7mm SAUM vs 300 WSM for Elk/western hunting?

A 7 SAUM with a 180 ELDM will probably run between 2800-2900 with a 22" barrel and it's noticeably more bullet than any of the 6.5s when it hits flesh. Brass for the SAUM is no longer an issue as it's available from ADG, Norma, and Gunwerks.

A 300 WSM is a fun round too and gives you more bullet weights to play with but I don't regret building my 7 SAUM.

If this is an elk gun primarily, I would go .30 cal as well. Not saying the 7 is under gunned, but I'd go bigger considering your experience with a 6.5. Take out al doubt from the equation mentally.

I would certainly go the way of the 300 wsm. If you go to PTG's site they have a 3b bainey box that allows up to 3.110" OAL, and is the longest box available for a short action to my knowledge, it may still be cutting you a little short with a 215 but it is getting you close. But if you really want a dedicated elk rifle, I would consider getting a long action and stepping up to a .338 rum, edge, or Norma mag. I know it's not a prefit, but a .300 or .338 ss would also be an option with your current configuration, and would fit better than a wsm. They send 215's around 2900+, and 250's around 2700+ respectively. Might be a consideration.

I experienced something similar with a 147 eldm in my .260 AI, if it wasn't for fresh clean snow I would have lost a cow elk my wife shot, as it traveled over half a mile with a confirmed double lung impact and ZERO blood trail, it would have been easily visible in the fresh white powder, but all I had to follow was tracks, and I knew it was hit good as we video all our shots. I switched to the 156 EOL and had much better results this year, however I still spent all last year building a .338 Norma Mag specifically for elk. I know the 6.5 is totally capable, especially with proper bullet selection, but I have never lost an animal, and last year scared me almost loosing that elk. With a 300 going 2700, there will be no doubts if there is enough.

As far as the rifle length, I know that battle, my .260 ai has a 30" barrel plus an extra 2.5" of muzzle brake. My .338 I built is a 24"+ brake, much better. Personally I would rather take the extra 2" and have the 30 cal. But, you could also talk to hells canyon armory or carbon six about carbon barrels in the configuration you want.
I knew the 338 would show up. When in doubt go big. Works pretty good for tanks and battleships guns.

I vote 300WSM. I took this 5x5 with my A-Bolt, 300WSM, one shot, time to pack out.

D1596C1C-615B-494E-B5C4-DC074619C533.jpeg

I have been hunting in Wyoming for 30 years. My goto is a Browning Titanium Mountain Rifle in 300 WSM, my backup is a 338 WM. At age 70 I like less weight to lug around. I only shoot reloads and have not purchased a factory round for any of my hunting and bench rifles for more that 20 years. I load 168 TTSX for the 300 WSM and the last 2 Elk were 400 yds +/- one shot kills dropped in their tracks.

I was in a similar position as you, except in my case I had a factory R700 chambered in 300wsm that I wanted to get trued and re-barreled. I did install a Wyatt's box so I was able to seat the 300wsm out to about 2.960 COAL, but it was still difficult to reach the lands with the heavy bullets.
The decision came down to sticking with the 300wsm or going with something else.

In the end I choose to go with the 7SAUM in a 22" barrel. I choose 7SAUM for many of the reasons you stated. I can run a really high BC bullet (180 class) with the available mag space much easier than with the 300wsm. I'm building it as an "all rounder" so it will see a lot of action on deer as well. For elk I'll probably shoot something like a 160 accubond.

The rifle is still at the gun smith's, I'm hoping to get in back in the next three months or so. So time will tell if I made a good choice.

I've already picked up ADG brass when they came back in stock. So I'll be ready to go. I will build another 300wsm someday as I really like it. I have a short action W70 that has over 3" of mag space, I'll probably use that.

Something to be said for using a Remington cartridge in a Remington action and a Winchester cartridge in a Winchester action I suppose :)

Good luck, I'm curious to see what you choose.

