7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I have been monitoring and contributing to this post for quite some time. I see way too much concern, IMHO, about velocity. What we really need is accuracy. I used to shoot a lot of 1000 & 600 yard bench rest. I used a 6.5/284 Norma shooting a 142 gr. Sierra Match King @ 2850 fps. This load was supersonic well past 1000 yards. Accuracy was always sub. 1 MOA, usually much better if I was having a good day.

Anyway loading until you are blowing primer pockets, just does not compute to me ? The 7 STW has proven to be an extremely accurate cartridge for me. My goal is to get the most accurate load with a hunting bullet, shooting as few rounds as possible. A good barrel only has so many shots in it. I want to use this cartridge shooting big game. I have a lot of rifles that are way easier on barrels than my 7 STW.
Kreiger barrels are getting pretty hard to come by. 3100 fps with a 160 gr. Accubond is enough to make
real happy, especially when it is shooting 1/4 MOA at 400 yards.
I agree 100 percent .....I find the most accuracy then i get the numbers ad do my tables from there whateve4r the number is

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I think I'm going tomorrow morning. I'm still new to this, I've just been using my chrono for velocity numbers if too high and I look for if my bolt is hard to raise. Also I look at the primers to see if they are flatten.

What other kind of pressure signs should I look for?

Is there any type of gauge available to read the pressure?

Thanks!
pressure trace wasn't bad years ago when my brother in law and I were using it. A side benny is you can do your measurements and hide the guage under the stock area on a sendero type rifle, with just the connector sticking out for the world to see. I think he paid a couple of franklins for the set-up and $25 or so a guage, but it's been years since I've played with the stuff.

As to rl powder, I use both 22 and 25 and really don't notice huge changes with either, with 50-80 fps from 0 to 100 being the norm. H isn't a heck of a lot better, but I really don't swing that way very much(the H way), so I have limited H data.

I have been monitoring and contributing to this post for quite some time. I see way too much concern, IMHO, about velocity. What we really need is accuracy. I used to shoot a lot of 1000 & 600 yard bench rest. I used a 6.5/284 Norma shooting a 142 gr. Sierra Match King @ 2850 fps. This load was supersonic well past 1000 yards. Accuracy was always sub. 1 MOA, usually much better if I was having a good day.

Anyway loading until you are blowing primer pockets, just does not compute to me ? The 7 STW has proven to be an extremely accurate cartridge for me. My goal is to get the most accurate load with a hunting bullet, shooting as few rounds as possible. A good barrel only has so many shots in it. I want to use this cartridge shooting big game. I have a lot of rifles that are way easier on barrels than my 7 STW.
Kreiger barrels are getting pretty hard to come by. 3100 fps with a 160 gr. Accubond is enough to make
real happy, especially when it is shooting 1/4 MOA at 400 yards.

+1

The 7stw really doesn't have to be run that dang hard to do well. I've seen rather light loads out of my dad's rifle do 600-700 yard kills off-hand off of one knee. My big 7's are usually close to the top, but not red-line. You are simply throwing $ away on bore life, brass cost, etc. for a few fps. There are a few people quoting 600 round barrel life from 7 stw's on the site; what the heck are they doing to their rifle to get that short of useful life from their rifle??

Well, I got the lh 7stw out today and tried to make it puke. I couldn't get it to toss over a 1.5" 100 yard group, even hot as he!!. I think we have a winner with a simple pillar bed job. I've still got to get the rifle to 200 yards on another day to prove it. The rifle seemed to "ring" a bit differently with the pillars in, so I may have to play with the loads to realize group size gains with it.

LOAD INFO RETRACTION________RANGE REPORT TOO!!!!

