7mm Rem. Mag vs 300 Win. Mag

In 1994 the internet was mostly knowledgeable conservative nerd engineers with manners.
The pendulum has swung as far away from that as it could.
Think of them as 2 year olds with ego issues, and it is easier to not be bothered.

Very funny....

btw., this smear is from a guy who has blown up guns....

In 1994 the internet was mostly knowledgeable conservative nerd engineers with manners.
The pendulum has swung as far away from that as it could.
Think of them as 2 year olds with ego issues, and it is easier to not be bothered.
Oddly enough.... I have forgotten more about electronics than you'll ever know.
2 Things I grew up with... building electronics, etc componentry and firearms.
Lefty and I shot the same weapons growing up.... tagged out on deer within a 1/4 second of each other, and challenged each other in the field...
Ego issues you say? It's warranted. We may not play the 1000 yard game everyday or punch steel at a mile whenever we feel like it... But give either of us an objective with a weapon....game over.

Take all of your little tools away... do you still have the skills to finish the task, other than being a keyboard cowboy? Doubt it.
The reason there are so many cartridges is simply because someone thought they'd find speed or accuracy... or simply something that they conjured up for ***ts and giggles.
Regardless... for the average everyday hunter in NA, any 6.5mm to 338 that is accurate is MORE than sufficient to "play the game". Afford your rifles, play the game.... Don't like it? Then cease to speak..... unless it's your wallet the cash is flowing from.

???
I thought I was agreeing with Lefty and consoling him.
I have built and bought lots of 7mmRM rifles and built and bought lots of 300WM rifles and have hunted with both.

I think that even then, you still won't hardly notice a difference. A well-placed kill shot from either will harvest the animal. I think once you get to a certain animal size/thickness/toughness (adding yardage into the mix, as well) you need to step up to something more formidable for your game.

But to compare nearly apples-to-apples in 7mm vs .30 caliber, the 7mm RM vs .300 WM, and the 7mm STW vs .300 Ackley... Using 180's in the 7mm's and 215's in the .30 calibers, you can effectively take similar game at similar distances with either set of calibers when compared to one another, respectively.

This is just my opinion.

I own 5 .30 caliber rifles... .308 Win, .30-30 Win, .30-06 AI, .300 WM, and .300 Ackley. I am clearly not opposed to .30 caliber weapons. I also have more 7mm rifles than that, in a variety of chamberings, as well... 7mm-08, 7mmRM (multiples), and 7mm STW (multiples). And I will be adding a .280 AI sooner or later.

So, as you can see, my bias towards one or the other is only swayed by my personal preference. I like both calibers. But my allegiences lean towards the 7mm's if I had to pick one over the other. Not because I feel it is better, but because that is simply my preference. Everyone has one.

Well stated MudRunner2005!!!! I like you have several 338's, 30's, 7's, 26's, 6mm's and 223's and I like them all, but do have a few favorites!
My two cents....

I have a 300 rum custom and a few custom 7mms. If anyone knows how to load a 7mm berger 180 they will find it is real safe and easy to achieve 3010-3050 fps. Now using the berger .659 bc runs real close to actual bc. I have also run 180 JLK's .735 bc with excellent results. I have 1 shot kills @ 988 yds 902yds 510yds all with berger and jlk 180s. As far as I am concerned the 7mm is the only choice. I like my 300 rum also but the 7mm will easily kill any North American Big game to 1000 yds with no problems. The shooter has to do his job of course.

I handload;19 Badger,.222, .223, 22-250, 6mmBR, .243, 6mmRem, 25acp, 25-20, 25/35, 250/3000, 257Roberts, 257 Robert Ackley Improved, 257 Robert Ackley Improved rimmed, 25-06, 260Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5-06, 270, 7x57mm, 7mm Rem mag, 32acp, 32sw, 32S&WLong, 32-20, 7.62x25mm, 30 Mauser, 30-30, 303Sav, 300Sav, 7.62x39mm, 308, 7.5Swiss, 30-06, 300WM, 303Brit,7.62x54R, 8x57mm, 338WM, .380, 9x19mm, 9x23mm, 357 Sig, 38 sp, 357 mag, 38sw, 40sw, 10mm, 38/40, 10.4mm, 401 power mag, 41 Colt, 44mag, 45acp, 45Colt, 455 Eley, .410, 45/70, 45/70 case filled, 50CB and 12 ga.

I kill most animals with 22 CB short, 223 Vmax, 7mmRM 140 gr Nos Bal tip, and 12 ga factory ammo.

I am in the process of building myself a couple more 7mmRemMag and 300 Win Mag rifles.
I have only on 7mmRM reamer, but I have two 300WinMag reamers.
I have Shilen select match barrels and Benchmark barrels lined up.

Before guide takes someone hunting, they do some target practice to see what the shooter can do.
I arrive at the hunting area 900 miles from here a month early and practice at long range.
No matter what guns I build and bring, the 7mmRemMag is always the one that can keep the holes in the kill zone at 500 yards. I am suspicious that the 7mmRemMag is more novice friendly. I do not have to turn the turrets very far for that 3400 fps bullet.

I think that even then, you still won't hardly notice a difference. A well-placed kill shot from either will harvest the animal. I think once you get to a certain animal size/thickness/toughness (adding yardage into the mix, as well) you need to step up to something more formidable for your game.

Yep! I too favor the 7mm RM for the lower recoil and being more than adequate for the animals and distances I hunt.

I live in the southeast so there is no need IMO for the heavier 300 mag. I've been shooting the 7 RM for 35 years and kill more than my share of whitetails. Last season I found a batch of Hornady 162 gr aluminum tip "National Match" Amax. Decided to run a test on deer. At 80 and 165 yds the bullet didn't exit, but they dropped in the tracks. Then 257, 840, and 1102 yds. Again all dropped on the spot and the bullet did exit nicely. I'm going on a caribou hunt in Sept in Quebec and I feel comfortable that at 1000 yds the 162 will more than do the job. So I think the 7 RM will do the job for the range you stated. But when it's all said and done, the 300 mag will win the contest for the longest range. Even if the 195 Berger enters the market in our lifetime, the 7 mag can't push it fast enough to compete with the 300 mag.

I shoot a Remington 700 7mm. I use a 168 grain Berger with 66.4 grains of H1000.
the farthest I have ever dropped a mulie in its tracks is 895 yards. The reason I went with that instead of the 300 win mag is because of all the reasons listed.

The one thing I learned is to never shoot a deer on the side of a hill with the 7mm. It doesn't run it just drops dead and rolls down the hill to which you have to drag it back up to your truck lol.

Was the 895 yards shot a hail Mary?
Or had to practiced and thought you chances were good at that range?
I have only practiced to 600y, but got on at 629 in October with a hail Mary.
At 600 y I can barely keep them on the 10" target.

Was the 895 yards shot a hail Mary?
Or had to practiced and thought you chances were good at that range?
I have only practiced to 600y, but got on at 629 in October with a hail Mary.
At 600 y I can barely keep them on the 10" target.

I can reach out to 1000 yards with good confidence on paper. Once I got the yardage from my range finder. I used a program on my phone called bullet flight to come up with the correct settings then double checked the math. Dialed up the scope. The wind was calm, and the deer feel in its tracks.

I can reach out to 1000 yards with good confidence on paper. Once I got the yardage from my range finder. I used a program on my phone called bullet flight to come up with the correct settings then double checked the math. Dialed up the scope. The wind was calm, and the deer feel in its tracks.
You don't have to explain yourself or justify the shot, on this forum..

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.