7mm REM Mag Question

I'm thinking the 168 vld hunting or something in that weight class and twist would group very well. The 180s might work, but that's as big as I would attempt. H1000 is a good powder to develop a load..
Let us know whatever you decide. Follow Bergers seating test example. Len Backus has it on this site if you search it.

In my opinion, the 7 RM is too light of a cartridge for the 195 Berger, the max I would try is the 180, I think the sweet spot for the 7RM is the 168 and maybe the 175 Berger. With the 195, using factory rifles, they do not come with enough twist to handle the bullet and if you dropped down to an 8 twist, I don't think you could take full advantage of the BC, you could never get it up to 3k in velocity. I have a 28 N and at 440' above sea level I can launch the 195 at 3050 safely, the RM would probably be around 2650-2750. When I first received the 28N, I started out using H1000, that is too fast of a powder for that heavy of a bullet, I could only reach average velocity of 2858fps. To reach the magical 3k, I had to use RL33. I think you would be happier developing a load with the 168 VLD, I setup a load for the Grandson 7RM, it was very accurate at .050 off lands using H1000 and this is with a factory Bergara B14 HMR. Good luck if you try and develop a load with the 195, but like others stated the twist is not fast enough, I would drop down to 168 and start developing.

Recently purchased a Tikka T3x in 7mm REM Mag. I am going to try the 195gr Berger Elite Hunters. I understand that my twist may not be fast enough being 1:9.5, but I am going to give it a try. Was going to start .001 off and go back from there. I have Norma brass, Federal Magnum primers, and have R33 and H1000. Was really wanting to use the R33. Any ideas on what grains to start at would be greatly appreciated!
They wont work with that twist rate

Recently purchased a Tikka T3x in 7mm REM Mag. I am going to try the 195gr Berger Elite Hunters. I understand that my twist may not be fast enough being 1:9.5, but I am going to give it a try. Was going to start .001 off and go back from there. I have Norma brass, Federal Magnum primers, and have R33 and H1000. Was really wanting to use the R33. Any ideas on what grains to start at would be greatly appreciated!
168 Berger vld work great with h1000 or retumbo

I agree with many of the comments in this thread. My go to is 7mm RM 1:9 twist, 168gr Berger Hunting VLD's @2950 fps with H1000. Close to the lands. Very accurate. This load is outside of SAMMI COAL, so understand that length may be an issue. Because of that I don't expect great results if I have to use factory ammo for some reason. But, it's just one example and every rifle (system) is different.

My 7 RM is a 9.25 twist. I shoot 168 VLD's and 175 ABLR. Both of these shoot great out of this rifle. I have tried the 180's and I couldn't keep the groups I wanted comparing the above bullets. I did find both bullets were picky on seating depths, but it wasn't hard to find the right load.

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 7.46.24 AM.jpg

Welcome to the Forum ,your getting great advice as per usual,I'd suggest that you crack open some of your fathers reloading manuals and compare several different bullets and their energies down range to the yardage you want , the 140 partition was mentioned,they also make a 150,&160&175 grainers, I've had several 7 mags and reloaded for them all,h1000 is great ,h-Retumbo ,can beat it , RL/25, RL/22 and the two new ones RL/23 &RL/26 all are great , I'd not hunt elk with the Berger's and that a Personal choice, out of a newer 7 mag 160 partitions cronographed 2960ish ,the 150's would do 3000 plus . Cheers n hunt Safe !.

Have you tried using Berger's stability calculator? It doesn't list the new 195-grain bullet, but it does list the 190-grain. Assuming 4,000 feet of elevation, 59 degrees, and a 2,800 fps muzzle velocity, you get an SG of 1.4. I'd guess with the 195 you'll have an SG of 1.3. That's indeed marginal, but depending on your elevation you may be ok. It's close enough that you can give it a try.