Hey guys, I wanted to retract some info on the load I shot last Sunday. I stated I was shooting 81.8-RL25-150 BT. Well, as it turns out, that was my 140 formula, but the data for the 150 BT, was 81.0-rl25 , and a 215 GM fed. I would think that 81.8 behind a 150 would be a little stout.
I returned to the range today, although, weather conditions were a little warmer than I liked. The Sharpshooter really likes 79.3 -RL22-140 TSX @ 3.688. I think I'm boing to leave that load alone, and make it the standard load for that gun.
Additionally, I shot the 150 BT's again, with RL 25, and also, 78.5 grains of 7828ssc. I did not chrono anything, as I only had a short window of time this morning, but the accuracy at 200 yards with the 7828ssc load was better. ( about .780 ).
Well, I also tried some 140 TTSX bullets in the custom rifle, ahead of 82.2 grains of RL 25. This was just a trial load. I fired two at 100, which were practically in the same hole. Then I fired the remaining three at 200. The first two, were married, and the third on fell inside a inch @ 200 yards. No pressure signs from ANY of these loads. Has anybody taken game with the TTSX bullets? Anyway, just a little info, and update.
Take care to all.

Well, I got the lh 7stw out today and tried to make it puke. I couldn't get it to toss over a 1.5" 100 yard group, even hot as he!!. I think we have a winner with a simple pillar bed job. I've still got to get the rifle to 200 yards on another day to prove it. The rifle seemed to "ring" a bit differently with the pillars in, so I may have to play with the loads to realize group size gains with it.

Well, that sounds better than what you were going through awhile ago. I know what you mean about the different resonate ring that the gun gets after a bedding job. That should take care of the action screws backing out. Now that you have the pillars on, I am told that a torque setting of between 35-40 inch pounds is the best. I run all of mine at 35 . I check them frequently, as I have a inch pound torque wrench in my range box. Just make sure you have adequate clearance around both action screws.

Well, that sounds better than what you were going through awhile ago. I know what you mean about the different resonate ring that the gun gets after a bedding job. That should take care of the action screws backing out. Now that you have the pillars on, I am told that a torque setting of between 35-40 inch pounds is the best. I run all of mine at 35 . I check them frequently, as I have a inch pound torque wrench in my range box. Just make sure you have adequate clearance around both action screws.

Wow Bob,

On my Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STWs that have a skim bedded and pillared Synthetic stock I have my action screws torqued at about 62 pounds and that torque level seems to work best with them.

On my Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum that has a bedded laminated stock but without pillars I have my action screws torqued at 40 pounds and that torque level seems to work best with that rifle.

I followed the torque guidelines of a previous post from LRH.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/torque-recomendations-29756/

Wow Bob,

On my Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STWs that have a skim bedded and pillared Synthetic stock I have my action screws torqued at about 62 pounds and that torque level seems to work best with them.

On my Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum that has a bedded laminated stock but without pillars I have my action screws torqued at 40 pounds and that torque level seems to work best with that rifle.

I followed the torque guidelines of a previous post from LRH.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/torque-recomendations-29756/

You know, depending on who you talk to, the answer seems to vary. I do know that when the stock is wood, the recommendation from ( Remington ) is 35 inch pounds.
If you talc to someone from HS precision, they tell you 48 inch pounds. At one time, I talked to a tec at HS, and he told me, 45 in the front, and 35 in the rear. I personally use 40 on my HS stocks, and 35 for the wood stocks, but if it is PILLAR bedded, I am told you can go to 40. Go figure!!
The same goes for torque specs on scope bases and rings. I read somewhere that the spec for the base screws were to be at 60 inch pounds. I would think that 60 would either stretch or snap them.
Where did you hear the torque spec was 60 inch pounds on your Senderos? Just curious. I am sure, however that you will not damage those anyway. That bedding block also incorporates pillars too, so it is very strong. And that much torque will not break a 1/4-28 bolt anyhow. I think that the variance is because of the base material the stock is made from. ( synthetic versus wood)
On another subject, I chronoed some STW loads this morning using RL25. I will post the results later. The results were very favorable towards the rl25. The ES/ SD was very low, and more accurate to, as compared to 7828. Have a great day, and will post again later.

