7MM Rem Mag Bullet Opinion

I suggest checking the twist rate of your barrel before buying any bullets to be sure you will have the stability you need.

Bullet availability is paramount these days. Test first then lay in a supply to support your choice. Components go in and out of stock fast and frequently these days.

Solid bullets (mono-metallic) are usually longer than the standard cup and core bullets so be sure to check loaded length vs magazine length and the required twist rate of course.

Enjoy!

:)
I would look at the lack of support that gun gives the cartridges in the magazine. Notorious for beating up the tips of bullets. Seen it with the 270 and the mangled Noslar ballistic tips that were usless for bullet placement. That puts many bullets out of your guns use. However this is where a mono is of great use as their tuff enough to combat the recoil while in the magazine.
Good luck with your progress 😊
My Browning loves those 150 gn. ABLR but Noslar hasn't made a bullet in two years! When you get your load figured out buy all you can afford 👍🤠👍

ELDM over the mono anyday, I like big wound channels and the 162 eldm kills fantastically. But its personal preference. You'll get opinions all over the place.
What have you killed with the 162 eldm? I have 2 boxes of them I got from my dad I am wanting to try them in my Rem Mag. I see very little on them and quite a bit on the 180's. Any experiences shared would be helpful.

Don't overlook monos, they do a job. I have shot them from 243 win upto 375 h@h. Any bullet will kill, it's when we don't do our job that the problems exist...the critter to the left was shot with a mono. When it comes to money, I trust the mono. I have not tried the hammers, but I see them in my cabinet in the future. The bc's of the hammers look appealing to me..I have been a barnes fan for years, and they have never let me down from the start of the tsx...xlc's we won't go there....

Hello all, I know this topic has been beat to death but I am going to venture down the path again. Recently inherited a 7mm Rem Mag that was my grandfathers gun, I'm looking at either reloading the new 150 grain Hornady CX or the 162 grain ELD-M(both are currently available to order), the main purpose for this rifle will be 500 yards and in and geared towards Deer and Antelope size game. Always a possibility that it could be used for elk but I have a 300 Win loaded with 200 grain bullets for that. Which bullet would you guys pick and why? I plan to order bullets this week and will be starting out load development with IMR 4831 as I have that on hand. I do plan to run these from the mag and the rifle is a Ruger M77 Tang Safety if that helps factor in any advice or opinion.

thanks all!
185 gr match with r22,4831 sc r25,h1000 or the like! Ladder it you might get this 1949 pre 64 winchester

I know it's not either bullet you asked about, but I got great results on mule deer & pronghorn antelope from my 7mm Rem Mag using the plain ol' 160 grain Sierra GameKing launched at about 3050 fps. I was going to hunt with Nosler Partitions and was just using the GameKing for some practice sessions but it shot well from my Ruger Number One... So I shrugged my shoulders and tried it. No photo of the pronghorn, but recovered the bullet from my mule deer taken at about 150 yards.

hgWXWNgh.jpg

Re the 150 gr Hornady CX, I ran two into Clear Ballistics Gel blocks, one at 3200 fps and one at 2800 fps. Range was about 10 yards so, quite high impact velocity. Haven't yet tested again at lower velocity. That will be a someday project. They sure penetrated and expanded well at those speeds. The 150 CX is similar in length to a conventional 175 grain Sierra GameKing, which the standard 1:9.5 twist 7mm Rem Mag had no trouble stabilizing.

Link to the article and the video:

I've taken mule deer, pronghorn and elk with the 7mm Rem Mag, it worked great on all of them. Have also seen it used on black bear and grizzly with success. Lots of good 7mm hunting bullets have been made, but of course right now availability is spotty. Glad I have a decent stash of 7mm bullets from Hornady, Sierra and Nosler.

Regards, Guy

I would look at the lack of support that gun gives the cartridges in the magazine. Notorious for beating up the tips of bullets. Seen it with the 270 and the mangled Noslar ballistic tips that were usless for bullet placement. That puts many bullets out of your guns use. However this is where a mono is of great use as their tuff enough to combat the recoil while in the magazine.
Good luck with your progress 😊
My Browning loves those 150 gn. ABLR but Noslar hasn't made a bullet in two years! When you get your load figured out buy all you can afford 👍🤠👍
oh I'm definitely aware that the magazine length is going to be a hurdle. I really don't plan on pushing this gun super hard just want accuracy and its got some sentimental value to it as well.

