7mm SAUM vs 300 WSM for Elk/western hunting?

7 SAUM hands down and with the 162gr SST. Will go through bone and vitals and drop them on the spot out to 700 yds. The 162gr SST is very reliable and won't fragment at close range.
What is the difference in construction between the SST and the ELDX? In my experience the SST is similar to a Nosler Ballistic tip and pretty explosive on game.

I have had both the .300 WSM. Killed some elk with it as well as deer. It was a Tika T3 so on the light side. It was not pleasant to shoot at the range. Recoil can cause flinches and affect shooting for some people. I did OK with that rifle. A friend of mine shot it once at the range and to this day he still talks about how bad the recoil was.
I have had a 7 SAUM for a number of years. I have a 25 inch barrel and get 2900 FPS using a Berger 180 Gr VLD. Took it to Africa last Sept. I had 13 one shot kills and I put a 2nd one in a Pattersons eland that was well over 1500 lbs. He looked like he was getting ready to go down, but I was leaving nothing to chance. In a 22 inch barrel you will likely be around 2800 FPS with some RL26.
Both are great rounds and will do what you want it to do. I prefer the SAUM. Less powder, recoil and cost in bullets. Great bullet selection. I suspect that it will do what you want it to do. In fac,t I just last year re-barreled the .300 WSM and turned it into a 6,5SS.
Bruce

I've got a short action Zermatt TL3 set in a AG composites stock that is my "go to" hunting/long range rifle. It's currently wearing a proof 6.5 CM carbon barrel which I love.

I took it on my first Elk hunt this year and unfortunately likely lost a cow elk... I don't want this thread to divulge into a caliber debate, but 143 ELD-X didn't get it done with a perfect 300 yard broadside shot. Likely more of a bullet selection problem than anything, but either way I've lost my confidence with the CM on something the size of an Elk.

Bottom line I want another barrel to take out west that has a bit more "oomph" than the venerable CM.

Looking at the Proof website they offer pre fit barrels for the TL3 in 7 SAUM and 300 WSM. I was leaning toward the 300 WSM but they only offer it in 24in and I'd like to stick with 22in as I hunt with a suppressor.

They do however offer 7 SAUM in a 22in pre fit.

Anyone care to comment on one vs the other?

300 WSM definitely is the bigger jump in power, but might be limited by mag length. I also worry a 24in barrel plus my Omega would be that much more unwieldy.

7 SUAM seems like an awesome little round, but brass might be hard to find, and doesn't offer that much more power than the 6.5. Hell I might as well look at the 6.5 PRC at that point.

I do reload for BTW, and the goal with this rifle is reliable on Elk to 700 yards.

Thanks!

View attachment 168871
Rifle in question...
Call nick @ Straight Jacket Armory. I had him put a carbon barrel on my short action 6.5 prc with the second barrel being 325 wsm. The 300 wsm would be a awesome choice also.

What is the difference in construction between the SST and the ELDX? In my experience the SST is similar to a Nosler Ballistic tip and pretty explosive on game.

Better penetration, it holds together better and is available in heavier weight than the ballistic tip. The heaviest BT is 150gr and the SST is 162gr.

In my experience the SST goes through bone and also gives you and exit wound. The Ballistic tips sometimes dont exit, not that its bad but I rather have an exit just in case. I have not been able to recover an SST yet and the wound it creates inside is massive.

We use the 139gr on the 7mm-08's and the 162gr in the 7 Rem Mag and 7 SAUM.

Forgot to mention, both can fragment and fail to penetrate at closer ranges when using light bullets at magnum speeds just like a berger, and both have the interlock ring to hold jacket and core together. Reason for using heavy for caliber with larger cartridges.

Now I've never shot the Eld-X because I have too many other bullets in stock and I'm not shooting 1,000 yds so don't care much for the BC, and with the performance of the SST I havent had the need to try anything else. Haven't lost any animals and most drop in the spot if not a couple of steps and done. Haven't had to track any either. I have witnessed the Eld-X in action twice and it worked well, shots were well placed and animals walked a few yards before dropping.

The biggest difference is the shape of the bullet which gives the Eld-X the higher BC.

I love my .300 WSM. I've killed my last 4 elk near my cabin in Ute Park NM. I don't have a custom built rifle just my Browning BAR. All of the elk were one shot kills and all between 300 yards and 500 yards. The round I used for all of these elk was 180 Nosler Partition over 59.5gr N550 Vihta V and Remington brass. Great cartridge in my opinion.

Always and forever, since at least 1985! 2019/2020 and the experimentation continues, at the animal's expense! It's the same subject matter, the same arguments, since the mid 1970s... people are always trying to fight reality.
Heavy 7mms kill elk just as cleanly as 30 Cal's, sometimes better due to the longer bullet with higher sectional densitys. I've first hand witnessed at least 40 elk being shot from 243 on up list and 7mms run right with the 30s no problem. 6.5s I'm a little hesitant on.

It has been stated many times that even a great bullet can produce bad results sometimes.Maybe hitting a rib,acute angle or a gust of wind at the wrong time or maybe an imperfection in that bullet.
I had a Nosler Partition fail on me years ago and only 1 time but did manage to get the elk.
Everytime since they worked great.
I prefer 30 cal rifles but have friends that regularly take elk with 7mm's.
I wish you the best on your decision.
Old Rooster

Hey guys, wanted to say how much I really appreciate some of the excellent posts in this thread. I started it not knowing anything about the SAUM thinking 300 WSM was the obvious choice, but I think I've changed my mind and settled on the 7 SAUM.

-Still a significant increase in power over the 6.5 Creedmoor
-Longer case neck
-fits better in a true short action with long, high BC bullets
-Noticeably less recoil than the 300 WSM
- Readily available high quality brass from multiple manufacturers. I'd have to scour the net to find 300 WSM Norma brass
- Empirical evidence suggests the 7 SAUM is a bit easier to tune.
- Pre fit barrels in the 22in length I want.

Overall, based off that, 7 SAUM seems to be the logical choice. Not that the 300 WSM is a bad one, but for my needs, and the fact I'm trying to stick with a true short action, the 7 SAUM seems to have some noticeable advantages.

Hey guys, wanted to say how much I really appreciate some of the excellent posts in this thread. I started it not knowing anything about the SAUM thinking 300 WSM was the obvious choice, but I think I've changed my mind and settled on the 7 SAUM.

-Still a significant increase in power over the 6.5 Creedmoor
-Longer case neck
-fits better in a true short action with long, high BC bullets
-Noticeably less recoil than the 300 WSM
- Readily available high quality brass from multiple manufacturers. I'd have to scour the net to find 300 WSM Norma brass
- Empirical evidence suggests the 7 SAUM is a bit easier to tune.
- Pre fit barrels in the 22in length I want.

Overall, based off that, 7 SAUM seems to be the logical choice. Not that the 300 WSM is a bad one, but for my needs, and the fact I'm trying to stick with a true short action, the 7 SAUM seems to have some noticeable advantages.

Good choice
Keep us informed