7MM Rem Mag Bullet Opinion

Mountain Sloth

Hello all, I know this topic has been beat to death but I am going to venture down the path again. Recently inherited a 7mm Rem Mag that was my grandfathers gun, I'm looking at either reloading the new 150 grain Hornady CX or the 162 grain ELD-M(both are currently available to order), the main purpose for this rifle will be 500 yards and in and geared towards Deer and Antelope size game. Always a possibility that it could be used for elk but I have a 300 Win loaded with 200 grain bullets for that. Which bullet would you guys pick and why? I plan to order bullets this week and will be starting out load development with IMR 4831 as I have that on hand. I do plan to run these from the mag and the rifle is a Ruger M77 Tang Safety if that helps factor in any advice or opinion.

thanks all!

I'd go with the ELD because it costs less and I have an antiquated view of monolithic bullets that was probably fairly accurate many years ago.....

Finding 7mm bullets over 140 grains has been really hard for a while now, if you're going for deer and goats I would buy a bunch of the Berger 140's that are available lately and be done personally.

I'd go with the ELD because it costs less and I have an antiquated view of monolithic bullets that was probably fairly accurate many years ago.....

Finding 7mm bullets over 140 grains has been really hard for a while now, if you're going for deer and goats I would buy a bunch of the Berger 140's that are available lately and be done personally.
appreciate the reply!

ELDM over the mono anyday, I like big wound channels and the 162 eldm kills fantastically. But its personal preference. You'll get opinions all over the place.
I haven't had success in the one time I tried mono's but I'm willing to entertain the idea. I've heard good things about the ELDM.

Recently inherited a 7mm Rem Mag that was my grandfathers gun, I'm looking at either reloading the new 150 grain Hornady CX or the 162 grain ELD-M(both are currently available to order)

I suggest checking the twist rate of your barrel before buying any bullets to be sure you will have the stability you need.

Bullet availability is paramount these days. Test first then lay in a supply to support your choice. Components go in and out of stock fast and frequently these days.

Solid bullets (mono-metallic) are usually longer than the standard cup and core bullets so be sure to check loaded length vs magazine length and the required twist rate of course.

Enjoy!

:)

I've been using the Barnes 145 LRX (long range bullet) in my 280 ackley and last year it accounted for a cow elk at 420 YDS. The high lung shot had a perfect wound channel about 4 to 6 " from side to side. My velocity was 3000 for that shot and now with other powders I'm up to 3130, so about 100 FPS less than what you might expect from your 7 Mag. Reloader 19, 23 and 26 work pretty good in the Ackley and the latter two will probably be fine in your 7 Mag with this bullet.

I suggest checking the twist rate of your barrel before buying any bullets to be sure you will have the stability you need.

Bullet availability is paramount these days. Test first then lay in a supply to support your choice. Components go in and out of stock fast and frequently these days.

Solid bullets (mono-metallic) are usually longer than the standard cup and core bullets so be sure to check loaded length vs magazine length and the required twist rate of course.

Enjoy!

:)

Sable Tireur hit the nail in head, your barrel might not stabilize the 150gr Mono.

That said I'll take the cup and core, and, if available and for shots under 500 yds, I would recommend the 162gr SST instead. Less frangible yet explosive enough to take anything up to elk without issues. Up close and down range. The ELDM can fragment and fail to penetrate in up close shots, causing a slow death and/or a lost wounded animal. ELDX is also another great option.

More than likely twist is 1:9.5. Probably won't spin the mono. I hear people say all the time match bullet not good for hunting. That's not what they are designed for. Eldm is a match bullet. You decide.
Ttsx lrx or hammer hunter be good mono.
My wife shoots 139lrx and 131 hammer hunter.
150 accubond and eldx work really good.

More than likely twist is 1:9.5. Probably won't spin the mono. I hear people say all the time match bullet not good for hunting. That's not what they are designed for. Eldm is a match bullet. You decide.
Ttsx lrx or hammer hunter be good mono.
My wife shoots 139lrx and 131 hammer hunter.
150 accubond and eldx work really good.
hornady doesn't list a specific twist rate. I'm pretty sure its a 1:9.5 twist I'd imagine it will be okay at the elevations normally hunted, the area I live is at 4000', hunting area is around 6500-7500'. These are about the only two bullets available that I am interested in. I have thought about going the hammer route but I'm not entirely sold on monos but I'm willing to give them a shot.

This is sort of out of the blue but, I have had great accuracy and decent speed with 63.3 grains of H4831 lit by a CCI LRM primer under a Nosler 160gn Accu-bond loaded in WW brass case. The load has been more than acceptable on everything from coyotes and black bear to elk at the range you are looking for. Just an idea. My load was worked up properly and my best velocity and accuracy are above "book" values. I am loading for the same model in the OP's hands but please work up your loads properly, please. I forgot to add, the load works for antelope also.

These notes are from the factory twist rate files:

7mm Remington Magnum - 1 in 9" Husqvarna; Remington 40-XB, 700 (1969); Magnum Research Mountain Eagle; Thompson/Center Rifle
7mm Remington Mag. - 1 in 9 1/4" Remington 700
7mm Remington Mag. - 1 in 9 1/4" Savage 110, 111, 112, 114, 116; Sako; Winchester 70, 770; Ruger 1, 77 (old); Mossberg; Browning A-Bolt II, 81 BLR; Weatherby Mark V
7mm Remington Mag. - 1 in 9 1/2" Ruger (present); Savage (present)
7mm Remington Mag. - 1 in 10" .Browning; FN; Harrington & Richardson 300; Musketeer; Schultz & Larsen; Browning BAR Mark II; Weatherby Vanguard

You can argue opinions until someone actually measures one...;)

Enjoy!

This is sort of out of the blue but, I have had great accuracy and decent speed with 63.3 grains of H4831 lit by a CCI LRM primer under a Nosler 160gn Accu-bond loaded in WW brass case. The load has been more than acceptable on everything from coyotes and black bear to elk at the range you are looking for. Just an idea. My load was worked up properly and my best velocity and accuracy are above "book" values. I am loading for the same model in the OP's hands but please work up your loads properly, please. I forgot to add, the load works for antelope also.
If I could get my hands on some accubonds that would be my first choice. Don't have any real need to go over book loads and my accuracy will come first. Thanks for the info!

I find them around western Montana every now and then. If I find some, I would be happy to let you know what I find, how many are available and the price and send it to you via DM. Good luck out there, things are still pretty skinny. I would have no problems with the 160gn Nosler Ballistic tips on the deer and antelope sized game you will be hunting. Of course, I would buy and ship them to you if needed. An extra set of eyes never hurts.