7MM Rem Mag vs 6.5PRC in a 22" barrel

TRUC the 6.5 remington magnum is only a bit behind the 264 win mag.. and that my friend is a hell of a long range gun.. a 24" bbl in the 6.5 will put all the new 6.5s in the shade. again like the 284-350 rem 6.5 rem they are 56 mm cases not for short actions.. rem for a time did make a few 700 wi 24" bbl and they will do IT.

Oh yeah, I also have the 6.5 Rem Mag on a Tikka running 140 VLD's at 3030 26" barrel. My barrel is a #4 Brux and did well out to 700 yards but the thin barrel made it a bit touchy at longer ranges. Though I did connect at 1050 yards, just not as consistent.
Funny you mentioned the 284/350 cartridge, I had one briefly known as the 7Harvey. But ran across a gunsmith that wanted it worse than I did.

I am bouncing around between the 2 cartridges for a semi-custom hunting rifle based on a Tikka action.

We hunt the mountains of Idaho so weight is a consideration.
I hunt suppressed and my suppressor is 9" long hence the desire for a shorter barrel.
I don't see myself taking shots past 600 yards, but want a rifle capable beyond that.

I'm a "there's no replacement for displacement" fellow and am working on changing my mindset on bullets and V-8 engines.

I'm not looking outside these two cartridges though I know there are tons of good alternatives.

I can roll my own, but love the fact that Hornady sells eld-X ammo that shoots pretty darn well.

I'm not sure what my question is, mostly just looking for thoughts on that choice.
Since you're building off a Tikka action I'd avoid the longer 7 RM, I had one in a Tikka and never got decent velocity due to so much bullet stuffed in the case, and that was with a 24.5" barrel.
It's now a lightweight 6.5 saum and I've taken 4 bulls with it, 600 yards is definitely max for reliable quick kills with a 6.5 in my experience.
I'd do a 7 saum or 7 Sherman max if you want a little more for elk

Since you're building off a Tikka action I'd avoid the longer 7 RM, I had one in a Tikka and never got decent velocity due to so much bullet stuffed in the case, and that was with a 24.5" barrel.
It's now a lightweight 6.5 saum and I've taken 4 bulls with it, 600 yards is definitely max for reliable quick kills with a 6.5 in my experience.
I also use 7saum back up rifle as well as a 7mm

Left handed with a barrel thick enough to thread properly are not all that easy to find unfortunately.

I do appreciate your thoughts on non-belted magnums though.

If you're talking about the suppressor threads, there are options to fit the 700 bbl. 1/2x28 works fine on my R1 300 WinMag.

That's a good point and something to consider. Redsnake Tactical bottom model would solve that as it goes to 3.50 OAL in AICS magazines.

I would have to say the 7mag. I run it in a sako finnlight. 24" barrel. Man it's a ya driver for a factory gun. I am shooting 150 gr eld-x at 3150. It's shooting a five shot group in under half moa and thou I have not taken deer or antipope with it it has taken several elk. And the go down very quick. Although they have all been hit very well. That tikka isn't much different. I would look for 24" barrel just for a bit better performance. I don't have a 6.5 prc and have been looking at it close a though I like the numbers ballistics exc. I don't know much faith I would have in it for elk

My 7RM is 22" Proof pushing Barnes TSX160 at 3,018 with 66.0 RL26 at 3.20" OAL.
1587912844867.png
1587912844867.png

The 7 mag will edge the Prc out in fps by an little bit with equal bc bullets. My 22" prc runs a 156 at 2900, 144 at 3000, 135 at 3100. Is take the prc I've the 7 personally.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.