7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Hi Guys, I've been thinking about trying the 168 gr Barnes LRX and was wondering about expansion at long range. So I called the Barnes and the tech said 1600 fps to initiate expansion, 1800 fps for full expansion. This is 200 fps lower velocity than the TTSX bullets and I asked why - He said they re-engineered the nose cavity on the LRX bullets for better long range terminal performance. Hoping to hear from some of you guys about your field experience with these bullets.

Bear, Antelope is the least "gamey" of any meat I have eaten. Mine actually has no "smell" when cooking. I quarter them where they lay and put on ice at the truck, where they stay till I get home. Then I separate each muscle and "fillet" the outer skin/casing off to remove any fat and membranes, then cut into steaks or burger.

Baldhunter, It's a factory SPS 700 barrel and action, "single fed" with the 180's set "about" .025" off the lands. I'm 3.165" to the ogive using a Hornady comparator on callipers. 73 gr. of RL25. I remembered to have another cartridge in my hand before I took the first one. I generally do a lot of belly crawling so they have no idea I'm there and after the shot will run a slight distance and hang up for a minute or so. The rangefinder/phone app/moa turret will get replaced for sure. Way too much hassle and fiddle dickin around. Yardage turret is the way to go for me.

The STW is heading off to Montana for action truing and a new barrel next week. That will finish off my custom 7stw.

How was the on game peformance using the 180gr Bergers? Did you get exit holes? Was there much damage to meat on the offside of the shot?

I have a load with 168gr Bergers loaded up for my STW to try once deer season starts here in PA.

I like to hear as many first hand accounts as I can since Bergers seem to have a love/hate reputation with hunters.

All 3 Antelope were 300-330 yards. All were pass thru. Two high shoulder shots and one lung, right in the < of the front leg/scapula. Softball size damage area on the off side for all 3 animals. Don't know what the insides looked like, I never opened them up.

Range Report!

Well I went to the rifle range this morning to see how well my latest loads did.

Weather was breezy and temp. was about 50-55 degrees.

The first target picture is with the Montana Sendero @ 100 yards. Load data; 140 grain Nosler Accubond bullet, 85.5 grains of H1000 powder, 215 Fed primers, 3.675 COL. Average velocity was 3,450 fps.

The second picture is with the California Sendero @ 100 yards. Load data; 160 grain Nosler Accubond bullet, 82 grains of Retumbo powder, 215 Fed primers, 3.675 COL. Average velocity was 3,240 fps.

I'm pretty pleased with the results and I think these will be my recipe for slaughtering whitetails this year.

I'm going 2 weeks from today for early Doe season. :D

Attachments

• 140 AB H1000 85_5.jpg
    140 AB H1000 85_5.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 160 AB Retumbo 82.jpg
    160 AB Retumbo 82.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 21
Range Report!

Well I went to the rifle range this morning to see how well my latest loads did.

The first target picture is with the Montana Sendero @ 100 yards. Load data; 140 grain Nosler Accubond bullet, 85.5 grains of H1000 powder, 215 Fed primers, 3.675 COL. Average velocity was 3,450 fps.

The second picture is with the California Sendero @ 100 yards. Load data; 160 grain Nosler Accubond bullet, 82 grains of Retumbo powder, 215 Fed primers, 3.675 COL. Average velocity was 3,240 fps.

I'm pretty pleased with the results and I think these will be my recipe for slaughtering whitetails this year.

Looks like you have them dialed in ........Great shooting

Code:
Range Report!

Gamehawker, I think I'd be pretty pleased as well. And with those bullets, nothing will walk away, and you'll be doing some dragging. ( what a shame:D). It also looks like those investments you made earlier in the year are paying off. Where are you going to be hunting at this early with rifle?
I will be in Maryland the week after thanksgiving. Deer season starts the Saturday after T day. I can't wait. My cousin has been seeing some monsters recently. I'll be unleashing my two new STW's and let them eat a little. I am going to set my custom build up with 154 spire points and RL 25, and the Winchester Sharpshpoter with 140 TSX, or TTSX, and RL22. man, just thinking about it gets my heart pumping, and let's you know you a are alive. I LIVE for this time of year! Good luck on your hunt, awesome shooting, as is well deserved. You've earned it. Patience is earned, not acquired !!!! Happy Hunting!!

