7mm Rem Mag on the decline?

Dare I say that a 275 H&H, 7x61 or 7mm RemMag in a rifle that costs as much as some are spending on these new "wonder 7mms", with top quality ammo (headspacing on the shoulder) would shoot as well and kill anything just as dead ?

The original commercial 7mm Magnum.

IMG_3071.jpg
IMG_3072.jpg
IMG_3073.jpg

30 caliber ? That may be right. An old timer neighbor killed over 100 elk with his special order 94 rifle he bought in 1930. It was 30 caliber ---- as in 30-30 !

Ya gotta luv these "experts" who seem to think Elk are bullet proof !

30 caliber ? That may be right. An old timer neighbor killed over 100 elk with his special order 94 rifle he bought in 1930. It was 30 caliber ---- as in 30-30 !

Never said that. I'm just old and have followed a lot of blood trails. I hate them. I like good ones when I am forced to follow one.

Did you miss your appointment for therapy this week? You have medication you didn't take enough of, or a little too much of? There is no "need" for any rifles outside of defense of life and liberty. You can go anywhere and buy a steak. If you are competing with a rifle then there is a need for the best. Being a free market if you want to make it worth your effort and off-set your cost to create, you advertise - you know, marketing. Since we are a free nation and can hunt for game of all sorts all across the fruited plain, we look to the advancements in cartridges (most originate in competition) and use them.
Another thing to consider, a big percentage of shooters here do focus and think about our boys in arms. A lot of us spent time in Iraq or Viet Nam or Panama or some other shat hole and now a lot of us have Sons and Daughters that have taken the oath.

1587741358565.png

I feel it's Ground Hog Day the movie.......please just read my posts and don't add anything that you want to bring up for your narrative that is not relevant to my post. The 3 of you guys bring up things like competitive shooting.......cost benefit analysis......a society that has broken down and the ONLY pursuit we should have with our firearms is defense of life an liberty .......sniper rifles that are a very low % of the hunting public entertain.......huge increases in the HP and torque of diesel engines.......technology freezes.........and personal attacks.

I'll spell it out better.......the improvements / advancements in standard length cartridges since the Win. Mags and 7mm RM for hunting applications or Nimrod, (clearly I state there have been advancements and improvements and I clearly state standard length action and for the hunter) have not really been needed and have been minimal. Yes improvements but minimal for hunting applications........and if not for major marketing efforts, sales of these slightly improved cartridges for the hunter would be very low.

I think 6.5-300 may states my case with fewer words but you guys force a person to spell everything out.

Marketing hype sells the latest and greatest which helps the economy. No realistic hunter actually believes that the latest beltless 7mm magnum will make the slightest difference in killing that Elk at the ranges 99% of Elk are killed at compared to a 7mm remmag. "Minute of Elk" is a garbage can lid !

I haven't shot my 7 Mag in many years.....if I'm shooting .284 cal, it's either my 280 Rem or 280 Ackley..... but I have more hunters bring 7RMs into my camps than any other rifle! On the Decline? I don't think so!

Yeah. But if they knew they were delusional they would not be delusional. That's what is so fun about it. You can just see the serious disapproving look, the Natty Bumppo/"Straight Tongue", demeanor. "just not enough gun son."

Last edited:
Yeah. But if they knew they were delusional they would not be delusional. That's what is so fun about it. You can just see the serious disapproving look, the Natty Bumppo/"Straight Tongue", demeanor. "just not enough gun son."
Been a long time since anyone accused me of not using enough gun. I am often accused of the opposite though. Told you all I would get enough flak for a war, but I like big holes in stuff, and a drain hole. I don't see blood well at night. I need lots of it. Very often you can get spectacular kills on cervids with a high lungshot with very small calibers, especially if the velocity is still high. Sometimes you don't and the chase is on. The only time a big gun is a problem is if you cannot shoot it well. I would rather be delusional and cutting up meat in camp than running around in the dark trying to figure out which way he went. I have plenty of experience at both. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 7MM for elk. Bullets of similar construction and sectional density in 30 cal normally leave a little better blood trail, and often more reliable killers especially if the game is not really broadside. Even better with each step up, 8MM, 338, etc. Guess the 6.5 has obsoleted them all for younger folks. Pity.

Im sure in 1930 I could just walk up to the numerous elk and shoot one.I have several friends with one 62 bulls another at 40+,thats not counting cows.How many elk you shoot in florida

I agree with what other shooters/hunters have said. Back in the '70's, and '80's, ammo was what it was. Powders were still not as advanced as they are now, and bullet design was slowly making advances. I think sales overall might have leveled with regards to the 7mmRM, in some ways, but its popularity is right up there with the 300WM, and others. Its just recently that many shooters have focused on the 28, and 30 Nosler, some RUM calibers, PRC's, and other cool wildcats that now have become almost first choices based solely on the new powders/bullets we have to choose from. The list goes on and on. Same with custom rifle builders. The list of options/choices is endless. Still love my 338's, 7mm's and 264 Win. Mag.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.