I know it's not either bullet you asked about, but I got great results on mule deer & pronghorn antelope from my 7mm Rem Mag using the plain ol' 160 grain Sierra GameKing launched at about 3050 fps. I was going to hunt with Nosler Partitions and was just using the GameKing for some practice sessions but it shot well from my Ruger Number One... So I shrugged my shoulders and tried it. No photo of the pronghorn, but recovered the bullet from my mule deer taken at about 150 yards.

hgWXWNgh.jpg

Re the 150 gr Hornady CX, I ran two into Clear Ballistics Gel blocks, one at 3200 fps and one at 2800 fps. Range was about 10 yards so, quite high impact velocity. Haven't yet tested again at lower velocity. That will be a someday project. They sure penetrated and expanded well at those speeds. The 150 CX is similar in length to a conventional 175 grain Sierra GameKing, which the standard 1:9.5 twist 7mm Rem Mag had no trouble stabilizing.

Link to the article and the video:

I've taken mule deer, pronghorn and elk with the 7mm Rem Mag, it worked great on all of them. Have also seen it used on black bear and grizzly with success. Lots of good 7mm hunting bullets have been made, but of course right now availability is spotty. Glad I have a decent stash of 7mm bullets from Hornady, Sierra and Nosler.

Regards, Guy
If I happen across any gamekings I'm more than willing to try them, I do plan to make a run to all the LGS's this Sunday before I hit the order now button. The two bullets I mentioned are just readily available and something along the lines of what I'm looking for.

If I was mainly hunting deer and antelope I'd opt for the 162 myself. If I wanted to use it on elk, I'd keep my shots on ribs and not expect a ton bone breaking power. Just my thoughts. A 7 Rem is easy stuff.
Mainly a deer gun, if I'm specifically going after elk the 7mm will be in the case as a back up to my 300 win mag. The 7 is a little handier than my 26' + breaked 300 so it could see some use on the SXS this fall as well..

Mainly a deer gun, if I'm specifically going after elk the 7mm will be in the case as a back up to my 300 win mag. The 7 is a little handier than my 26' + breaked 300 so it could see some use on the SXS this fall as well..
I think a lot of stuff will work great for deer then for what you're wanting to do. Love the 7mms myself so as long as they're accurate in your rifle I'd bet you don't have much issue. The 162 should be an excellent deer zapper. I'd just be a bit more wary up close at about 2800 impact speeds but after that I wouldn't have too much concern.

I'm thinking they won't make many tracks.

Hello all, I know this topic has been beat to death but I am going to venture down the path again. Recently inherited a 7mm Rem Mag that was my grandfathers gun, I'm looking at either reloading the new 150 grain Hornady CX or the 162 grain ELD-M(both are currently available to order), the main purpose for this rifle will be 500 yards and in and geared towards Deer and Antelope size game. Always a possibility that it could be used for elk but I have a 300 Win loaded with 200 grain bullets for that. Which bullet would you guys pick and why? I plan to order bullets this week and will be starting out load development with IMR 4831 as I have that on hand. I do plan to run these from the mag and the rifle is a Ruger M77 Tang Safety if that helps factor in any advice or opinion.

thanks all!
Hey mountain I have a box of Sierra 140 gr flat base spritzer tip bullets if you want em send me your info and I'll ship em out. Have had em for a bit it says $7.50 on the box. I had a 7mm mag great for speed goats and black bear I shot an elk 3 times with 168 Sierra game kings and he just stood there after a small panic attack I put 3 more rounds in the gun shot and hit him in the spine and he dropped all three where in the boiler room and all where kill shots he never took a step but anyone that has hunted elk knows if he's standing I'm shooting. Next day a buddy shot his with a .300 win mag dropped like a sack of dirt he hit his about the same spot as I did right behind the front shoulder but his went in one side and out the other needless to say that gun is now a .338 win mag. Let me know if you want em