All 3 Antelope were 300-330 yards. All were pass thru. Two high shoulder shots and one lung, right in the < of the front leg/scapula. Softball size damage area on the off side for all 3 animals. Don't know what the insides looked like, I never opened them up.

Bob, I'm glad that you've got most of the bugs out of you rifle. You sure as heck had a few issues with it when you first got it. Lots of hills and valleys, and real roller coaster ride. You persevered through enough crap with that thing, that I was afraid you were going to dump it. I would not have blamed you.
I am glad to hear that you have decided to to do a custom build, in " our " caliber, of course. There's no feeling like a custom gun, that is yours from the conception, and when you get it, and finally get to shoot it. And when it behaves as expected, with no surprises.
Congrats on the" piebald prairie goats".Nice shots, and you gotta love the DRT. I am getting geared up myself to hunt in November. I really can't wait. Again, congrats on the shooting, and the game!!!!:D

Code:

Gamehawker, I think I'd be pretty pleased as well. And with those bullets, nothing will walk away, and you'll be doing some dragging. ( what a shame:D). It also looks like those investments you made earlier in the year are paying off. Where are you going to be hunting at this early with rifle?
I will be in Maryland the week after thanksgiving. Deer season starts the Saturday after T day. I can't wait. My cousin has been seeing some monsters recently. I'll be unleashing my two new STW's and let them eat a little. I am going to set my custom build up with 154 spire points and RL 25, and the Winchester Sharpshpoter with 140 TSX, or TTSX, and RL22. man, just thinking about it gets my heart pumping, and let's you know you a are alive. I LIVE for this time of year! Good luck on your hunt, awesome shooting, as is well deserved. You've earned it. Patience is earned, not acquired !!!! Happy Hunting!!

Bob,

Thanks for the complements. I'm going to West Virginia to hunt during their early Doe Season from 10/25-10/27. I'll be hunting with my Dad in his tree-tand. He says that the deer are coming out in the field about 225 yards away from the tree-stand. He told me that with the way I'm shooting I can not take a shoulder shot. He only wants me to take a neck shot. Well I'll see if I can and I'll post the results and pics. :)

Good luck in on the eatern-shore of Maryland. As you said, there are some wide-open fields there and the way you have fine-tuned your 7STWs I'm sure you will have a slaughter-fest on the deer! :D

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhoode 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

2012 Idaho bullhttp://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13808&stc=1&d=1350083606

Attachments

• 2012 Elk #2.jpg
    2012 Elk #2.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 20
Well, after a summer of load testing and practicing at the range, I headed out Moose hunting last week with my STW. We only had a Cow tag in our group to fill, so no antlers this year. Opening morning, after watching a yearling bull for 15-20 minutes before he wandered off out of sight. About 45 minutes later a yearling cow stepped out to the river about 300 yards out. She walked straight in on me, to about 250 yards when she finally turned broadside. I sent a 160gr Accubond through the boiler room, and she took off into the river. She only went about 50-75 yards stopped, started to rock and down she went with a splash.
My first moose, and first kill with my Sako 75 STW. A great morning, spent hunting with my father, that will never be forgotten.
The Accubond went straight through, to a bit of my surprise, it had a pin hole in and out. It clipped a rib on the way in, and something (I assume a piece of the bullet) went nearly vertical and exited right beside the loin in the entrance side. This exit, was the only real noticeable sign of the moose being hit before we cleaned her. I wish I had took some pictures of it with the hide off to show this. It wasn't the performance I expected from the Accubond, though I can't complain. It put her down in short order and did absolutely no meat damage.

181_zps94b92bef.jpg