I have found the recoil to be surprisingly mild. On the other hand, I had a 7mm RM that wasn't much fun to shoot. I 'm not particularly recoil sensitive but all things being equal, I find the 338 win mag w/250 gr bullets to be the limit of what I call fun.

I believe the stock design has alot to do with "felt" recoil. My first STW was a Sako M995 in their factory synthetic stock and my current one is a semi-custom with a Rem action in a B&C medalist stock. It is much lighter than the Sako but felt recoil is definitely less. The 7mm RM had a beautiful european style walnut stock.

Because I don't hunt with ear protection I will not use a rifle with a brake. Have lost too much hearing already.
I still have one of those... It doesn't bother me, but all my buddies hate the **** thing. It weighs in around 6.5 lbs with the scope I have on it, and I shoot 160-168gr bullets out of it. Accurate as can be, but don't weight nothing. Perfect for backpacking or hiking or stalk-hunting deer (which is what I use it for). :D

And it looks just like this... Anybody remember these? I've got 2 of them...A 7mm-08 & 7mm RemMag.

ruger7mm-1.JPG

Picture provided by Google.

I also had a .338 WinMag with some 210gr bullets that I didn't find particularly fun either. And I'm like you, and am not recoil sensative. But lightweight rifles with big bullets is not my favorite thing to shoot all day at the range, although I do that very thing, almost every weekend. LOL

I hated that .338, but not because of the recoil, but because I couldn't get it to shoot any of the ammo the dude gave me, that I bought it from. So, after 39 rounds (what I was given), I gave up and unscrewed the barrel and turned it into another 7mm RemMag.

I've been lookijng for a Model 70 in .30-06, intending to make a Carlos Hathcock - style rifle, but yesterday, this particular Model 70 suckered me in. I bought a Clasic Sporter in STW, and it's in the back of the store waiting on the paperwork. Looks NEW! Even the checkering feels sharp.

<snip>

Now I have to buy a scope... looking at the one at Weaver Grand Slam Rifle Scope 4.5-14x 40mm Adjustable Objective

Well -- I went to the LGS and held my new baby today. Took the scope mentioned above and went ahead and mounted it. Still waiting on the FFL, though -- the BATF messed up the address or something and they're being kinda slow about fixing it. I should have the baby home next week sometime.

Clovis

Let us know about the Weaver scope. I have not been able to find one around me to look at.

Would like to see some pics too once you get it. Hope they get everything taken care of soon, it sounds like your are itching to get it home.

Bill

I sure am! I had hoped to take her to the range tomorrow, but that didn't work out.

The top of the elevation turret doesn't seem to be "square" with the horizontal line of the crosshair. In other words, when the level placed on the top turret is centered (level), and the level on the rifle is centered (level), the crosshair seems to be canted just the smallest amount to the right. I'll keep the scope, because it isn't very much, and it would be a PITA to return it, but I'm withholding a score until I've shot it a bit.

As Dano says many are using the Vortex scopes and loving them. I just got a 6-20 grand slam for my 7rum and am liking it a lot, but I don't dial. I have an 8-32x Bushnell elite 4200 on my 7stw.
One scope I'd buy today if I needed another is the 4.5-14 grand slam by weaver... Midway has a heck of a deal on them at present.

Weaver Grand Slam Rifle Scope 4.5-14x 40mm Adjustable Objective

Wow, that good price didn't last long! I bought for a total cost of $232.01, today that scope is listed for $399.99.

I just got my Dvor email, and they have it for $350.00.

Glad I moved quick. Still waiting to shoot it, though.