7MM Rem Mag vs 6.5PRC in a 22" barrel

I am bouncing around between the 2 cartridges for a semi-custom hunting rifle based on a Tikka action.

We hunt the mountains of Idaho so weight is a consideration.
I hunt suppressed and my suppressor is 9" long hence the desire for a shorter barrel.
I don't see myself taking shots past 600 yards, but want a rifle capable beyond that.

I'm a "there's no replacement for displacement" fellow and am working on changing my mindset on bullets and V-8 engines.

I'm not looking outside these two cartridges though I know there are tons of good alternatives.

I can roll my own, but love the fact that Hornady sells eld-X ammo that shoots pretty darn well.

I'm not sure what my question is, mostly just looking for thoughts on that choice.

7 em em. Endless brass options. Endless bullet options. Endless factory ammo options. Same light bullet flexibility with far more heavy bullet versatility than the 6.5 PRC. The powder column is a little longer, but the big 7 will do fine in a 22.

That's kind of why the 7RM is even in the picture. The potential to upsize if needed and the opportunity to downsize if needed. I don't pretend to have the intimate knowledge on how effective uploading and downloading is, but in my mind it makes sense.

If you're building from scratch, I'd pick one of the newer non belted magnums. That said, if I wanted a 7mm Remmag, I just buy one of the zillions 700s out there after borescoping it. Shorten the bbl, thread it up and go hunting. Last year I messed about with one of the original 700s w/a stainless factory bbl. Put it in a Boyd's bargain bin stock and put the fixed 10X Bushnell I had laying around on it. Loaded it up with Barnes 145 LRX BT over 65 RL22. Did 3000 fps and dropped 3 in 3/4". Would kill any elk that walks. Had about $700 in it and sold it on to a novice hunter.

IMG_1888.jpg

So why did I sell it ? Have this:

7X61 S&L.jpg

norma-cases-7x61.png

If you're building from scratch, I'd pick one of the newer non belted magnums. That said, if I wanted a 7mm Remmag, I just buy one of the zillions 700s out there after borescoping it. Shorten the bbl, thread it up and go hunting. Last year I messed about with one of the original 700s w/a stainless factory bbl. Put it in a Boyd's bargain bin stock and put the fixed 10X Bushnell I had laying around on it. Loaded it up with Barnes 145 LRX BT over 65 RL22. Did 3000 fps and dropped 3 in 3/4". Would kill any elk that walks. Had about $700 in it and sold it on to a novice hunter.

Left handed with a barrel thick enough to thread properly are not all that easy to find unfortunately.

I do appreciate your thoughts on non-belted magnums though.

a 7mm mage remington is one of the best long rang hunting rifles ever built.. only in a 24" to 26 bbl. in a 22 you have a 280 rem at best. I am a 6.5 man been that for 50 years, but the 7mm rem is a better rifle for big game and it is not even close..

I am bouncing around between the 2 cartridges for a semi-custom hunting rifle based on a Tikka action.

We hunt the mountains of Idaho so weight is a consideration.
I hunt suppressed and my suppressor is 9" long hence the desire for a shorter barrel.
I don't see myself taking shots past 600 yards, but want a rifle capable beyond that.

I'm a "there's no replacement for displacement" fellow and am working on changing my mindset on bullets and V-8 engines.

I'm not looking outside these two cartridges though I know there are tons of good alternatives.

I can roll my own, but love the fact that Hornady sells eld-X ammo that shoots pretty darn well.

I'm not sure what my question is, mostly just looking for thoughts on that choice.
I use a cooper 7mm model 92 5/34 lbs 24 inch and its threaded with scope couple of ounces over 7lbs 800 or more yes is fine 600 a breeze

I have a similar cartridge to the 6.5 PRC, it's a 6.5 Rem Mag. I had it built on a model 7 with a 23" barrel. If you're going short, reload with faster powders. I use IMR4350, nice mild load but deadly on WT with the 125 partition at over 3000fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.