7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Here is another idea. I fully understand that it is sacrilege on this forum and I run the risk of being excommunicated by my brethren, but...... since it is a standard action length (2.5" cartridges), there is a way you can get near (I put that in to alleviate the trouble i'll be in for bringing this up), 7STW ballistics from a puny cartridge. You can rebarrel the action to 7mm Dakota.

I know all H-E 2x Toothpicks is going to start flying on this forum because i said the name that cannot be named.

The Dakota will get you where you want to be in a standard sized action. Brass is more expensive, and is also of higher quality than Remington Brass. Your bolt face will have to be opened up and with a longer mag box in your 700 you should be able to seat the bullets out there and give them a proper ride.

I had to do this with the 7mm rem mag Savage LRH 111 I bought because the stinking mag couldn't handle a true cartridges length. So there is always that.....

OK let the berating begin..........

Boulderdash, poppycock, and blasphemy, eternal damnation, and many mis- fires to you, and tracking too!!! How's that for starters.........? LMFAO.
I just had to start the fire, and now I'm going to watch it burn. ( not really serious, all humor, but I couldn't resist, it must be that hunting season is near, I can smell it and feel it) let's see if anyone else can contribute!!!! Happy Hunting!!!
LET THE GAMES BEGIN BRETHREN!!!!![/QUOTE]I refuse to even comment

Anybody tried 160gr speer deep curl bullets in a 7mm stw. If you have or know any load information it would be appreciated as I haven't been able to find any. Or suggest a good starting point I have imr 7828ssc and rl25 on hand.

I let the STW eat this weekend in WY. 180 bergers at 300 yards. They didn't even twitch, DRT. I was immpressed.

Attachments

• 2 does.jpg
    2 does.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 15
I already have a 7STW in a Winchester M70, figured I may rechamber my Rem 700 if is would not be to much work :D may start keeping my eyes peeled for a doner gun in the near future, thanks guys.

Here is another idea. I fully understand that it is sacrilege on this forum and I run the risk of being excommunicated by my brethren, but...... since it is a standard action length (2.5" cartridges), there is a way you can get near (I put that in to alleviate the trouble i'll be in for bringing this up), 7STW ballistics from a puny cartridge. You can rebarrel the action to 7mm Dakota.

I know all H-E 2x Toothpicks is going to start flying on this forum because i said the name that cannot be named.

The Dakota will get you where you want to be in a standard sized action. Brass is more expensive, and is also of higher quality than Remington Brass. Your bolt face will have to be opened up and with a longer mag box in your 700 you should be able to seat the bullets out there and give them a proper ride.

I had to do this with the 7mm rem mag Savage LRH 111 I bought because the stinking mag couldn't handle a true cartridges length. So there is always that.....

OK let the berating begin..........[/QUOTE]

Have you considered a 7mm/375 ruger, just about ticks all the boxes I reackon?

Boulderdash, poppycock, and blasphemy, eternal damnation, and many mis- fires to you, and tracking too!!! How's that for starters.........? LMFAO.
I just had to start the fire, and now I'm going to watch it burn. ( not really serious, all humor, but I couldn't resist, it must be that hunting season is near, I can smell it and feel it) let's see if anyone else can contribute!!!! Happy Hunting!!!
LET THE GAMES BEGIN BRETHREN!!!!!
I refuse to even comment[/QUOTE]
too late.....

I'll bet you can get to 10mm or less at 100. Are you looking at 500 yard or meters actually. Try Bergers 180's or 168. On a side note, I have a 6.5x55 and I'm looking for a good whitetail load and bullet at 300 yards or less. Any ideas? I've got a month!

I'm using norma oryx 156 grains and it works great. I dont have load data on this one( manufactor ammo).
It's 500 meters.

Last edited:
I let the STW eat this weekend in WY. 180 bergers at 300 yards. They didn't even twitch, DRT. I was immpressed.

Are you shooting the Bergers single shot?I tried some 168gr Bergers in mine and I had to seat them way to deep in order to fit the magazine.They shot like crap because of it.My rifle has a long throat and it was too much jump for that bullet.That is the disadvantage I see with the 7STW,the case is so long,it limits how far you seat your bullets out on extremely aerodynamic bullets.

Well, just ordered pillars from brownells. Should take care of the squishy stock problem. I've gotta get them in in the next couple of weeks if I want to kill with the stw this year. The block I was looking at was a wait, so it's this or a laminate stock. Cost won out for now.

Bear, Antelope is the least "gamey" of any meat I have eaten. Mine actually has no "smell" when cooking. I quarter them where they lay and put on ice at the truck, where they stay till I get home. Then I separate each muscle and "fillet" the outer skin/casing off to remove any fat and membranes, then cut into steaks or burger.

Baldhunter, It's a factory SPS 700 barrel and action, "single fed" with the 180's set "about" .025" off the lands. I'm 3.165" to the ogive using a Hornady comparator on callipers. 73 gr. of RL25. I remembered to have another cartridge in my hand before I took the first one. I generally do a lot of belly crawling so they have no idea I'm there and after the shot will run a slight distance and hang up for a minute or so. The rangefinder/phone app/moa turret will get replaced for sure. Way too much hassle and fiddle dickin around. Yardage turret is the way to go for me.

The STW is heading off to Montana for action truing and a new barrel next week. That will finish off my custom 7stw.

Bear, Antelope is the least "gamey" of any meat I have eaten. Mine actually has no "smell" when cooking. I quarter them where they lay and put on ice at the truck, where they stay till I get home. Then I separate each muscle and "fillet" the outer skin/casing off to remove any fat and membranes, then cut into steaks or burger.

Baldhunter, It's a factory SPS 700 barrel and action, "single fed" with the 180's set "about" .025" off the lands. I'm 3.165" to the ogive using a Hornady comparator on callipers. 73 gr. of RL25. I remembered to have another cartridge in my hand before I took the first one. I generally do a lot of belly crawling so they have no idea I'm there and after the shot will run a slight distance and hang up for a minute or so. The rangefinder/phone app/moa turret will get replaced for sure. Way too much hassle and fiddle dickin around. Yardage turret is the way to go for me.

The STW is heading off to Montana for action truing and a new barrel next week. That will finish off my custom 7stw.

We've done up the prairie goats a little simpler here in the Dakota's. We dump the guts and rinse 'em out with cold water and shove a block/bag of ice in the gut cavity. Steaks or burger here too for end product. With the steaks a bit of butter and steak salt and a flat grill at 350 f is about perfect and fork tender. Too bad the season on them has been closed for a couple of years. I like goat.

You guys are making me hungry, for goat and shooting. Would love to take either stw out west and open them up.

Hopefully I will get to shoot the new Win M70 soon, it looks really nice.