7MM Rem Mag Bullet Opinion

With your 9.5" twist I would run the 131g Hammer Hunter. You can run these at about 3400 fps with no trouble. Not sure of your hunting range with this rifle but ballistically this combo will be very good to 700y. Out to 500y it will be very tough to beat. I just ran JBM Ballistics at 5000' elev with this combo. I'll attach it here and see if it works.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

I have a stainless Ruger MII 7 Rem mag . I thought was 9.25 twist. Many years ago I always shot 150 and 140 gr. bullets. Belonging to LRH made me jump into heavies for my rifles. I found out after all that time my rifle loved 162 ELDX and especially 168 Berger HVLD. I don't shot my 7 Rem mag anymore but would like to try some 143 Hammer Hunters. I've had good luck with 181 in 300 RUM (and eventually 300 Win Mag) and 124 in 6.5 PRC and 6.5 Creed . And maybe 243.

These notes are from the factory twist rate files:

7mm Remington Magnum - 1 in 9" Husqvarna; Remington 40-XB, 700 (1969); Magnum Research Mountain Eagle; Thompson/Center Rifle
7mm Remington Mag. - 1 in 9 1/4" Remington 700
7mm Remington Mag. - 1 in 9 1/4" Savage 110, 111, 112, 114, 116; Sako; Winchester 70, 770; Ruger 1, 77 (old); Mossberg; Browning A-Bolt II, 81 BLR; Weatherby Mark V
7mm Remington Mag. - 1 in 9 1/2" Ruger (present); Savage (present)
7mm Remington Mag. - 1 in 10" .Browning; FN; Harrington & Richardson 300; Musketeer; Schultz & Larsen; Browning BAR Mark II; Weatherby Vanguard

You can argue opinions until someone actually measures one...;)

Enjoy!
I have a buddy that's been trying to find out what the twist rate of an old Parker Hale 7 Rem Mag is that he just got from his Grandfather. I have been reading up on but found they had different models over the years. Guessing it might be 9.5 twist ? If you have any info on it , it would be very appreciated but both of us.
Thanks !

More than likely twist is 1:9.5. Probably won't spin the mono. I hear people say all the time match bullet not good for hunting. That's not what they are designed for. Eldm is a match bullet. You decide.
Ttsx lrx or hammer hunter be good mono.
My wife shoots 139lrx and 131 hammer hunter.
150 accubond and eldx work really good.
I think the best bet is 150gr Accubond bullets. Being it's an older rifle and the twist isn't really up to it. Not say you can't but. The 150 will do the job even on elk to 500yds.

Hello all, I know this topic has been beat to death but I am going to venture down the path again. Recently inherited a 7mm Rem Mag that was my grandfathers gun, I'm looking at either reloading the new 150 grain Hornady CX or the 162 grain ELD-M(both are currently available to order), the main purpose for this rifle will be 500 yards and in and geared towards Deer and Antelope size game. Always a possibility that it could be used for elk but I have a 300 Win loaded with 200 grain bullets for that. Which bullet would you guys pick and why? I plan to order bullets this week and will be starting out load development with IMR 4831 as I have that on hand. I do plan to run these from the mag and the rifle is a Ruger M77 Tang Safety if that helps factor in any advice or opinion.

thanks all!
Another vote for the 162 ELD-M.

I own 2 7MM rem mags both of them shoot different bullets dude different bullets one shoots The cheap blue Box 150 grain federal unbelievable the other shoots the 162E LDX bullet I don't understand why people keep wanting to shoot an unethical bullet at animals in the EL DM it is strictly for target use Would you like to be shot with a bullet that does not design to kill you no you would not please stop telling people to shoot animals with a target bullet

I own 2 7MM rem mags both of them shoot different bullets dude different bullets one shoots The cheap blue Box 150 grain federal unbelievable the other shoots the 162E LDX bullet I don't understand why people keep wanting to shoot an unethical bullet at animals in the EL DM it is strictly for target use Would you like to be shot with a bullet that does not design to kill you no you would not please stop telling people to shoot animals with a target bullet

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Hello all, I know this topic has been beat to death but I am going to venture down the path again. Recently inherited a 7mm Rem Mag that was my grandfathers gun, I'm looking at either reloading the new 150 grain Hornady CX or the 162 grain ELD-M(both are currently available to order), the main purpose for this rifle will be 500 yards and in and geared towards Deer and Antelope size game. Always a possibility that it could be used for elk but I have a 300 Win loaded with 200 grain bullets for that. Which bullet would you guys pick and why? I plan to order bullets this week and will be starting out load development with IMR 4831 as I have that on hand. I do plan to run these from the mag and the rifle is a Ruger M77 Tang Safety if that helps factor in any advice or opinion.

thanks all!
I know you did not mention this one but if you can find them the Nosler 160 gr LR Accubond has worked fantastic for me. Still get full expansion down to 1300 fps! Love the 7! Best of luck!

Well if it's me I want a bullet that won't kill me personally. Also ethics are a personal deal. You don't decide my ethics. Doesn't make you wrong if your ethics are different than mine nor am I wrong because mine are different than yours. What matters is we follow the law.

I shot a whitetail at 647 yards with my Rem Mag with the 162 eldx. Dropped like a to. of bricks. As my dad, my friend and I went to retrieve it we saw it get up and start walking away. At 450 yards I laid down put another shot on him and he humped up and went down into a gully. My dad spotted the first shot and it was a good shot and on my second shot based on the blood I was seeing on the deer it was a solid shot. Deer shouldn't have ever got up. Never recovered this deer as there was almost most blood trail. I am not saying that I didn't muff the shots as I very well could have and I'm probably the weak link, but the bullet designed to kill didn't. Based on what I saw and my spotter saw this deer shouldn't have been lost. I saw another antelope walk away and disappear from what appeared to be a solid hit with the 162 eldx as well. Once again could have been a poor shot. But based on what I saw that antelope shouldn't have done what it did. So I struggle to have confidence in the bullet. My dad hasn't had any issues with it but my two experiences either personal or witnessing weren't positive. But once again I can't fully blame bullet as I neither animal was recovered so it could be any number of factors. What I saw could be wrong. I do wonder if I had been using the M instead of the X if my experience would have been different. But just cause something says target doesn't mean it can't reliably kill even if it doesn't kill the way you expect.

At that range and animal, I would look for something like an Accubond at 140 - 170 gr or maybe a better priced mono like the CX. Honestly, the Hornady Interbond might work great for you.

I like Ruger m77 rifles. You may have to experiment around and let the rifle decide what it likes best. I bet it is designed for 140s. It is hard to beat Accubonds.