7mm Rem Mag on the decline?

You know, the more I think about this the more I'm inclined to believe that the 6.5C would be the most likely cartridge to cause the 7RM to decline. I'm not saying it is in decline.. just that if it were to be, I doubt most people would be switching to other magnums. They would probably switch to lower power cartridges because they are realizing they don't need magnum power in most situations. I know out west where you can easily take 500+ yard shots on giant muleys and elk the extra power is needed, but for most people who never even have the opportunity to shoot past 300 yards (much less hunt at 300 yards), the 6.5C is more than adequate. I felt like 20, 25 years ago magnums became almost en vogue. A lot of people decided they needed all that power whether they actually did or didnt. I suspect many people are reevaluating that given the popularity of the 6.5 cartridges.

I feel the same way about how velocity meant alot more before we had real good pocket range finders. But now that we know the range within a few yards wind drift is more important. So now I'm big into the long skinny bullets. Some day there might be a wind analyzing meter that can see wind all the way to the target and give you an exact value. Wouldn't that beat all. Better than sliced bread. And toilet paper.
Shep
Dopler Radar does that. It's uses right now is on-board aircraft and at airports looking at wind shear and flying around it when possible and making a landing possible when it's safe to do so. Have no idea if it's finding it's way to your hand yet. $$$$$

Dopler Radar does that. It's uses right now is on-board aircraft and at airports looking at wind shear and flying around it when possible and making a landing possible when it's safe to do so. Have no idea if it's finding it's way to your hand yet. $$$$$

Google Trijicon Ventus. It uses LIDAR, which is laser based. Same principle of detecting phase shift. $10K; available mid 2020. Measures wind in 3D out to 500 but I have heard it will extrapolate the wind to your target. RF goes to 5000 yards (has four 1580 nm lasers).

Last edited:
7rem is still popular... just a bit hard to get stuff for it now is all. I found that out when I bought my kid a 7rem last winter... I couldn't find much brass locally that wasn't a ripoff, so I bought a few boxes of factory ammo and scrounged up a few boxes of brass from the nooks and crannies around my shop. It'll do for now, but I'll eventually have to set him up a bit better on brass.

I think it has lost some steam lately, to the 280AI, 7saum, and the new group of 6.5's, but that doesn't mean it's dying out. I think the new bullets are giving new life to old cartridges. I think there is a resurgence in calibers like the 270win, 30-06, and 300wm. With the availability and cost of ammo for these old workhorses, generally speaking, I'm starting to lean back towards them and away from the hot young cartridges. I have been planning on a custom 270wsm for a few years, but now I'm thinking I want to find an old 270 and renew it.

I would argue that the 28 nosler is king of the 7mm's followed by the 7RUM. t's up to 200fps faster shooting same weight projectiles.
I shoot both RM and 28 and the 28 is in a different league IMO.

To the OP. Nothing wrong with the 7RM if you don't mind the belt and can find decent high performance factory loads if you don't want to reload.
I have a 28 nosler and love it! 195 Berger @2950 with great accuracy, but... the king of the 7mm? No. Come on, maybe if the 28 nosler is still available in year 2072. And that's only if 7mm mag went dead today.

You know, the more I think about this the more I'm inclined to believe that the 6.5C would be the most likely cartridge to cause the 7RM to decline. I'm not saying it is in decline.. just that if it were to be, I doubt most people would be switching to other magnums. They would probably switch to lower power cartridges because they are realizing they don't need magnum power in most situations. I know out west where you can easily take 500+ yard shots on giant muleys and elk the extra power is needed, but for most people who never even have the opportunity to shoot past 300 yards (much less hunt at 300 yards), the 6.5C is more than adequate. I felt like 20, 25 years ago magnums became almost en vogue. A lot of people decided they needed all that power whether they actually did or didnt. I suspect many people are reevaluating that given the popularity of the 6.5 cartridges.

I disagree that the 6.5 CM will cause a decline on the popularity of the 7mm Rem Mag, they aren't even on the same class, by a long shot.

Now it will cause or already did affect the popularity of the 308 Win, 7mm-08 Rem and maybe even the 243 Win, and possibly other cartridges in that category.

The 6.5 PRC maybe will affect the 7mm Rem Mag and maybe the 300 Win Mag also, if it really takes off and more companies produce ammo and brass for it.

I have a 28 nosler and love it! 195 Berger @2950 with great accuracy, but... the king of the 7mm? No. Come on, maybe if the 28 nosler is still available in year 2072. And that's only if 7mm mag went dead today.

I shoot both the 28 and the RM.
I couldn't justify calling the RM the king when the 28 throws 180's and 195's past 3050 without even breaking a sweat. The RM is awesome cartridge but would I chamber a new barrel in one? Hell no. Why would you when for the same bolt face you can gain so much more performance?

There really hasn't been any real need improvement in standard length action cartridges since the Winchester magnums and the 7mm RM hit the market.......everything else has been just marketing.......sorry but it's true.

The 300 prc is an improvement of the 300winmag. The Nosler line of magnums are an improvement too. It just makes sense to make them shorter so you can seat bullets properly. And even though my favorite cartridge had a belt and it doesn't bother me in the least dropping the belt is an improvement. Now this doesn't make the 7mag any less effective or any less desirable. But the 300 winmag is slightly too long and could use a longer neck. Still a great classic round just could of been better.
Shep

Blasphemy!
Getting rid of stupid belts, reducing taper, lengthening necks, and increasing shoulder angles are totally improvements.
Although admittedly most shooters will never realize the benefits of modern case designs, but dedicated LR shooters do

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.