7mm SAUM vs 300 WSM for Elk/western hunting?

I am not suggesting you consider a new cartridge, but I am curious to not see the 300 SAUM listed. Can you tell me what factored into your decision to rule it out? I like your options your are considering but am also considering a 300 SAUM myself because I have heard the mag length issues aren't as big of a problem as with the WSM. I'm curious about your thoughts.

Mainly the ability to get pre fit barrels from proof.

Helpful replies so far guys...

I started this thread not knowing much about the 7 SAUM and thinking the 300 WSM was the way to go, but the more I look into things the SAUM is quite appealing.

Pros the the 7 SAUM
- Pre fit barrel length I want (22in)
- Slightly better in a true short action
- Better high end brass availability (ADG, Norma 300 WSM brass seems discontinued)
- less recoil
- ever so slightly flatter shooting

Biggest Pro to the 300 seems to be about 400 ft lbs of energy (3150 KE at the muzzle, 210 gr bullet ~2750 MV). That's nothing to sneeze at, but the 7 SAUM still has a huge jump in energy over the 6.5 CM (2750 KE at the muzzle vs 2100 KE) and seems to duplicate 7 rem mag performance in a SA.

To be honest I'm kinda leaning 7 SAUM at this point. I got kind of stuck thinking I need a 300 based off my bad experience with the 6.5, but nobody is going to claim a 7mm bullet at Rem Mag velocities is marginal for elk. I feel like if I want to push past 750 yards or so I need to start building a long action 300 PRC or the like. Trying to do it in a short action just seems like an exercise in futility.

Last edited:
Biggest Pro to the 300 seems to be about 400 ft lbs of energy (3150 at the muzzle).

for 165 gr. Class bullets in the wsm - yes - but I would be very leery of getting that kind of velocity out of 180's running normal pressures - especially in a 22 or 24 inch barrel.

If you intended to run 165's in the wsm vs. the 175's in the SAUM, I would go for the SAUM.

we've killed a few elk with 175's in the SAUM with great success thus far.

for 165 gr. Class bullets in the wsm - yes - but I would be very leery of getting that kind of velocity out of 180's running normal pressures - especially in a 22 or 24 inch barrel.

If you intended to run 165's in the wsm vs. the 175's in the SAUM, I would go for the SAUM.

we've killed a few elk with 175's in the SAUM with great success thus far.

3150 energy not MV, I don't think I'll get that kind of velocity out of the 300 WSM with a long high BC bullet without blowing myself up!

I'd be planning on using 210 Gr ABLRs in the 300 WSM and 175 gr ABLRs in the 7 SAUM.

Ahhh gotcha.

regardless I've got both.

300 wsm - 200 gr eldx 2864 FPS 24 inch
7 SAUM 175 gr eldx 2860 FPS 22 inch

I lean towards SAUM. Less recoil, retains slightly more velocity right at my maximum range, and was much easier to tune on the bench.

Helpful replies so far guys...

I started this thread not knowing much about the 7 SAUM and thinking the 300 WSM was the way to go, but the more I look into things the SAUM is quite appealing.

Pros the the 7 SAUM
- Pre fit barrel length I want (22in)
- Slightly better in a true short action
- Better high end brass availability (ADG, Norma 300 WSM brass seems discontinued)
- less recoil
- ever so slightly flatter shooting

Biggest Pro to the 300 seems to be about 400 ft lbs of energy (3150 KE at the muzzle, 210 gr bullet ~2750 MV). That's nothing to sneeze at, but the 7 SAUM still has a huge jump in energy over the 6.5 CM (2750 KE at the muzzle vs 2100 KE) and seems to duplicate 7 rem mag performance in a SA.

To be honest I'm kinda leaning 7 SAUM at this point. I got kind of stuck thinking I need a 300 based off my bad experience with the 6.5, but nobody is going to claim a 7mm bullet at Rem Mag velocities is marginal for elk. I feel like if I want to push past 750 yards or so I need to start building a long action 300 PRC or the like. Trying to do it in a short action just seems like an exercise in futility.
I guess my comments on at least 300 and better yet 338, are more relevant to my useage. In the last 3 years, the closest I have shot an elk is 713, and out to 910, so that is where the .338 seems more suitable....

3150 energy not MV, I don't think I'll get that kind of velocity out of the 300 WSM with a long high BC bullet without blowing myself up!

I'd be planning on using 210 Gr ABLRs in the 300 WSM and 175 gr ABLRs in the 7 SAUM.
Shooting the ABLRs really make sure you study the twist rates others are getting good results from, they seem to do a little better with extra twist and like a little more jump, they are explosive bullets even being bonded and you'll need to stay way of the shoulder till you put some range on them.

Shooting the ABLRs really make sure you study the twist rates others are getting good results from, they seem to do a little better and like a little more jump, they are explosive bullets even being bonded and you'll need to stay way of the shoulder.

Any bullets you would recommend?

I'm soured in the ELD-X for anything bigger like elk after my experience this year. Was leaning Nosler because I wanted bonded but I'm open to suggestions.

I've I seen what a 7 wsm will do on elk & deer w/ a 180 gr. Berger HVLD. 2940 FPS MV.

pretty darn impressive! The Berger's seem to shine in this bullet weight/diameter on elk. Might be worth a look - try both Berger's & ABLR's let the gun tell you what it likes!

More than likely poor shot placement. I can't stand it when people blame poor marksmanship on their equipment.

Alright, like I said, I didn't want this to divulge into a debate, I will say this once.

I'm a 4x expert shooter in the USMC, I regularly shoot and compete out past 1000 yards with consistent success. I know when I hit and I know when I miss.

I have never felt more comfortable that I made a good shot on an animal than I did on that elk. I had a steady, rested shot, no wind, good data, and a good range. It was a pure and simple chip shot. The animal reacted like a good hit, the sound was good.

My mind was blown when I got across that draw and didn't find a drop of blood in over two hours of searching. I would've continued to search but we had to leave due to a severe cold front moving in that night.

Reading more and more people's experiences with the ELD-X it seems like I'm not the only one who has had issues.

Now if you don't have something positive to contribute to this thread topic, please leave.

Last edited:
Any bullets you would recommend?

I'm soured in the ELD-X for anything bigger like elk after my experience this year. Was leaning Nosler because I wanted bonded but I'm open to suggestions.
There no sense using something your not confident in, I'm very confident in Bergers but they have proven themselves over many, many one shot kills and I started with them on smaller game closer and worked my way out and on to bigger game. My advice is to try a few bullets on game like deer a little close and see what you like and what gives you confidence in performance.

Alright, like I said, I didn't want this to divulge into a debate, I will say this once.

I'm a 4x expert shooter in the USMC, I regularly shoot and compete out past 1000 yards with consistent success. I know when I hit and I know when I miss.

Also, kind of week

I have never felt more comfortable that I made a good shot on an animal than I did on that elk. I had a steady, rested shot, no wind, good data, and a good range. It was a pure and simple chip shot. The animal reacted like a good hit, the sound was good.

My mind was blown when I got across that draw and didn't find a drop of blood in close to two hours of searching. I would've continued to search but we had to leave due to a severe cold front moving in that night.

Reading more and more people's experiences with the ELD-X it seems like I'm not the only one who has had issues.

Now if you don't have something positive to contribute to this thread topic, please leave.
Dude, I have killed several elk with the eldx - for you to blame it on a bullet is silly, especially at 300 yards. You have no idea if it was a good shot or not, you didnt find the elk...and you gave up after two hours.

Last edited: