7mm Rem Mag on the decline?

Im sure in 1930 I could just walk up to the numerous elk and shoot one.I have several friends with one 62 bulls another at 40+,thats not counting cows.How many elk you shoot in florida

You were hunting Elk in 1930 ?---- amazing.

There are far more Elk today than there were in 1930.

My home state has about as many as yours and far fewer people bothering them.

IME a big feral pig takes a lot more killing than an Elk.

Hey bee did you count the elk in 1930?
Amazing. How long did that take? You know I'm pulling your chain. Right
Shep🤣

I'm done doing research on animals. Once I found out buffalo lived in Washington DC and all along the east coast I was through.
Shep

Hello, I just got my first magnum, a 7mm Rem Mag Savage 110. It's used, and I bought it for the action. If I can shoot it as is for awhile, that's just a plus.

I'm not seeing as many factory ammo options as I used to, or at least as I seem to remember. There are a lot of "Unavailable, Limited Run" and "Unavailable, No Backorder" on websites. Do you think this is because demand is so high and they can't keep things in stock, or because new cartridges (PRC, 28 Nosler, etc) are starting to replace it? If it matters, I'm looking for ammo in the 150-162 range for my 1:9.5" factory barrel.
Try MidwayUSA.com. I just viewed their site and they have all kinds of 7mm Rem Mag ammo. It just depends on the price you want to pay. They have 150gr Federal for about $1.20/round. If you have a reloading press and dies, I doubt if you could get any lower than that. The cheapest brass alone is over $1.00 and by the time you get the primers, powder and bullets, not to mention the time involved and brass prep after fired, the cost would exceed that. However when you get into the higher quality ammo, it skyrockets to over $2.50/rd. Also check out Midsouth Shooters Supply, or for that matter your local Shooters Supply. I see lots of ammo out there for the 7mm Remington Mag. It just depends on how much you can afford to spend.

Agreed, and it was/is very high on my list. I really like the 280AI, probably better than the 7RM, but the lack of factory ammo is a problem for me. I don't have time to reload anymore, so I just shoot factory. That and when buying used it can be hard to get exactly what you want. I'm hoping to shoot this for 3, 4 years and see if the 280AI ammo selection is any better. On the other hand, I have a 270Win and feel like the 280AI is a little too close to that in power. The 7mm makes more sense in that regard. First world problem, that's for sure!
[/QUOTE
You mentioned earlier that you had an 06, and now the 270 and the 7mm. You really have your head on straight. These are probably the 3 most universal rifles made. All 3 are top notch for most North American game.

No pigs up here and a 30-30 going do you no good eitherElk winded you long before your close big country takes big rifle Only took me to twenty to learn that Six miles 3000 vert
CF59811F-C341-40D0-81FF-C681FD42F3D1.jpeg

Hello, I just got my first magnum, a 7mm Rem Mag Savage 110. It's used, and I bought it for the action. If I can shoot it as is for awhile, that's just a plus.

I'm not seeing as many factory ammo options as I used to, or at least as I seem to remember. There are a lot of "Unavailable, Limited Run" and "Unavailable, No Backorder" on websites. Do you think this is because demand is so high and they can't keep things in stock, or because new cartridges (PRC, 28 Nosler, etc) are starting to replace it? If it matters, I'm looking for ammo in the 150-162 range for my 1:9.5" factory barrel.
There's a ton of rifles out there chambered in 7mm rem mag. People are hoarding right now due to Corona virus. That's why they are out of stock. You will
heck no change that old barrel out ,, there is certainly something better than an old 7mm rem mag

a new 7mm rem mag !!
😂 You got my vote. The only thing better than an old 7mm rem mag is a new 7mm rem mag.

I would rather be delusional and cutting up meat in camp than running around in the dark trying to figure out which way he went.

I hear ya. Reminds me of the famous Jack O'connor, Elmer Keith debates when Keith said "I prefer to hunt my game before I shoot them."

Once I found out buffalo lived in Washington DC and all along the east coast I was through.

Found fossil Bison teeth in tidal creeks along the coast of South Carolina a few years ago.

Try MidwayUSA.com. I just viewed their site and they have all kinds of 7mm Rem Mag ammo. It just depends on the price you want to pay. They have 150gr Federal for about $1.20/round. If you have a reloading press and dies, I doubt if you could get any lower than that. The cheapest brass alone is over $1.00 and by the time you get the primers, powder and bullets, not to mention the time involved and brass prep after fired, the cost would exceed that. However when you get into the higher quality ammo, it skyrockets to over $2.50/rd. Also check out Midsouth Shooters Supply, or for that matter your local Shooters Supply. I see lots of ammo out there for the 7mm Remington Mag. It just depends on how much you can afford to spend.
Yup, that's why I'm feeding our 7rem with Winchester factories... Around a buck a casing for fresh brass is insane when you can buy ammo for barely over that; $20-30 a box here for WW stuff. I'll load what I want after I have a brass supply; I've got a couple thousand bullets on the shelf and already have a mild load developed that hits similar to the factory ammo.

Update!! I took the rifle to a friends property and wasnt able to close the bolt on factory ammo. After looking at it, it appears to have a 30-06 sized bolt face because the round is too big to be grabbed by the extractor. That leads me to believe someone took off the factory barrel and I dont want to blindly trust they got the head spacing right. I know checking headspace and replacing a bolt face arent the hardest things to do, but I'm going to take it to a 'smith and let them look it over since I dont have the necessary gauges. I've never had any real issues buying used, and I guess my number was finally drawn. No big deal except that we really wanted to shoot it. He was laughing at me for buying something so much more powerful than is needed around here (he considered his newly purchased 308 a step up to a "big boy gun", lol. He's just never shot bigger calibers because he's never had a reason too.)

Last edited:
Update!! I took the rifle to a friends property and wasnt able to close the bolt on factory ammo. After looking at it, it appears to have a 30-06 sized bolt face because the round is too big to be grabbed by the extractor. That leads me to believe someone took off the factory barrel and I dont want to blindly twist they got the head spacing right. I know checking headspace and replacing a bolt face arent the hardest things to do, but I'm going to take it to a 'smith and let them look it over since I dont have the necessary gauges. I've never had any real issues buying used, and I guess my number was finally drawn. No big deal except that we really wanted to shoot it. He was laughing at me for buying something so much more powerful than is needed around here (he considered his newly purchased 308 a step up to a "big boy gun", lol. He's just never shot bigger calibers because he's never had a reason too.)
Sounds like the previous owner played mix and match like a lot of people do with Savage rifles and screwed up when he went to trade it in, leaving the wrong bolt in it or wrong head on the bolt... I'd talk to the shop you bought it from, as said dim-whit may just want the bolt head for another rifle and get you the parts you need so it's only a headspacing job from being correct.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.