Here is my 7STW, Ruger #1B with a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10X40 TMR. My current load is 160gr Accubond, 81.0gr's of VVN570, WLRM primer & R-P brass. I'm getting around 3100fps and 1.5"- 2" groups @ my 250 meter zero. I just started working up a load with 175gr Sierra GK's with VVN570 and am getting a surprising 3170 to 3220fps. Shooting at 100yds. my groups have varied from 1.5" to 2.25" but their POI are real close together and I show no signs of pressure but that is 100+ fps faster than I expected. I think I may have something to work with though.:D

Attachments

• 7STW Ruger #1B.jpg
    7STW Ruger #1B.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 10
RANGE REPORT WITH CHRONO SPEEDS

Well guys, I have some RL25 info that proved to be quite interesting. I have been experimenting with two bullets. The 150 BT, and the 140 TTSX. I made up a few rounds of each using RL 25, and 7828. ( I am temporarily out of rl22 ). With the RL 25, my load for 140 grain bullet was 82 grain, and the 150 bullet was 81 grains. Velocity ave. for the 140 bullet was 3364, and for the 150, was 3252.

For the 7828, the 140 charge was 79.5, and the 150 bullet was 79.5. Velocity for the 140 was at 3374, and for the 150, it was 3226.

Relative velocities where close, but the SD, ES, and overall accuracy went to the RL 25. The ES was 12, and the SD was 6. For the 150' it was ES 21' SD 13.

For the 7828, the 140 was 48' SD of 25. For the 150, it was 38 ES, SD was 28.

What I took from it all was the ES and SD was overall much better. Load density very good, and overall quite accurate. The 140 group was .422, and the 150 group was at .457.
Speed wise, I feel like I have headroom to add a little powder, but I think I am going to leave them alone. Both of those speeds are more than adequate. I have ordered a box of Barnes LRX bullets, in the 145 weight. That bullet, I believe is the perfect bullet for my set up, and the best of booths worlds, awesome BC, and sectional density. I really have a newfound faith in these mono bullets. Fouling has been a non- issue.
Hope this info is off use to someone.
My next investment is a chrono with a printer.:D

Here is my 7STW, Ruger #1B with a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10X40 TMR. My current load is 160gr Accubond, 81.0gr's of VVN570, WLRM primer & R-P brass. I'm getting around 3100fps and 1.5"- 2" groups @ my 250 meter zero. I just started working up a load with 175gr Sierra GK's with VVN570 and am getting a surprising 3170 to 3220fps. Shooting at 100yds. my groups have varied from 1.5" to 2.25" but their POI are real close together and I show no signs of pressure but that is 100+ fps faster than I expected. I think I may have something to work with though.:D

Beautiful Set-up!

RANGE REPORT WITH CHRONO SPEEDS

Well guys, I have some RL25 info that proved to be quite interesting. I have been experimenting with two bullets. The 150 BT, and the 140 TTSX. I made up a few rounds of each using RL 25, and 7828. ( I am temporarily out of rl22 ). With the RL 25, my load for 140 grain bullet was 82 grain, and the 150 bullet was 81 grains. Velocity ave. for the 140 bullet was 3364, and for the 150, was 3252.

For the 7828, the 140 charge was 79.5, and the 150 bullet was 79.5. Velocity for the 140 was at 3374, and for the 150, it was 3226.

Relative velocities where close, but the SD, ES, and overall accuracy went to the RL 25. The ES was 12, and the SD was 6. For the 150' it was ES 21' SD 13.

For the 7828, the 140 was 48' SD of 25. For the 150, it was 38 ES, SD was 28.

What I took from it all was the ES and SD was overall much better. Load density very good, and overall quite accurate. The 140 group was .422, and the 150 group was at .457.
Speed wise, I feel like I have headroom to add a little powder, but I think I am going to leave them alone. Both of those speeds are more than adequate. I have ordered a box of Barnes LRX bullets, in the 145 weight. That bullet, I believe is the perfect bullet for my set up, and the best of booths worlds, awesome BC, and sectional density. I really have a newfound faith in these mono bullets. Fouling has been a non- issue.
Hope this info is off use to someone.
My next investment is a chrono with a printer.:D

Bob,

Thanks for the updated range report with chrono speeds.

I think you are going to have a good time with those loads during this deer hunting season! :D

Recent Posts