7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

ANOTHER RANGE REPORT***
Hey guys, finally was able to get some range time this weekend with the Sharpshooter, and my new build that I had put together in the spring.
Well, the Sharpshooter has shown me that it likes 140 class bullets, and today was basically a review, using another bullet which is the 140 Partition. I have been very happy with the TSX, but I had a few , and thought I would give them a try,as I have not shot them in this rifle. ( until now). Well, long story short, I may give them a whirl in November. My standard load for 140 weight is 79.3-rl22, and a 215 primer @ 3.624 in the Winchester. Well, I got three back to back sub half inch groups. I also shot the TSX load as well, and it shot awesome as well.
So, onto the Custom gun. I have been experimenting with 154 spire points, and RL25 with promising results, but the weather got too hot, so I held off until today, when time availed, and temps cooler. Temp was about 55. Load was 81.8-RL25-150 BT, 215 GM, and once fired federal premium brass. Well, shot the same target twice, with three shot groups,and you can barely see the third hole from the first group. range was 100 yards. It is basically a ragged hole SIX SHOT GROUP. Pix may follow, with a little help from another brother. OAL was 3.688. Sorry for the long read, as it's been a while since I was able to shoot, due to weather, or work. But I was rather happy with the results, and wanted to pass along the info. Just another reminder of why we love this caliber. Take care to all.

Sounds like some Awesome Shooting!

I can't wait to see the pics! :)

Heres 7STW's latest group .........Awesome shooting Brother

Attachments

• 150 BTs.jpg
    150 BTs.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 14
Heres 7STW's latest group .........Awesome shooting Brother

I haven't really shot this thing much since I got it, cause the weather got hot shortly after I received it. I did do a little shooting with the 154 Hornady, and was optimistic on it, and knowing I would fine tune it in the fall.
I have some 150 BT's that I have for my sons 7 mag, and I thought I would try a few. The picture is worth a thousand words, ( at least to me). That is a honest 6 shots. To be honest, the other groups that occupied the remaining bulls eyes on this five spot archery target are very good, and entirely acceptable, but this group just well, speaks for it self. ( I think I may revisit that load again!!!!)

P/S, SPECIAL THANKS TO MY PARTNER IN CRIME, BUTTERBEAN. I AM ADMITTEDLY TECHNICALLY CHALLENGED, AND HE PICKED UP MY SLACK. THANKS BRO'.

ANOTHER RANGE REPORT***
Hey guys, finally was able to get some range time this weekend with the Sharpshooter, and my new build that I had put together in the spring.
Well, the Sharpshooter has shown me that it likes 140 class bullets, and today was basically a review, using another bullet which is the 140 Partition. I have been very happy with the TSX, but I had a few , and thought I would give them a try,as I have not shot them in this rifle. ( until now). Well, long story short, I may give them a whirl in November. My standard load for 140 weight is 79.3-rl22, and a 215 primer @ 3.624 in the Winchester. Well, I got three back to back sub half inch groups. I also shot the TSX load as well, and it shot awesome as well.
So, onto the Custom gun. I have been experimenting with 154 spire points, and RL25 with promising results, but the weather got too hot, so I held off until today, when time availed, and temps cooler. Temp was about 55. Load was 81.8-RL25-150 BT, 215 GM, and once fired federal premium brass. Well, shot the same target twice, with three shot groups,and you can barely see the third hole from the first group. range was 100 yards. It is basically a ragged hole SIX SHOT GROUP. Pix may follow, with a little help from another brother. OAL was 3.688. Sorry for the long read, as it's been a while since I was able to shoot, due to weather, or work. But I was rather happy with the results, and wanted to pass along the info. Just another reminder of why we love this caliber. Take care to all.

Hey Bob,

Did you chrono this extremely accurate load? I would like to know the velocity of the load.

Thanks,
Tim

Gamehawker, no, I did not chrono that load. But in my best estimate, I'd say that is is in the 3300 strong area, judging by the recoil, and flash. It definitely has some authority to it on both ends. I have some more of those bullets left, and enough RL25 to duplicate that load, and that's exactly what's on my itinerary for this weekend. Maybe I'll drag the chrono with me too. I know this, if they shoot like they did last Sunday, I'm going to do a load out in that formula, that I'll be taking to Maryland in November. I ordered two boxes of those BT's , and another lb of RL25 as well. So far, I really like the RL25. it seems to have more energy, and also, and more importantly, less temp sensitive then it's brother, RL22.

On a totally different note, when I was in the gun shop today, my dealer had 5 boxes of Brand New" Remington" 7 mm STW ammo. ( he now has 3 ). I know that it is new because of the plastic cartridge holder in the box. They are loaded with 140 core lokt bullets.time will tell how good the brass is.

As a foot note on the ammo, my guess is that because they had especial run on the SPS rifles in spring, they must have had a special run on the ammo as well.
( maybe all this is due to the fact that the 7RUM is dead)
Maybe they will continue making it, and MAYBE brass will become avail again too!!

EDIT, I just looked on Remingtons website, and they are listing the Core Lokt,( 140 grain, ) and that Swift A- Frame bullet, also in 140 grain.

Bob,

You have me intrigued about the RL25 powder. I've got a pound of it for my .257 wby but I have not used any yet. So I loaded up some 160 AB with RL25 80gr & 81gr and Fed 215.

I'm going to try them at the rifle range soon and will post the results.

Bob,

You have me intrigued about the RL25 powder. I've got a pound of it for my .257 wby but I have not used any yet. So I loaded up some 160 AB with RL25 80gr & 81gr and Fed 215.

I'm going to try them at the rifle range soon and will post the results.
I've been telling people to go to rl25 here for a while.
I'd work up to 81 slow with the 160 AB; I only use 82 grains with the 140 and it's full pressure. Nos. quotes 81 as top charge for the 140 in their book.

7stw - you mentioned that RL25 is more temp stable than RL22. Temp sensitivity is the reason I've stayed away from the RL powders (RL15 is the one exception I know of). I have read that RL17 is pretty temp stable also. What experience or data do you have with RL25 regarding temp? I'd really like to use it.

7stw - you mentioned that RL25 is more temp stable than RL22. Temp sensitivity is the reason I've stayed away from the RL powders (RL15 is the one exception I know of). I have read that RL17 is pretty temp stable also. What experience or data do you have with RL25 regarding temp? I'd really like to use it.
Bobs the 25 is a bunch more stable than 22 ......still not an Extreme powder but way better than 22...... Im using 25 in my 22-243 MiddleStead (which is unreal) and plan on using it in my new STW build .........I really like it

bobs, as we all know, and almost anybody who has loaded RL22, everyone will tell you that it varies substantially when the temps fluctuates. I have been a fan of it, and I understand when I can, and when I can't use it. That all being said, I tried some RL25 in the spring, and have shot it a few times, at varying temps, and have noted that I didn't get pressure when I expected to get it, and POI didn't change much either. It is by no means a " extreme " type of powder, nor is it advertised to be. I just noted that I didn't get the sensitivity that I have encountered with the 22. So, at least at this point, it does seem to a little better anyway.
Now, onto the 17' I really like that stuff. I shoot it in my .25-06, and it loves it. It IS advertised as being a less temp sensitive then it's other RL series brethren. Velocity is said to be higher, with less pressure. I have not chronoed any loads of recent, but I will be doing some soon.
It seems to me, that when the temps are between 30-65, I can safely and predictably use RL22' and get good speed, and accuracy, and no pressure spikes or dips. The RL 25, seems to exhibit more energy, and lower ES. That's just my take on things so far.