7mm short action chamberings?

Ya'll got me all fired up...again!
I'm going to cut my Rem Varmint 7mm-08 barrel down to 19-20 for suppressed whitetail hunting!

Ya'll got me all fired up...again!
I'm going to cut my Rem Varmint 7mm-08 barrel down to 19-20 for suppressed whitetail hunting!
Not to hijack the thread but I'm going to try some of 308 win 168 gr Big Game loads. I read one load where 2900 fps was achieved. That's the cheap route right now lol.

I appreciate everyone's feed back! I'm leaning heavy on the 708 ai. I have brass and don't mind forming sine the barrel needs to be broke in anyway. In a pinch I can still shoot factory ammo. And heck if I'm not satisfied with what I'm getting I get to go down another rabbit hole! ;) thanks again for everyone's responses!

You have gotten excellent advice/recommendations, but you need to narrow down your goal, i.e., 160 class bullet for an all-around deer rifle in .28 cal from a short action; what's your max range, timber or open country hunting, etc.?
Well they way I'm seeing it I have the built up 7wsm that's launching 180 vlds over 3000 and the 162 sst is getting around 3150 so anything when there a situation that I know I will be shooting longer I will grab that. I'm thinking max would be around 600 yds for this project(on game). Longer at paper. I'm just getting started in the decisions so everything is kind of fluid right now. Lol

I load 120gr Hammer Hunters in my daughter's 7-08. We are getting a little over 3k fps out of a 20" barrel with a suppressor. Picture is from a successful antelope hunt in New Mexico. 404yds DRT!

Attachments

• h2.jpg
    h2.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 59
Well they way I'm seeing it I have the built up 7wsm that's launching 180 vlds over 3000 and the 162 sst is getting around 3150 so anything when there a situation that I know I will be shooting longer I will grab that. I'm thinking max would be around 600 yds for this project(on game). Longer at paper. I'm just getting started in the decisions so everything is kind of fluid right now. Lol
That's why I have not provided any recommendations because it is hard to make one on a moving target and what gap you are trying to fill. The 7MM-08/AI is an excellent choice, as @Roughrice noted from the start.

That's why I have not provided any recommendations because it is hard to make one on a moving target and what gap you are trying to fill. The 7MM-08/AI is an excellent choice, as @Roughrice noted from the start.
Yeah the running thing is to unpredictable to recommend anything but hand grenades! Lol
I do more spot and stalk that anything anymore.

An extra 100fps or more couldn't hurt
It's hard to argue with the performance of the 284 win. It's a pretty good balance of performance vs powder consumption. The downside is brass availability. For me I have a ton of once fired 308 win brass sitting. I could easily size that to 7-08. Once some 308 win srp came available then I could use srp primer too. With supply chains as they are available components adds to the equation. One good news is Hodgdon announced that their powders should be more readily available this year. So maybe the other components will be well supplied too.

Great article on SA 284 Win!
That may be a route for the OP to venture into.
I really love that 284 Win.
Very good article! I am seeing 2 issues for me tho. Rl17 and the big one is neck turning. Not sure if a guy can get away from that or not but it is a deal breaker for me. I don't have the tooling or know anyone with the tooling that I could use.

It's hard to argue with the performance of the 284 win. It's a pretty good balance of performance vs powder consumption. The downside is brass availability. For me I have a ton of once fired 308 win brass sitting. I could easily size that to 7-08. Once some 308 win srp came available then I could use srp primer too. With supply chains as they are available components adds to the equation. One good news is Hodgdon announced that their powders should be more readily available this year. So maybe the other components will be well supplied too.
Will a person see any performance differences using the srp brass ?

Very good article! I am seeing 2 issues for me tho. Rl17 and the big one is neck turning. Not sure if a guy can get away from that or not but it is a deal breaker for me. I don't have the tooling or know anyone with the tooling that I could use.
I'd go the H4350 route and use Winchester brass without neck turning. The author neck turned because his rifle served double duty as a competition rifle as well as a hunter.
Will a person see any performance differences using the srp brass ?
Some say the brass is stronger at the base so they can load to higher pressures. I'd use it because I have an ample supply of small rifle primers. Also it gives me the option to keep my rifle shooting if I can't get large rifle or small rifle primers.

I wonder if those cases would perform well with small mag primers? Seeing as there are some small pocketed in 6.creed and a few other medium sized cases.