7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

the diffrence between the 2 are the barrel lengths
one is a 26 inch the other (more expensive one ) is a 24 inch with about a inch and a half muzzle brake
built into the barrel the barrel profiles are the same on both...
the more monie one has a serial number starting with RR must mean reduced recoil???

7stw002_zps464b042e.jpg

I have the std SPS version. Admittedly I'm not a gun guy but the process to get this gun to shoot has been "an experience". I sent the first one back after 50 shots. ONE shot down the tube took 2 hours to get the copper out. That process included montana copper killer, montana copper paste?, cr10, and the less abrasive tubbs cleaner. It took forever. Remington told me it was missing some of it's rifling....

The new gun (they replaced everything but the stock) has about 250 shots down it now. It shoots one load under 1 minute. Everything else is 2" plus. That load is 73gr rl25 and a 180 berger, .025 off the lands. I tried nosler and barnes. I tried all the seat depths and powders; they all shot like crap. One big thing was 7STW's suggestion to get some pressure back under the end of the barrel. This gun is bedded in a GreyBull stock but the pencil barrel does not like being free floated. I reload and measure every round; case base to shoulder, overall ogive length, bullet seat depth, and the powder is within one kernel.
I also stopped cleaning the gun. Every range trip was with a clean gun. I now know this gun needs about 10 shots to settle it down. Had I known that, or payed attention when told to quit cleaning, I may have figured things out earlier.

I bought the gun as a "base" to build from and as I posted up a cpl pages back, may keep it as it is. This one load shoots better than 1 minute and usually shoot 3 of 4 at 1/2 minute, one of the 4 will blow the group to 1 minute.

If I was doing it again, I would buy a Sendero. I don't recall seeing even one of those getting a bad rap on this thread.
A guy could certainly do as I did and get the SPS but I would do it with the understanding that it's a base to build from and if it turns out to be a shooter you're money ahead.

I have the std SPS version. Admittedly I'm not a gun guy but the process to get this gun to shoot has been "an experience". I sent the first one back after 50 shots. ONE shot down the tube took 2 hours to get the copper out. That process included montana copper killer, montana copper paste?, cr10, and the less abrasive tubbs cleaner. It took forever. Remington told me it was missing some of it's rifling....

The new gun (they replaced everything but the stock) has about 250 shots down it now. It shoots one load under 1 minute. Everything else is 2" plus. That load is 73gr rl25 and a 180 berger, .025 off the lands. I tried nosler and barnes. I tried all the seat depths and powders; they all shot like crap. One big thing was 7STW's suggestion to get some pressure back under the end of the barrel. This gun is bedded in a GreyBull stock but the pencil barrel does not like being free floated. I reload and measure every round; case base to shoulder, overall ogive length, bullet seat depth, and the powder is within one kernel.
I also stopped cleaning the gun. Every range trip was with a clean gun. I now know this gun needs about 10 shots to settle it down. Had I known that, or payed attention when told to quit cleaning, I may have figured things out earlier.

I bought the gun as a "base" to build from and as I posted up a cpl pages back, may keep it as it is. This one load shoots better than 1 minute and usually shoot 3 of 4 at 1/2 minute, one of the 4 will blow the group to 1 minute.

If I was doing it again, I would buy a Sendero. I don't recall seeing even one of those getting a bad rap on this thread.
A guy could certainly do as I did and get the SPS but I would do it with the understanding that it's a base to build from and if it turns out to be a shooter you're money ahead.

Sorry about your troubles with your 7mm STW SPS and I glad it is somewhat working for you now. I appreciate your honest candor.

I was going to go the 7mm SPS route about 1 1/2 year ago but I decided to wait until I found a 7mm STW Sendero SF. Luckily I found and bought two barely used Senderos (at a great price) less than 2 months later. :)

I found out what I needed to know. The price sounded good but here is where you get what you pay for. I'd be better off looking for a used sendero or save some money and have one built.

There is no hurry, because right now I'd play hell finding components to shoot it.

I found out what I needed to know. The price sounded good but here is where you get what you pay for. I'd be better off looking for a used sendero or save some money and have one built.

There is no hurry, because right now I'd play hell finding components to shoot it.

Md, hey bro, Elevendysixty has a BEAUTIFUL M70 classic for sale,( unless he sold it already). And I'd bet my paycheck it will shoot too. It is a " pre 64 type", and it looks to have a 26 in barrel. For what it's worth, someone here recently bought one of the SPS 7 STW's, and his shoots very well, I'm told. Maybe they stopped using a chisel plow to rifle the barrel.
Wapitibob had a nitemare with his since day one. I felt sorry for him every time he reached out for some help, and believe me, he needed it. That thing put him through the ringer. As far as components, you find yourself a gun, someone here will help you out. There's lots of options. Take care!lightbulb

PS, FWIW, there was one of RedHawks rifles on gun broker last week. This was not one of his full customs, it was a SPS, that I think he tuned up , and put another stock on it. ( BC medalist, Alaskan style).

Md, hey bro, Elevendysixty has a BEAUTIFUL M70 classic for sale,( unless he sold it already). And I'd bet my paycheck it will shoot too. It is a " pre 64 type", and it looks to have a 26 in barrel. For what it's worth, someone here recently bought one of the SPS 7 STW's, and his shoots very well, I'm told. Maybe they stopped using a chisel plow to rifle the barrel.
Wapitibob had a nitemare with his since day one. I felt sorry for him every time he reached out for some help, and believe me, he needed it. That thing put him through the ringer. As far as components, you find yourself a gun, someone here will help you out. There's lots of options. Take care!lightbulb
Thanx, 7STW, I've had some good replies here.

I see you were from Salisbury. A guy a hunt with used to be the police chief of that town.

PS, FWIW, there was one of RedHawks rifles on gun broker last week. This was not one of his full customs, it was a SPS, that I think he tuned up , and put another stock on it. ( BC medalist, Alaskan style).

Bob,

I saw that rifle and was watching it too. It looked really nice!

Here's the Ended Auction. It sold for $1,525.

Custom REM 700 7mm STW Vortex Talley : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Or is this the rifle that you were talking about"

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333985605

Hey guys, With powder being so hard to get these days, I decided to clean house and sell the stuff I don't use. All the following powders were purchased in the last year or so and are in the original un-opened containers.

Alliant RL 19 - 1 lb
Alliant RL 22 - 2 lbs
Hodgdon BLC-2 - 1 lb
Hodgdon H414 - 1 lb
IMR 4320 - 1 lb
IMR 4350 - 1 lb
IMR 4831 - 1 lb
IMR 7828 - 1 lb
VihtaVuori N150 - 2 lbs

PM me if interested

Bob

Thanx, 7STW, I've had some good replies here.

I see you were from Salisbury. A guy a hunt with used to be the police chief of that town.

Yup, I'm a good old eastern shore boy, transplanted in this Fu$&@ed up state. ( mass). I go home twice or three times year , and almost every time I go, whether I am hunting or not, I ALWAYS see deer. My family are all in the grain business, and deer are abundant. Sometimes, I even participate in a little " crop damage" in the summer. And then there's Ocean City!!! Need I say more!