7mm REM Mag Question

DesertBoy

Recently purchased a Tikka T3x in 7mm REM Mag. I am going to try the 195gr Berger Elite Hunters. I understand that my twist may not be fast enough being 1:9.5, but I am going to give it a try. Was going to start .001 off and go back from there. I have Norma brass, Federal Magnum primers, and have R33 and H1000. Was really wanting to use the R33. Any ideas on what grains to start at would be greatly appreciated!

While anything is worth trying, at least once, I think that you are wise to realize that you will probably not be able to stabilize the 195 in your twist.

Not to talk you into a different bullet, but I currently shoot the Berger 180 Hybrid Targets with phenomenal success in a Tikka T3 with the same/stock twist. Even the 180 is quite heavy for caliber, and from all reports is great on game. Not sure what your budget constraints might be, but at least the 180 Hybrids seem to have pretty good availability, so they might be worth a try if you can't get the 195's to shoot well.

Recently purchased a Tikka T3x in 7mm REM Mag. I am going to try the 195gr Berger Elite Hunters. I understand that my twist may not be fast enough being 1:9.5, but I am going to give it a try. Was going to start .001 off and go back from there. I have Norma brass, Federal Magnum primers, and have R33 and H1000. Was really wanting to use the R33. Any ideas on what grains to start at would be greatly appreciated!
My advice is to use a different bullet. There is nothing wrong with trying but you are entering the wishful thinking zone. A 168 will kill anything you shoot with it. No point in having a chance to mess **** up because of an unstable bullet.

Another thing to consider, from what I read Tikka rifles have short magazines, so you are most likely going to either have to single feed or get an aftermarket stock / magazine setup to get close to the lands

At 150 above sea level my 7 weatherby 9 twist would not stabilize them after a rebarrel with a 8.4 twist all is good I believe you would be much better served with a 165-180 grain this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions, good luck with it and welcome aboard

Another thing to consider, from what I read Tikka rifles have short magazines, so you are most likely going to either have to single feed or get an aftermarket stock / magazine setup to get close to the lands
I had planned on using it as a single shot. Most of my hunts in AZ, I am already at my spot glassing with the gun down.

Another thing to think about is your on game terminal performance will not be as good with a compromised B.C.
Yes but by how much there is only one way to find out. And that's by shooting and retroactively engineering your results. That takes time and components. That could be done but with today's component crunch it might be better saving the bullets and powder and getting a more appropriate bullet and powder for his rifle. I wasted a lot of powder and bullets three years ago trying to get a burned out 22-250 barrel to shoot. What I'd do to get all that powder and bullets back now.

Another thing to think about is your on game terminal performance will not be as good with a compromised B.C.
I am ignorant to what terminal performance means? I had always just figured if I had over 1000ft# and the bullet was going over 1700 FPS, I was good. That was the rule of thumb I was taught on the 300gr SMK and 300gr Berger's out of my Dads Edge and Terminator. So I was just going to apply the same principle with the 7mm? However I am new to the caliber and have never long range hunted with anything under a .338 so any input is much appreciated!