7mm REM Mag Question

I saw a post on here from 2017, the gentleman was using 74.5gr R-33, .01 off, with a factory 26" 1:9.5 twist Remington barrel and he was at 2865 with no signs of pressure. Not sure what elevation. However I hunt AZ, from the desert to the pines, so elevation is not on my side. I really would like to use the 195's, if it doesn't work out(which seems highly likely), I am going to re barrel with a faster twist and add length. And if I still can't stabilize at that point, I will start going down in bullet weight until I can get the heaviest bullet to stabilize. I just like shooting heavy bullets, just a preference.

A 175 gr. Berger seems like its perfect for your rifle. And i bet you will be very close if not able to get 3k fps. If not you should be easily in the mid to high 2900fps range. I was able years ago but it was not berger boolets. Buy some load it up and report back. anyone shooting a 7mm anything is alright in my book.

best of luck and welcome

I would suggest an alternative being the 168g or 175g ABLR as a great hunting bullet.
You need to jump them and my 9.25" twist STW handles either very well.
If you can get 168g or 180g Berger Hybrid Hunters, and you like Berger bullets, then they're also an option.

Cheers.

I am ignorant to what terminal performance means? I had always just figured if I had over 1000ft# and the bullet was going over 1700 FPS, I was good. That was the rule of thumb I was taught on the 300gr SMK and 300gr Berger's out of my Dads Edge and Terminator. So I was just going to apply the same principle with the 7mm? However I am new to the caliber and have never long range hunted with anything under a .338 so any input is much appreciated!
A marginally stable bullet could tumble upon impact not opening as intended.

I agree with the above a 175-180 would be the max I'd try with your twist.

IMO-A 168-180 over H1k is as good as it gets in a 7rm.

I just got the 175gr Berger Elite Hunters today locally. I am going to try these out and see what I can't do. Hoping to get them around 2950. After the advice and information I just received on here and after talking to the old man, even if I am able to get the 195's to stabilize with a faster twist barrel, still makes me wonder if I will be able to get high enough velocity to utilize the B.C. Thanks for all your info, will let you guys know how the 175's perform!

I just got the 175gr Berger Elite Hunters today locally. I am going to try these out and see what I can't do. Hoping to get them around 2950. After the advice and information I just received on here and after talking to the old man, even if I am able to get the 195's to stabilize with a faster twist barrel, still makes me wonder if I will be able to get high enough velocity to utilize the B.C. Thanks for all your info, will let you guys know how the 175's perform!
I bet you will be unbelievably impressed. Report back please

I'd note that the 195gr Berger Elite Hunter is 0.39" longer than the 168gr. VLD Hunter. You can certainly reach the lands but you're going to be possibly compressing powder, with lower stability, etc. You can pick your bullet, enter twist and environmentals @ https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/. Welcome to the Forum.
The 175gr is still in the marginal stability range @ 2950fps (your goal), 9.5 twist, 60˚, 1000 ft altitude. It is better, but still marginal per Berger. Several have suggested the 168gr.

If you're looking for downrange energy, the equation is roughly 1/2MV**2. Meaning if you do the calculation, considering velocity, mass, BC, etc. you may very well end up with about the same downrange energy, greater stability with the lighter bullet. Aren't tradeoffs fun!