I would certainly go the way of the 300 wsm. If you go to PTG's site they have a 3b bainey box that allows up to 3.110" OAL, and is the longest box available for a short action to my knowledge, it may still be cutting you a little short with a 215 but it is getting you close. But if you really want a dedicated elk rifle, I would consider getting a long action and stepping up to a .338 rum, edge, or Norma mag. I know it's not a prefit, but a .300 or .338 ss would also be an option with your current configuration, and would fit better than a wsm. They send 215's around 2900+, and 250's around 2700+ respectively. Might be a consideration.

I experienced something similar with a 147 eldm in my .260 AI, if it wasn't for fresh clean snow I would have lost a cow elk my wife shot, as it traveled over half a mile with a confirmed double lung impact and ZERO blood trail, it would have been easily visible in the fresh white powder, but all I had to follow was tracks, and I knew it was hit good as we video all our shots. I switched to the 156 EOL and had much better results this year, however I still spent all last year building a .338 Norma Mag specifically for elk. I know the 6.5 is totally capable, especially with proper bullet selection, but I have never lost an animal, and last year scared me almost loosing that elk. With a 300 going 2700, there will be no doubts if there is enough.

As far as the rifle length, I know that battle, my .260 ai has a 30" barrel plus an extra 2.5" of muzzle brake. My .338 I built is a 24"+ brake, much better. Personally I would rather take the extra 2" and have the 30 cal. But, you could also talk to hells canyon armory or carbon six about carbon barrels in the configuration you want.
Elk.....300...or .338 better

I'm in the 7 SAUM camp too. I have been shooting a 175 elite hunter out of 22 in barrel short action at 2751. I have just rang steel--but can say it hits a steel plate at 400-500 with a lot more "punch" than a 143 in a 6.5 PRC...

I'm a 338 fan too...I really like the 338 RCM...I know I'm one of the few supporters of it but it does a lot with a 225 and 230 grain bullet for the barrel length and length of barrel

Last edited:
I think you can't go wrong with either of those calibers both will far outshine the CM for hunting purposes. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy shooting my 6.5 cm, and I've probably owned and built more 6.5 creedmoors than any else. But the last two years of hunting I have shot and watched others shoot over a dozen deer and antelope with the 6.5 creedmoor. And I am done using it for hunting! It simply is not an emphatic killing caliber. The only bullet that performed as I think it should was the 140gr eldm. I watched a guy shoot a deer 4 times with a 143eldx out of a creedmoor and lost a lot of confidence in that combo. I also noted a trend with my 6.5 and 140hr Berger hybrids. The deer always run away after being shot. The only animal I saw die quickly with the 6.5 creedmoor, in the last two years, was an antelope I shot at 405yds with the 140eldm. I think the creedmoor can't produce adequate velocity to cause the harder bullets to expand violently. I will continue to have fun shooting steel with the creedmoor and getting new shooters into the sport, but when it comes to killing I'll be using more horsepower.

I shot a 300 SAUM for years. Loved it, but moved to 6.5s because the SAUM was too much gun for white tail deer.
One note though: if you rebarrel you also must change the bolt face to magnum size. Good thing you're not trying this change on a Remmy, as it's a PITA. Zermatt has a replaceable bolt head, I believe.

I've been hunting with a 6.5 WSM in a long action and 6.5 SS in a short action for the last two years. The SS is using 7 SAUM brass and the WSM using 270 WSM brass. I've taken elk and mountain goat with the WSM. Nothing yet with the SS.

I've seen people using WSM's in a short action but I'm not sure how they're doing it and seating long bullets. I had to use a Wyatt's box in the SS with BDL bottom metal to get enough room to seat the bullets out. That's quite a bit shorter than the WSM.

I guess what I'm saying is that if I were to go to a 7 SAUM or 300 WSM it would depend on whether I wanted to run a short, medium or long action. I'd run a med/long with the WSM and a short with the SAUM. Barring the action, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

My buddy has a 7 SAUM he uses for elk periodically and he loves it.

Regarding bullets, I shot the elk and goat with a 130 Scirocco. All were very dead. It's a tough bullet if you can get them to shoot in your rifle.

Attached is a pic of a 6.5 SAUM, 6.5 SS and 6.5 WSM for OAL comparison each seated with a 143 ELD-X. Each is about .030" off the lands.

saumshermanwsm.jpg